Author Topic: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista  (Read 55763 times)

Offline ink

• View Profile
Re: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 01:22:13 pm »
Whatever dude, you just proved your arguement is worthless by saying
I hate linux and all of its users

Tip to all Linux users: Lose the false sense of superiority, you arn't fooling anyone.
ROFL... nobody said linux users feel superior, must just be that windows users feel inferior.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:28:59 pm by ink »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 01:46:54 pm »

Tip to all Linux users: Lose the false sense of superiority, you arn't fooling anyone.
ROFL... nobody said linux users feel superior, must just be that windows users feel inferior.
I don't really know who you are nor do I particularly care.  But you're already annoying.

I think expecting a user to go to the commandline, enter "su" and "sudo some-obscure-file-name-with-architecture-id.rpm" just to install something is not intuitive.

I see nothing wrong with sudo installpkg filename.rpm installing successfully (without interaction) a program. I don't know about you, but I get sick of clicking "Next" on EVERY installer...
...until you download the Red Hat package when you're using Fedora Core or Slackware and you realize there's that one #define in an obscure .h file somewhere that's throwing off symbols in 30 different source files.  And half your hardware doesn't work right or you have to find the right information about setting it up online when your wireless network card doesn't work.

That was the first problem I had with FC4 on my laptop: I didn't have NDISWrapper except on my NTFS partition, and I didn't have an NTFS filesystem driver, but I did have instructions for getting it off the internet.  Really irritating.

Whether or not Microsoft pays companies to only make drivers for Windows (I can't imagine this is true, but I'll take it for sake of argument), the fact of the matter is that there isn't anything I can do on Linux that I can't do on Windows that I care to do.  I don't care about running ssh at home when I can just as easily run Remote Desktop.  I don't care about running Apache on a Linux server because -- guess what -- it's running on my Windows Media Center PC at home, side-by-side with IIS 5.1.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 01:58:33 pm »
...until you download the Red Hat package when you're using Fedora Core or Slackware and you realize there's that one #define in an obscure .h file somewhere that's throwing off symbols in 30 different source files.  And half your hardware doesn't work right or you have to find the right information about setting it up online when your wireless network card doesn't work.

1. rpm2tgz <filename>.rpm
2. I wouldn't be installing a package that is a source. I'd be installing a package that is a set of binaries.
3. My hardware works just fine. The hardest thing was compiling my kernel for SATA support.
4. I don't use wireless. I guess I don't have a problem. :)

I've never had problems with binaries, either. Normally it's with the sources, so eh?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 02:51:19 pm »
If you don't care then don't talk about it, as I havn't acknowledged you up until now, howdy doodie name-caller.

Note: Don't take this as a jab at you personally, I'd respond this way to anybody who seems to think they know me when they don't.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:41:40 pm by ink »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 02:59:34 pm »

I don't get what you mean by that, perhaps you're calling it worthless because you have nothing to respond with?
Cmon, maybe if you try a little harder, use google, whatever you can come up with something with a little bit of thought behind it.

Your attitude, and the attitude of others on both this forum and the entire Linux community shows that. I'm sure there are some that arn't like this but the majority are and that makes my overall impression of them not very great.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:02:01 pm by Warrior[x86] »
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 03:31:27 pm »
Recap:

None of the said 10 reasons to get Vista seem to be too revolutionary. Windows seems to be putting out Vista for the sake of putting out something new, rather than they actually found something that's going to be a contribution to the Windows user.

Any reason why I would want to get it if I'm happy with XP?

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:59 pm »
Warrior, your not one to speak about thought behind what they say
"I hate linux and all of its users" is a fairly ignorant thing to say considering you havn't and no way you will meet all linux users.

As for the attitude, I'm sorry if you feel that it seems to be 'superior', we are just supporting our case, as are you but you don't see us challenging your 'attitude'.  Maybe we just have some sort of superiority aura surrounding us?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:40:34 pm by ink »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 03:48:15 pm »
No you (Linux Users, the majority) attack Windows ideas then we attack Linux ideas and suddenly we are bad guys. Give me a break. The Linux Community and the kernel itself is a joke, it was based off a shitty OS (Minix) and it tries to be a good OS but fails horribly.

Your attitude, and the attitude of others on both this forum and the entire Linux community shows that. I'm sure there are some that arn't like this but the majority are and that makes my overall impression of them not very great.

You know, in case you can't read.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 03:51:06 pm »
Yes, noticed that after I posted, still had your 'I HATE ALL' thingie going on in my head.
Anywho, I never said that I used Linux, I'm just pointing out things that I find fishy in the article that I read.
I was only defending the Linux community as a whole since you were hating them, as a whole.

The fact is, I'm not even sure why Linux is being brought up in this conversation... The topic only mentions Windows Vista, so you attacking Linux seems a little out of place.

What would be more appropriate is addressing the "attacks" against Windows Vista. Also, shouldn't this be in the 'Operating System Development' area? Shrug :-X
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:56:32 pm by ink »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 04:02:10 pm »
I've already addressed all the attacks against Vista.
I started against Linux because from the beginning this was started and replied to by Linux users. I simply stated their OS is nothing special. It's a mediocre hobbby OS which just got some buzz.

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2006, 05:22:43 pm »
Have you addressed them? I was mostly focusing on the security side of Vista, and their claims of bidirectional firewall software and disk encryption. Both of which I've interpreted from the article as not being set on by default.

(The firewall is on by default but only income events, which is just the same as with XP firewall, inbound events have to be turned on by the user)

Vista's BitLocker feature adds security to notebooks and other PCs by letting you encrypt the entire hard drive.
And I interpret this as meaning it's not encrypted by default since it says "letting you". If it were on by default wouldn't it say "by encrypting the entire harddrive." ?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2006, 05:27:31 pm »
...I can't believe people don't want Windows to upgrade security because "Done by BSD/Linux". I don't care, Linux stole enough from Windows. Go get your own damn drivers/software and stop using ndis wrappers and Wine before you start crying about who did what.

15 Minute install is possible. Done by Apple.

I think the "borrowing of ideas" is pretty common in all realms of technology (especially software).  As long as they're not copying the code line for line, I don't see the purpose in complaining that they've implemented similar things.  Windows has too.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 06:20:53 pm »
Have you addressed them? I was mostly focusing on the security side of Vista, and their claims of bidirectional firewall software and disk encryption. Both of which I've interpreted from the article as not being set on by default.

(The firewall is on by default but only income events, which is just the same as with XP firewall, inbound events have to be turned on by the user)

Vista's BitLocker feature adds security to notebooks and other PCs by letting you encrypt the entire hard drive.
And I interpret this as meaning it's not encrypted by default since it says "letting you". If it were on by default wouldn't it say "by encrypting the entire harddrive." ?

The you misinterpreted. It IS on by default.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2006, 06:21:39 pm »
...I can't believe people don't want Windows to upgrade security because "Done by BSD/Linux". I don't care, Linux stole enough from Windows. Go get your own damn drivers/software and stop using ndis wrappers and Wine before you start crying about who did what.

15 Minute install is possible. Done by Apple.

I think the "borrowing of ideas" is pretty common in all realms of technology (especially software).  As long as they're not copying the code line for line, I don't see the purpose in complaining that they've implemented similar things.  Windows has too.

I just say that because every Linux loser cries "Oh Linux has had that for blahblah years" and now everyone gets touchy when I point out that withought Windows hardware, Linux would cease to exist.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2006, 06:25:21 pm »
I just say that because every Linux loser cries "Oh Linux has had that for blahblah years" and now everyone gets touchy when I point out that withought Windows hardware, Linux would cease to exist.

I didn't know Windows was "hardware." ;)

Again: I think it's a two-way street.  Windows has borrowed a lot off of UNIX/Linux ideas too.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I disagree with the nubs that think Linux has things Windows will never have. :)