Author Topic: WINE can beat XP!  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
WINE can beat XP!
« on: January 21, 2006, 03:38:05 am »
Wow! Check this out... WINE beat XP in 67 out of 147 tests :O!
http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: WINE can beat XP!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:42:51 am »
This belongs in Linux, eh?

Not to mention we already know that WINE pwns XP in every possible way, except where it lost.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 10:41:49 am »
So, wine is better at running older games and outdated benchmarks at low resolutions. Cool!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:53:07 am »
amen.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 12:15:08 pm »
So, wine is better at running older games and outdated benchmarks at low resolutions. Cool!

ROFL

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 12:17:44 pm »
That's still pretty bad that M$ is beat by a third-party program designed to EMULATE it. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 01:12:52 pm »
That's still pretty bad that M$ is beat by a third-party program designed to EMULATE it. :P

Wine is NOT an emulator.  It's an alternate implementation :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 01:44:25 pm »

Not really.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 03:11:24 pm »
If WINE were an emulator, it would create a virtual machine that emulates an X86 processor, which Windows would then be run on. Then, WINE would call forth the EXE within Windows.

All that WINE does is interpret the EXE, instruction for instruction, and calls the apropriate functions from it's own API implementation. If anything, WINE is an interpreter.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 03:19:29 pm »
If WINE were an emulator, it would create a virtual machine that emulates an X86 processor, which Windows would then be run on. Then, WINE would call forth the EXE within Windows.

All that WINE does is interpret the EXE, instruction for instruction, and calls the apropriate functions from it's own API implementation. If anything, WINE is an interpreter.

Something doesn't sound right about that, but I think it's true for the most part. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 03:42:42 pm »

Something doesn't sound right about that, but I think it's true for the most part. 

The part that doesn't sound right is the interpreter part.  As I understand it, WINE loads and executes Windows programs just like Windows does, and provides the dynamic link library framework for Win32 API calls.  The API calls then call back to the kernel in standard Win32 (almost all API calls are thunks for kernelmode code), whereas in WINE, it converts necessary calls to Linux.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »

The part that doesn't sound right is the interpreter part.  As I understand it, WINE loads and executes Windows programs just like Windows does, and provides the dynamic link library framework for Win32 API calls.  The API calls then call back to the kernel in standard Win32 (almost all API calls are thunks for kernelmode code), whereas in WINE, it converts necessary calls to Linux.

But that DOES sound like an interpreter, in a way.  It runs them natively, and maps the calls to its own libraries.  Which is close to what he said. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 06:38:05 pm »
So it just implements the Windows API and maps the actions to X calls and general Linux kernel api? Well I'd guess it's  faster than emulating each processor instruction and all that stuff.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 07:39:34 pm »
Interesting but how an you actually benchmark something like this? WINE is unfinished so it goes without saying that calling a stub will be faster than calling a real function. Furthermore WINE may cheat at somethings for the speed vs functionality.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 09:19:38 pm »
Good question! I found the link on linux-gamers.net... http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1121&referer=rss
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology