Author Topic: Microsoft Pays Real  (Read 5057 times)

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
Microsoft Pays Real
« on: October 12, 2005, 10:14:44 pm »
lmfao

http://www.torrentspy.com/article.asp?id=3743

i for one will NEVER EVER use Real Player. i dont care if they suck my dick to make me do it

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Pays Real
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:25:48 pm »
Who cares about WMP vs RealPlayer, they both are horrible. RealAlternative and BSPlayer for life. Plus:

Real alleged that Microsoft abused its position by bundling Windows Media Player with every PC on the planet.

Hrm.. didn't know WMP worked on Linux. Linux is a PC? And since when does WMP have a PowerPC version out? Hrmm, no dice.

[iago edit] fixed quote tag
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:24:47 am by iago »
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 10:40:59 pm »
Who cares? It's their fucking product.

I think I'm going to sue Microsoft for making an operating system where the system folder directories are based on the backslash ('\') versus the standard forward slash ('/').

Who's with me?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:30 pm »
it's their product. they can do whatever they want to do with it

@Quik:Media Player Classic > BSPlayer

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 11:27:07 pm »

Five days later when your using BSPlayer, you won't have that opinion anymore. ::)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:06 am »

Five days later when your using BSPlayer, you won't have that opinion anymore. ::)

VLC Media Player.

You can play fucking text files.

It's a win.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 09:26:10 am »
I still like my mplayer. :)

This is pretty much the same issue as the anti-virus companies in another thread.  Microsoft driving down other companies. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 09:26:39 am »
Do you know why there are laws like this? To prevent companies from becoming such a huge monopoly and basically take over the market.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:36:02 am »

VLC Media Player.

You can play fucking text files.

It's a win.
A media player that plays text files, so wrong, and yet so insecure sounding.

Do you know why there are laws like this? To prevent companies from becoming such a huge monopoly and basically take over the market.
Still their product, if they don't like it they download WinAmp or something of the sort, you get a lot of shit programs with Mac as well, but you're not bitching at them because they're not as big? Don't bitch at Microsoft then simply because they're more popular.

It's one of those glorious Microsoft tricks - do what is necessary to win the market, then just pay whatever compensation afterwards. The marketshare, in this case almost total, is worth far more than a poxy few million dollars.
Like I said before, EVERY company does it, Microsoft is just bigger and more known, don't bitch at them because they're the only one you know about who's doing it.

Btw Mangix, don't get your facts from a torrent site.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:39:02 am »
Still their product, if they don't like it they download WinAmp or something of the sort, you get a lot of shit programs with Mac as well, but you're not bitching at them because they're not as big? Don't bitch at Microsoft then simply because they're more popular.
Microsoft being popular makes a world of a difference. Sure, they didn't do anything wrong, but when you get that popular and other products such as Real are getting less and less popular, somebody needs to step in to make sure that Microsoft doesn't get that monopoly and overcharge.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 10:41:17 am »
I personally think they were foolish to fork out the money, but that's just me.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 03:46:17 pm »
Microsoft being popular makes a world of a difference. Sure, they didn't do anything wrong, but when you get that popular and other products such as Real are getting less and less popular, somebody needs to step in to make sure that Microsoft doesn't get that monopoly and overcharge.
Find a law that says a business can't be good and use their own sofware on their own product and I'll even bother arguing this with you.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:07 pm »
If they were forced to pay Real because of this, it's obviously a law. If it wasn't a law, Microsoft wouldn't of payed. I also really don't care about proving anything to you.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 05:29:23 pm »
If they were forced to pay Real because of this, it's obviously a law. If it wasn't a law, Microsoft wouldn't of payed. I also really don't care about proving anything to you.

You would be surprised at the number of times Microsoft paid somebody so they didn't take them to court and waste their time and expenses for lawyers... :P

It's their product. There are alternatives. One company is not going to turn Microsoft into a monopoly. If there is one working alternative, they are not a monopoly.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 05:33:14 pm »
Scr33n0r, I love you. I can't count how many times you've said..
Find [...] and I'll even bother arguing this with you.

Yeah, its stuff like this that makes me glad that I have no part in anything Microsoft related.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.