Author Topic: Exam today  (Read 3240 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Exam today
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:28:23 pm »
I wrote an exam today for a job I am trying to get.  To make a long story short, I owned it.  To keep a long story long:

She drops a huge pile of paper on the table in front of me.  30 pages, double-sided, so 60 pages.  Mostly multiple choice.  She told me I had 2 hours, but "don't worry, nobody finishes, just do your best".

So she leaves, starting the timer.  I look at the first page, "Business".  The first question was about some business model.  In my head, I'm thinking "oh fuck".  So I skip the first section (about 4 pages).  The next section is "Windows".  FUCK!  So I muddle through it, answering stuff the best I can.  I probably got about half of them.  Then it go to Networking.  Easy!  Then Security.  Easy!  Then security management.  Somewhat hard.  Then Databases.  That sucked.  Then Linux.  Ha!  Then programming aptitude, which was a bunch of logic puzzles (there are 15 balls.  8 say A, 9 say B, and 7 say C.  They have 1 or 2 letters each.  etc.).  My first thought was "crap!", but then I started doing them and I think I got them all right.  Then came programming.  Easy!  Then Linux/Unix programming.  Easy! 

So I was done the exam with a half hour to spare.  I grudgingly went back to the Business section and did it.  It turns out that it was easy!  Which proves my theory: they don't teach you nuffin' in business school.  Or something :)

Then I went back and filled in the answers I didn't know, just to give myself the 1/5 chance of getting them. 

So all in all, I kicked its ass.  I won't know the results for a week or so, and I'll probably never know the exact results.

There was only one kicker.  One of the questions was, "what is the difference between a mandatory access control and a descretionary access control?"  That question was on my midterm in my security course, word for word, and I got 0/10 on it.  I went back, and read it, and hit myself for totally missing it when it's so easy.  Then I was sitting down, doing that exam, and saw the question.  My mind was blank.  I can't believe I couldn't remember it!  I stared at that damn question for 15 minutes!  What a bummer! :(

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
Re: Exam today
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:23:48 pm »
Congradulations! Hopefully people don't think you just BSed through it, though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:06:29 pm »
Awesome, iago!  I really hope you get the job. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:06:36 pm »
Congradulations! Hopefully people don't think you just BSed through it, though.
I didn't BS through anything.  On the question that I should have known, I wrote "I should know this!".  Everything else that I answered I knew. 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:19:40 pm »
Good job.
-RoMi

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:16 pm »
What do you get for a good grade on this exam?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 08:09:30 pm »
What do you get for a good grade on this exam?
The chance at getting the job. 

I applied for a job.  I did the interview with the owner/president/whatever.  He asked me to come back to write an exam.  I did that today.  And I think he said he wants to interview me (with another guy) again once he's done marking it.  If all goes well, I'll have a job with the title "Network Security Analyst"

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 08:29:05 pm »
so, how is school going for you? (I know this is offtopic, but now that you are getting a job (possibly) I think it ties in :))

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 12:37:33 pm »
School is going fine, not too bad.  I'm looking forward to being done, especially if I get this job. :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 05:00:50 pm »
How much longer do you have? As in how many credits you need, and what your plan is to take the classes

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 11:39:37 am »
I have about 1.5 months left.  April 6 is my last day of classes. 

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 12:24:45 pm »
Woohoo!! Only 1.5 months until I can bug the hell out of you EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! I have to make up for all the time your weren't online during school.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 01:16:31 pm »
Woohoo!! Only 1.5 months until I can bug the hell out of you EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! I have to make up for all the time your weren't online during school.
Did I say months? Sorry, I meant years.