Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761872 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9271 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:53 am »
Finally stopped procrastinating and registered to take the 17-hour DMV sponsored Motorcycle Safety course in late April, so assuming all goes well I should have my class "M"-license early May :D.  

I opted to take the most expensive course offering since I'm a complete motorcycle noob... this course option has two instructors that will teach a maximum of 6 students, giving each student more personalized and individual attention when practicing and developing driving technique.  People have told me the basic rider course would suffice, but for me the smaller class size means less anxiety about being a noob and is worth the extra $60.

I've had multiple people tell me that driving a motorcycle in Maryland is like asking for death, but I don't really care about the higher risk of death... honestly, if I were to die tomorrow, while I may have regrets about having never loved and been loved, regret not having done this or that, etc., ultimately I think it would be an unfortunate but convenient relief to get out of the chore of life.  

Not that I could ever deliberately bring myself to commit suicide, I rationalize that it would be rather silly to do so considering all the time, money, and effort my family and I have put into it already; it would void my life insurance policy anyways.  But I think in a way I subconsciously welcome the thrill of possible death, as there's little to no excitement in my life currently, and the thrill of the ride may be just what I need to start thirsting for life again.  Besides, I hear people have revelations and a whole new perspective on their lives after brushing up against death.  Whether the consequences of getting my motorcycle license ends in death or not, I see it as a win-win situation.

Man, winter makes me damn emo.  Fuck SAD.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:08:10 am by while1 »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9272 on: February 10, 2011, 03:49:13 pm »
"What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can't move, with no hope of rescue[about to die from a motorcycle accident]. Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your current circumstances seems more likely, consider how lucky you are that it won't be troubling you much longer." -Douglas Adams

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »
And just 'cuz I hate you for having such awesome speeds, here's what I got after taking the test twice:

I'll sell you half my bandwidth for only $100/month!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:47 pm »
My next quarter consists of: quantum mechanics, electricity & magnetism (pt. 2 of 3), operating systems, computer architecture (pt. 2 of 2).

Last spring quarter was: intro to food science & technology (LOL), intro to linguistics (LOL), introduction to statistical methods with computers (LOL), ethics in philosophy (LOL). It was my quarter to take GE classes. Now I'm onto major-specific ones.

My last spring quarter I skipped class every single day in May. If I skip even a week this quarter I'll likely fail everything. Growing up stinks!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: February 10, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
Yeah I have classes like that too newby. It sucks  :'( . are you going to be graduating next year?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »
I want to get ripped... but that will mean bulking up- at least that's what everyone keeps telling me, meaning I'd have to eat lots of food/ calories.  My two issues with increasing my caloric intake is 1)  increased money on food 2) I can't slack on the working out part, else I'd just be fattening up instead of bulking up with muscle.  Doh!

Anyways, I need to get ripped to compensate for my introverted personality if a women is ever going to love me :(.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: February 13, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
Yeah I have classes like that too newby. It sucks  :'( . are you going to be graduating next year?

Hopefully. Probably not. But we'll see. I'm meeting with an advisor this Friday to talk about things.

Anyways, I need to get ripped to compensate for my introverted personality if a women is ever going to love me :(.

I'm beginning to think that too. But I legitimately don't have time I'd like to spend at the gym. Any free time I get is generally in the evenings when the gym is packed. I'm impatient. Maybe I'll start routines in my room or something. I have those P90X videos I stole from my mom. Maybe that'll be useful.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9278 on: February 13, 2011, 07:46:08 pm »
I can assure you there exist women who don't find that sort of thing attractive.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:53 pm »
I can assure you there exist women who don't find that sort of thing attractive.
the insane minority

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9280 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »
the insane minority
I'm not a women, but I feel I still deserve an opinion on the subject.

IMO, fit/toned is okay, but muscly (muscleful?) is unnecessary up to gross, depending on the bulkage.

Everybody has different tastes, though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9281 on: February 14, 2011, 12:19:21 am »
the insane minority

I should probably change what I said to "There exist women who find other sorts of things at least as attractive."

Of the women I've met, the ones who don't find that kind of thing attractive are more interesting people.  I'm not sure why that is, but there seems to be a pretty strong correlation in my experience.

I hate masculinity, and I think I appreciate it when a women does too.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: February 14, 2011, 11:02:45 pm »
I got a kobo! :) It's basically a cheaper Kindle. I was hesitant to purchase one from $140, but I figured for $100, it was worth it.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9283 on: February 14, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »
I got a kobo! :) It's basically a cheaper Kindle. I was hesitant to purchase one from $140, but I figured for $100, it was worth it.

Awesome!

The non-3G Kindles are $120 now, right?

My sister got me a Kindle for my birthday.  It's really awesome for travelling, and it's nice being able to read it on the beach (harder to use something like an iPad on the beach).

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: February 15, 2011, 12:06:39 am »
Awesome!

The non-3G Kindles are $120 now, right?

My sister got me a Kindle for my birthday.  It's really awesome for travelling, and it's nice being able to read it on the beach (harder to use something like an iPad on the beach).
They're actually $139. I just wanted something to read on my 30 minute bus rides every few days of the week. Reading equation-dense textbooks makes me light-headed. It's tough to concentrate with the underpaid, pissed off bus drivers slamming on the gas and brake pedals. Besides the original gameboy/gameboy pocket, I've always had a tough time with computer screens.
errr... something like that...