Author Topic: Scary Moment  (Read 10963 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Scary Moment
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:16:05 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling.  It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits. 

For a split second, I was almost expecting a voice or something to come out, or something else really really creepy. 

It turns out that I just put my foot on the cord, which grounded it or something. 

Was a neat moment, though, I don't get scared often :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Scary Moment
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:26:14 pm »
We have a computer here at work which has a set of speakers which an interesting "feature."  Anytime you send a job to the printer located about 3 feet away, the speakers will make a series of high pitched squeak/beep type sounds.  The sounds are the same every time, reminds me of something out of a 70's sci-fi movie  :D  (everyone that has looked at it has been unable to find a reason but its so funny that we don't bother replacing the speakers or even find out if they are the cause)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:31:09 pm »
We have a computer here at work which has a set of speakers which an interesting "feature."  Anytime you send a job to the printer located about 3 feet away, the speakers will make a series of high pitched squeak/beep type sounds.  The sounds are the same every time, reminds me of something out of a 70's sci-fi movie  :D  (everyone that has looked at it has been unable to find a reason but its so funny that we don't bother replacing the speakers or even find out if they are the cause)

What I'm curious is if it's the printer, or the speakers.  Or both?

The first thing that comes to mind involves magnets, but I'm not sure if printers use magnets?

How do they behave around cellular or cordless phones?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:55:18 pm »
My vans stereo beeps, three seconds before a cell phone will. :)

I have speakers that I have attached an antena too, and got some amplitude modulation radio station. :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:12:57 pm »
@iago: I haven't looked at it in a while but the printer is definately too far away for it to be magnetic interference.  The computer right next to it with the same type of speakers does not have the same "feature."  If we do ever replace them, maybe I can keep the speakers :)

@blaze: when I visit my parents and use the computer in the basement, the monitor will distort from the interference just before a call (if my phone is near it)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 04:55:29 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling.  It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits. 

For a split second, I was almost expecting a voice or something to come out, or something else really really creepy. 

It turns out that I just put my foot on the cord, which grounded it or something. 

Hahah that's great. Your the kind of person spookers love to spook!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 05:06:51 pm »

Haha, that's pretty funny.  White Noise was a pretty good movie, I enjoyed it; especially considering all of the other people I know that saw it said it sucked.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:18:58 pm »
I'm sitting here working on some T&T stuff, when suddenly my speakers (which are turned on, but not plugged into anything) start crackling. It reminded me of scenes from The Ring, Whitenoise, and The Outer Limits.

:) Thats cool that it actually scared you! It must be because your canadian, they have special powers or something... ;)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:48:03 pm »

Haha, that's pretty funny.  White Noise was a pretty good movie, I enjoyed it; especially considering all of the other people I know that saw it said it sucked.

I didn't like it much.  It didn't really go anywhere, and there weren't a lot of surprises or twists, it was all pretty predictable.  It could have been a lot better, I thought. 

I didn't think it sucked, though. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 05:51:15 pm »
I didn't like it much.  It didn't really go anywhere, and there weren't a lot of surprises or twists, it was all pretty predictable.  It could have been a lot better, I thought. 

Haha.  It was a lot better than The Ring 2, I'll tell you that much...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 06:02:35 pm »

Haha.  It was a lot better than The Ring 2, I'll tell you that much...

I haven't seen it. 

I liked Skeleton Key more than Whitenoise, though.  I saw it last night :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:09:37 pm »
I haven't seen it. 

I liked Skeleton Key more than Whitenoise, though.  I saw it last night :)

Don't.  It's horrible... there's no point to it!

I haven't seen Skeleton Key.  I don't usually watch horror movies, but lately I've been watching a lot of movies with my friends.

trust

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 06:12:06 pm »

White Noise sucked. I am a pussy (or was?) when it came to scary movies, so when I went to see White Noise I was expecting to be scared out of my mind. It was so stupid. I mean, at least it had some scary stuff in the way the movie was made (ala "The Others") but then at the end with the CGI ghosts. Talk about lame.

Skeleton Key was OK though, but not scary imo.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 06:31:52 pm »
No, Skeleton Key isn't really scary, just creepy. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 06:38:56 pm »
White Noise sucked. I am a pussy (or was?) when it came to scary movies, so when I went to see White Noise I was expecting to be scared out of my mind. It was so stupid. I mean, at least it had some scary stuff in the way the movie was made (ala "The Others") but then at the end with the CGI ghosts. Talk about lame.

Skeleton Key was OK though, but not scary imo.

Haha, I was expecting it to be a lot more freaky too.