Author Topic: Torture in prisons?  (Read 13128 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Torture in prisons?
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:41:05 am »
This was stolen from Grok, on vL (gotta give credit :P)

White House:  "We do not torture."

White House:  "We will vetoe any bill that outlaws torture."

Secret Prisons run by US outside the US to avoid US law:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/08/prison.probe/index.html

Discuss.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Torture in prisons?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 09:20:38 am »
I'm rather disappointed.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 04:53:56 pm »
Wow, that's stupid.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 05:00:33 pm »
Duh, its America!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

trust

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 06:19:03 pm »
If we don't do it why waist money enacting a law to keep us from doing it?

I don't care if we do it or not; what's more important: possibly saving millions, or hurting one person?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 07:20:59 pm »

I don't care if we do it or not; what's more important: possibly saving millions, or hurting one person?
To make sure it never happens.  Why would they refuse to enact a law that could only serve to help, unless they actually think it would hinder them?

I can't believe you would condone torture.  Although I don't see how it could save millions.  If anybody found out that torture was involved, I'd reckon that there's be more terrorist attacks.  Don't forget that people attack America because they hate it, so don't you think that they'd hate it more if they found out that that was happening?

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:29:25 pm »
Of course they torture people.  There never was a doubt in my mind that they didn't in the first place.  And even if they did enact a law to stop it they'd keep doing it.
-RoMi

trust

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 07:36:03 pm »

To make sure it never happens.  Why would they refuse to enact a law that could only serve to help, unless they actually think it would hinder them?

I can't believe you would condone torture.  Although I don't see how it could save millions.  If anybody found out that torture was involved, I'd reckon that there's be more terrorist attacks.  Don't forget that people attack America because they hate it, so don't you think that they'd hate it more if they found out that that was happening?

No I don't think it would affect the terrorist ideas very much. It's a religious-fuled war, to them anyway, they're fighting for Allah against their religious foe. The only people that really would care are people in America, and people that would rather yell at us from a distance instead of getting into a war with us.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:53:25 pm »

No I don't think it would affect the terrorist ideas very much. It's a religious-fuled war, to them anyway, they're fighting for Allah against their religious foe. The only people that really would care are people in America, and people that would rather yell at us from a distance instead of getting into a war with us.

Do you really think they (or their God) would hate you so much for no reason?  You can't be THAT blind to believe that's the only reason.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:30:26 pm »
I'm siding with trust, if you gotta torture one man to save thousands then by all means do it. Now if they are just torturing to get some sick twisted pleasure out of it. Fuck them..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 12:07:36 am »
Do you really think they (or their God) would hate you so much for no reason?  You can't be THAT blind to believe that's the only reason.

Yes.  Im pretty sure they believe their leader/creator hates every other religion (and the people who practice them).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 12:36:10 am »
Yes.  Im pretty sure they believe their leader/creator hates every other religion (and the people who practice them).
Assuming he does, why?  Why would they hate somebody who's innocent?  And what about athiests, do they hate them too?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 12:39:35 am »
Assuming he does, why?  Why would they hate somebody who's innocent?  And what about athiests, do they hate them too?

Why are you asking me?  I don't practice their religion.  All I know is they believe it's true.  :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 01:48:20 am »
Why are you asking me?  I don't practice their religion.  All I know is they believe it's true.  :)
You seem to know enough to condemn them.  But now you admit you don't know much about it?  I tend to make a practice to not condemn people for beliefs that I don't know/understand. 

trust

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 05:12:29 am »

Because the radical Islamics just do. They're stuck in the dark ages and theink they're still fighting in a jihad (and have called it that). America is an overall Christian nation, and anyone that supports it (including by living here, notice muslims died on 9/11) is their enemy and deserves to die.