Author Topic: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista  (Read 55774 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2006, 04:18:03 pm »
http://news.com.com/2061-10794_3-6041613.html?part=rss&tag=6041613&subj=news
Give me one logical explanation of releasing EIGHT DIFFERENT VERSIONS of your operating system besides wanting to make more money then the few billion dollars you already have.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2006, 05:18:10 pm »
Give me one logical explanation of releasing EIGHT DIFFERENT VERSIONS of your operating system besides wanting to make more money then the few billion dollars you already have.

There isn't.  But that's not what the debate is about IMO.  They're a company.  It's their prerogative to make money.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2006, 05:22:30 pm »
The argument isn't about that, it's mainly spawned into a Windows vs. Linux thread I think.  I'm just support Linux by linking to an article that says that Micorosft is going to release 8 different versions of Vista.  Slackware, for example, doesn't release 8 versions of Slackware.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2006, 05:25:16 pm »
The argument isn't about that, it's mainly spawned into a Windows vs. Linux thread I think.  I'm just support Linux by linking to an article that says that Micorosft is going to release 8 different versions of Vista.  Slackware, for example, doesn't release 8 versions of Slackware.

Then you should have said so in the first place.

(BTW, that's good, because Slackware isn't a company, and it's not their prerogative to make money).

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:40 pm »

(BTW, that's good, because Slackware isn't a company, and it's not their prerogative to make money).

While a company's prerogative is to make money first and foremost, do they really need EIGHT versions of the near same damn thing?  I could understand WinXP Home & Professional, but don't you think it would be smart to sell the best product ONLY and charge what the highest of the 8 are?  It's not like the changes are going to be drastically different, and since it's Windows 99.99% of the changes from the cheap one to the expensive Corporate one are going to be disabled regardless.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2006, 06:17:23 pm »
On full disclosure:

There is a lot of debate about disclosure policies.  But a recent example illustrates best why full disclosure works.  I think everybody here knows about the exploit in Windows MetaFormat images (WMF).  Well, it was "discovered" in late december.  I'm not sure whether or not it was fully disclosed at that point, but that's not important.  By early January, Microsoft had fixed it.  That's all well and good.

It's now known that the same exploit was discovered by some black hats much earlier.  It was sold for a couple thousand in early december, and people were actively exploiting it over the course of december. 

What's this mean?  Well, let's look at two scenarios:

1. It was discovered at the end of December and disclosed to Microsoft "responsibly" (at Microsoft calls it).  Now, let's say for the sake of argument that Microsoft still took 2 weeks to fix it (although it's not likely).  In those two weeks, everybody is still vulnerable to the exploit, and tons more money/information could be lost as a result of not disclosing it to everybody, because the black hats already had it (that's the key). 

2. It was discovered at the end of December and fully disclosed.  Anti-virus companies (who don't need to worry about compatibility and stuff) have a signature the next day.  IDS and IPS companies have a signature the next day.  There's a third party patch released, which is a good emergency measure.  And suddenly, all security people are on the look-out for .wmf files because they know they're dangerous. 

Which situation sounds better to you?  I personally prefer full disclosure for the fundamental reason: I'd rather let the whitehats and blackhats both have it for sure rather than the possibility that blackhats have it and I don't. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2006, 06:40:53 pm »
Aren't Linux and Windows targeted for almost entirely different user bases?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:29 pm »

There is overlap, especially in people like those who visit these forums.  Intelligent desktop users have to make the choice. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2006, 07:06:27 pm »

There is overlap, especially in people like those who visit these forums.  Intelligent desktop users have to make the choice. 
I hope that wasn't a sly innuendo that "intelligent desktop users choose Linux."  :P

For the record, I'm not anti-Linux, I'm just not pro-Linux or anti-Windows.  :)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2006, 07:30:46 pm »

Ever looked at linux, it has what a few hundred different versions?
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2006, 08:09:28 pm »
I hope that wasn't a sly innuendo that "intelligent desktop users choose Linux."  :P
Nope, I was implying that people who are intelligent have the opportunity to use Linux, whereas people who aren't, don't.  I was implying nothing else. 

True, but they're created by different people (similar to different "companies" on a smaller scale).  That's not the same as a single person releasing 8 versions of a single Linux variation. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2006, 08:13:03 pm »
So you can't think of other problems that might arise?  Do you think we should let the WoW connection API out into the public?

I of course do not want other people to just have a WoW connection without putting their time and work into it.  A lot of people contributed to it, but I of course think that malicious things might come out of people having access to it.  I can think of potential malicious things happening to War's CMS if he publically releases it too.

I can't think of anything a well coded CMS would be vulnerable to if the source was provided.

No, I completely agree with obfuscating the WoW connection API.  I'm not saying closed source is wrong in all cases, I am saying that open source makes more sense to me on a global scale.

I think you're absolutely right that they don't document all of their features, but the proportion is to be judged by what you call a "feature."  Their API is only supposed to be used, it's 100%-documented, and that's the only thing that is guaranteed to be cross-platform compliant along Windows versions.  Arguably you could say there are undocumented Windows API functions, but they're not really part of the API are they; they're simply calls that you can make.  However, they're not guaranteed to be there in future versions, so it's not a good idea to rely on them.

Other things, like hyperlinks in rich text, are notorously difficult to deal with.  For instance, the Rich Edit control allows you to set the EM_LINK style to make a \v...\v0 field a hyperlink with the specified data, but it doesn't *tell* you that it's \v...\v0, nor the format of the rich text.  Then they also have a Rich Edit 5.1 control MSFTEDIT_CLASS ("RICHED51W") that is entirely undocumented (in a separate DLL no less).

That still begs the question about whether you're supposed to use it.  Almost all of the kernel exports haven't changed in NT 4.0 to XP, aside from adding some no doubt, and the APIs are primarily thunks to the kernel calls.  However, the API is there to provide a consistent interface to the kernel, because the kernel implementations or exports may change.

This problem pops up when you try to use different Linux kernels (like I pointed out earlier about the one #define being different so symbols in 30 different files are off). 

Yes, of course.  I'm arguing that open source provides large amounts more insight than closed source; that is obvious. :).  I've been ranting on and on about how great open source is.  I truly feel this way, but closed source definitely has its place.  I'm making my argument against warrior.  Handing him pieces of information that would help his argument wouldn't be a wise move in the case of my argument. :)

I think the problem with patching is that there are so many different codebases.  Microsoft must make sure a patch is persistent in all of its codebases that it currently supports.  What does that mean for us right now?  Windows 98 SE, Windows "Me", Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Workstation, Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Server, Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Terminal Server, Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Datacenter Server, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Terminal Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center 2004, Windows XP Media Center 2005, (I'm getting cramps) Windows Server 2003 - Web Edition, Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Terminal Server Edition, Datacenter Edition, all of the above in IA64 and x64 flavors as well.  That's just one product line.  Let's talk then about checking for the same vulnerability in Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and Microsoft Office.

Haha, yeah.  They do have a lot of work to do, but how many people do they have to do it?  How many programmers does Microsoft employ?  Seeing as it's a software company, I would wager a considerable amount. :)

Now you're just picking at straw.

He wanted me to do it!  What's wrong with asking him to do the same thing? ;)

So do other companies.  You don't complain about Macromedia or Adobe.

I'm unaware of any significant security exploits that Macromedia and Adobe should be working on instead of furthering their projects.  I'm fully impressed with Flash and Photoshop (to give two examples).  I'm complaining about Microsoft for a reason. :)

I truly believe the only people who REALLY want to cause damage *are* the script kiddies.  I think it's therefore irresponsible for security people to post these kinds of explots publically, ever.  If you're not comfortable using an operating system, then don't use it.  If people start migrating, I promise Microsoft will notice.  At the end of the day that's infintely more responsible than posting to Full-Disclosure.

I think FD is a great idea.  As iago mentioned, Microsoft isn't the only entity capable of providing remedies for the problems at hand.  If they're made publicly known, the chances of the hole getting patched increase enormously.  People already have started migrating.  It's happening slowly, but more and more, I see people buying Macs, giving other OS's a try and going anti-Microsoft.

Again, I'd like to explicitly state my opinion of Microsoft: I'm not anti-Microsoft.  I have numerous complaints regarding several different things (as I've made apparent in this topic), but I do respect that their products are very good.  They have their flaws, but I definitely don't think they suck because they have those flaws.

I don't see how I can write a project, work hard on it RELEASE it for free and still be called selfish. I guess anyone who doesn't comply with your OSS way of thinking is automaticly selfish.

It definitely is selfish in some aspects.  In other ways, it's very generous.  Unless you admit to some other reason you don't want to release the source, I don't see a reasonable point in puting yourself and your users through the trouble of encoding it.

I fix CMS bugs as I encounter them and usually within the hour or within the day. I think I even discussed how I would implement the error subsystem into the core to allow easy bug reporting.

What if the user wants to make a specific change that would only benefit their situation?  Would you be willing to code that for them?  Or would you just say "No, it's a waste of my time."  I'm not saying that you should feel inclined to meet all of your customer's application; I recognize that you'd probably just want them to choose another product that allowed this sort of thing.  However, I do wish to make you aware of such situations to be certain.

Back on the topic of Linux: Linux cannot run every windows driver. Linux depends off windows. I don't understand how you can't see that. Until you strike exclusive deals with OSes and get specifications under an NDA, I don't think you should be dissing an OS you take so much from :).

In retrospect, Windows depends on Linux.  Most of the internet runs on Linux.  Without the internet, Windows would be huge amounts less useful.  They're part of a global scene: technology.  All of technology has a very high possibility have having dependancies or at least having some sort of encounter with another arbitrary piece of technology.  I'm not saying Linux can run every Windows driver.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that it can't run any Windows driver (literally, anyway).  There are generally alternatives that work just as well, though.  I'm not saying for every Windows driver, there is an equally well functioning Linux driver, but I am saying that Linux can be just as functional as Windows (driver-wise), given you have compatable devices (which are most devices on the market).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:31:50 pm by Sidoh »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2006, 08:28:52 pm »
True, but they're created by different people (similar to different "companies" on a smaller scale).  That's not the same as a single person releasing 8 versions of a single Linux variation. 

This is just a result from the nature of open source software. One group needs their specialized version so they make it for themselves and other people make their version for themselves.

However, with closed source software the main company makes the specialized version for group A but they also make the special version for group B because there is demand for both.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2006, 08:33:38 pm »
This is just a result from the nature of open source software. One group needs their specialized version so they make it for themselves and other people make their version for themselves.

However, with closed source software the main company makes the specialized version for group A but they also make the special version for group B because there is demand for both.

Personally, I don't see a problem with either (globally speaking, of course).  They both have issues that should be considered, but when it comes down to a final judgement, I don't think I'd lean one way or another (without considering that one is open source--I like open source :)).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2006, 09:19:54 pm »

Of course, the big difference then shows up: you can try out every version of Linux and pick your favorite and the one that suits your needs.  Windows, on the other hand, costs a huge amount to buy and experiment with, so you're basically locked in once you make a decision which may or may not be the corrent one.  Additionally, if your needs change at a later date, you have to go out and re-purchase Windows.  That's silly, you should buy it once and have access to any permutation of it.