Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761872 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2006, 09:10:13 pm »
I'm very excited.  Today I got a difficult project to work, it has taken me months to get this far and a month to debug the algorithm.  The project is to create a breaking wave simulation.  At the moment, it is only 2d, but I've been trying to generalize the design so that it is easy to add dimensions.  The project was originally for Numerical Analysis II but has sprouted into a research project to make some computations faster ... I haven't got to that part yet, I still have to finish the simulator before I can add the optimizations.
So anyways, I created a pretty important part of the simulator, it does velocity advection ... now I have to add the interface tracking and a few other peices to it before I can simulate breaking waves.

Here is a picture of a 100-level contour plot of the voriticity (at time = 1.8 ) ... how much "whirl" there is to the velocity.  In this case its defined as Uy-Vx where U and V are velocity ... they are not cute formulas, they are grids with velocity values (discretized).

A glimpse of my work environment :)

I'll set up my SDF website and link the source here in a bit.

I didn't do this all by myself...my Numerical II professor has helped me out a bit, here is his site:
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~sussman/

I recommend you browse his "pretty pictures."
Now back to celebration! :D
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2006, 10:42:19 pm »
My guess is he was (invalidly) using the word in a far more general sense.

I was joking :P.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2006, 10:49:55 pm »
I was joking :P.

Haha, I considered that, but not enough, evidently.

(Post-laugh: hahahahaha).

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #828 on: September 16, 2006, 12:03:31 am »
Really neat, Rule!  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2006, 01:56:44 am »
While I strive to makes all of my jokes "neat," I think you mean nslay. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2006, 02:37:59 am »
hmm, so the girl called me after her play & we (me, her, my friend, & her friend...eventually my friend left) walked around campus for a while.

Once we got back near the dorms Jared mentioned to Christina (girl I'm into) that Val (Christina's roommate) was back from her date.  Christina & Friend1 promptly shot off to Christina's dorm room to converse.  no hug or bye really.:(

trust

« Reply #831 on: September 16, 2006, 02:29:15 pm »
so my friend and i went to two mac workshops today at the newly opened apple store here. They were pretty cool. We both really want to buy one but they're so damn expensive (and I currently have my eyes on: Dell Axim, Nintendo Wii, the new iPod shuffle (for running), iPod video, and ipod speakers.) So....although that's going to be spread out some (with the shuffle and pda probably being the first things bought) there really isnt going to be money for a mac (hello grad present?) So the solution was for us to get jobs there....but unfortunately you have to be 18...so he can get one, but I can't. I think I'd be better fit though as he's not anything close to a computer enthusiast...where at least I have experience with programming, hardware, etc. But ehhh..he'll be trained and then i'lluse his employee discount lol.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 16, 2006, 10:32:09 pm »
<snip>
That's pretty awesome.  /gives eProps
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #833 on: September 16, 2006, 10:39:10 pm »
While I strive to makes all of my jokes "neat," I think you mean nslay. :)

Fine, you're no longer cool, and all cool you ever had goes to nslay.  GG'd.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #834 on: September 17, 2006, 12:48:16 am »
so my friend and i went to two mac workshops today at the newly opened apple store here. They were pretty cool. We both really want to buy one but they're so damn expensive (and I currently have my eyes on: Dell Axim, Nintendo Wii, the new iPod shuffle (for running), iPod video, and ipod speakers.) So....although that's going to be spread out some (with the shuffle and pda probably being the first things bought) there really isnt going to be money for a mac (hello grad present?) So the solution was for us to get jobs there....but unfortunately you have to be 18...so he can get one, but I can't. I think I'd be better fit though as he's not anything close to a computer enthusiast...where at least I have experience with programming, hardware, etc. But ehhh..he'll be trained and then i'lluse his employee discount lol.

Don't waste your money on an iPod shuffle. They're small and you have no way of (quickly) selecting your song. Get a real iPod and the wristband with a clip for one. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

trust

« Reply #835 on: September 17, 2006, 01:32:45 am »

Don't waste your money on an iPod shuffle. They're small and you have no way of (quickly) selecting your song. Get a real iPod and the wristband with a clip for one. :)

I have a regular iPod. AFAIK they only make armbands for the iPod nano. The new shuffles are sweet. Have you seen them? They just like...clip right on your clothes. Definitely a simplicty aspect to that. I'd be willing to pay the $80 for it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2006, 01:36:39 am »
The lack of control would suck, I must admit.  I'm sure they make holster-type things and armbands for normal iPods.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 18, 2006, 01:04:07 pm »
meh.
wednesday asked her to a movie & she said sure. called back a while later & said she had a play to go to she forgot about. I asked if she wanted to hang after, she said 'of course' & I just said give me a call. she called & efrain, myself, christina, & adrienne walked campus a bit...efrain left (god knows where to). got back to dorms & ted was just leaving (dropped off val, aww) & christina & adrienne shot up to vals room, no goodbye.

when they were leavin bonfire I asked her if she wanted to catch a movie this afternoon she said "sure, whos going"...when i asked if she just wanted to go with me she paused & said she does have her 3 page paper to write. i just said give me a call.
-no call...got a message (myspace) around 530(after josh asked her if she was going with me, which freaked me out...oye josh being pushy) sayin she had too much homework.

mixed signals between her sounding excited about the first movie, and the not at all for the second movie asking.
oh well, good game I spose

maybe I should take out my UBER liberal friend a few times and what happens there
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:37:26 pm by CrAz3D »

trust

« Reply #838 on: September 18, 2006, 05:11:03 pm »
So as I'm sure a few of you know...my dad works for Ford here in Virginia at the plant. Well, they're closing the plan a year earlier than expected (actually like a year and a half)...spring of next year. This is particularly devastating because his job was very well paying and I've always....had stuff just kind of given to me. My mom was able to work 3 hours a day just for extra spending money for trips to the hair stylist and such. Well, after the car accident a couple of months ago my dad hasn't been able to work (he's went once - the day before they had the plant shut down for however many weeks it is) and of course disability checks are not that great. Pretty much we're waiting for the lawsuit to finish going through (but that won't be for awhile..lost wages/pain and suffering/etc.) and if my uncle dies he's left everything to my stepdad (which consists of his house and his truck basically.) So my parents have been just in fowl moods and arguing allot recently because of this (my college education was invested in Ford...and now that Ford stock is worth nothing, I guess my grandparents will be paying for my college? I don't know. I'm not sure how financial aid will work out, since I have to list the previous years taxes which will prove to be quite good. Everythign has changed for me pretty quickly, since it's actually now more difficult to buy groceries, pay for my sisters private school, etc. etc. and my job is now paying for stuff like clothes instead of just eating out and lacrosse equipment.

Anyway, my dads going to apply for the transfer to the Detroit plant, and if he gets it will be moving up there with some friends and living in an apartment until the end of the school year and then I guess we'll move up there...then I'll be off to college. The suburb we'd be living in was rated like the #1 place to raise a family, it's Ann Arbor where the U of MI is located. The houses there are like less than or equal to the value of mine, and they're 2+ times the size, accompanied with like 1.5 acres of land. After seeing him looking at them online...this is like the only time I've liked the idea of them moving up there/not been pissed about him losing his job and spending his time on disability sitting home playing online poker and getting mad at me for stuff.

Except there's no sailing in Detroit. :(

I'm not sure why I decided to post this..it was just on my mind.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 18, 2006, 05:34:26 pm »
My chem professor is really diappointed in the class, and he has a right to be.  He shows us exactly what will be on the quizzes, and still over half the people fail them.  He doesn't just randomly decide to throw in stuff we haven't done yet.  Every single problem he gives us is either exactly like what we do for examples or slight expansions of the subject.  For example, we had to derive the temperature conversion equation from Celsius to Fahrenheit for an example.  On the quiz, he gave us an imaginary scale, and we had to derive the conversion equation again.  Nothing new, just an expansion and people still missed it.

It annoys me when people complain about the pace of the class (saying it's too slow) and then fail the quizzes.  If it was too slow, one could make the assumption that the whiner would know the material frontwards and backwards, but they don't. I guess I just think it's wrong to say the class is too simple and then fail it.
errr... something like that...