Author Topic: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews  (Read 24118 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2006, 08:21:21 pm »
So did you just insult your intelligence? The majority of people reading your post before could have ranged from anyone. So that doesn't make much sense.

No, since I understand what they're intending to say.  If every word in that sentence is taken by its formal definition, their claim is completely false, though.  You're insulting your own intelligence by not realizing we're correct, though! ;)

You can understand it if you want, how you use it in an argument is different. You obviously understood what they said but you tried to argued it using a different standpoint. You are twisting words there.

Of course you just proved that you did, besides the fact you giving whatever explination you still did it.

No, I didn't.  Microsoft is twisting words; I'm not.

Since you responded withought anythng to back you up, I will to:
Yes you did.

I highly doubt that to be true, RSS usage will shoot through the roof and be lead by IE7 users. What other source of people as large as IE7 use RSS? Note: This must be one specific service which makes RSS usage "mainstream". I highly doubt any single service other than IE can pull that off, especially non MS.

Again, you're obviously aware of how many other applications there are for RSS.  Do you understand how powerful, usefull and important syndication is?  Since RSS is the main protocol used for syndication, it's already used by the mainstream, whether they realize it or not.  Cell Phones use (or can use) RSS.  I'm pretty confident that will already have the upper hand on IE7.  RSS already has huge application.  IE7 implementing it isn't going to have much of an affect on how RSS is used.  Using a hyperbole, it's like Microsoft implementing a field in IE7 that queries a search engine and then claiming they're bringing "search engines to the main stream."

You seem to again underestimate and even call the insane amount of users MS pulls "a hyperbole", funny how it isn't one at all..unless you've been asleep for 25 years.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2006, 08:28:15 pm »
I highly doubt that to be true, RSS usage will shoot through the roof and be lead by IE7 users. What other source of people as large as IE7 use RSS? Note: This must be one specific service which makes RSS usage "mainstream". I highly doubt any single service other than IE can pull that off, especially non MS.

RSS feeding servers. Oh, damn.

I've bolded where you fail. Try again.

RSS feeding servers are what are delivering RSS feeds from very popular mainstream news webpages. It can't get much more mainstream than that. It can have a much higher user base, but it's still mainstream, regardless if it has 100K users or 100M users...

It delivers them to the general public. By definition, it's mainstream.

General, meaning majority. How the hell is the majority of the public going to have it if only "100k" use it!?

No, like I said it is not mainstream until it is used by a majority in the world. Microsoft is claiming they can do that, no one else can say that. They are correct in saying that.

RSS can be popular among CNN or whatever the hell you want but face it, Windows is the majority. You seem to be neglecting to accept that because you're too hardcore Linux. Come back when you face reality.

Come back when you finally realize it has been mainstream beacuse it's been available to the general public in a form of a hundred or more different clients for the last five years.

Please define how that doesn't make it mainstream. I don't give a damn about how many users it has. That is a user base, not mainstream or underground. I want to know why the M$ users couldn't utilize those hundred of so clients that utilized RSS feeds.

Read above.

Nice pick on my Linux usage, by the way.

Thanks.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2006, 08:40:37 pm »
This argument (like all arguments with Warrior) is pointless and stupid.  Warrior isn't going to have his mind changed by facts or arguments, he's too locked into his single way of thinking.  I move that this and the other thread on General be locked due to being totally pointless. 

You're misunderstanding, I know and understand where you all come from. I merely take on Microsoft's standpoint and argue it. It gets annoying to see you guys taking stupid jabs at MS withought understanding where they are coming from.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2006, 08:42:42 pm »
You can understand it if you want, how you use it in an argument is different. You obviously understood what they said but you tried to argued it using a different standpoint. You are twisting words there.

Correct.  I'm twisting the words Microsoft used into what the formal definition for those words implies.  I'd much rather use words in the way they're supposed to be used; not how some company who's exaggerating the greatness of their product defines them.

That's all this is: an advertizing scheme.  I'm shocked you're incapable of realizing this.

Since you responded withought anythng to back you up, I will to:
Yes you did.

See the retort I added above.
You seem to again underestimate and even call the insane amount of users MS pulls "a hyperbole", funny how it isn't one at all..unless you've been asleep for 25 years.

No, I really don't think I'm underestimating it; especially since I'm considering the insane number of people that use the internet and cell phones.  Perhaps you've heard of those?

It was a hyperbole.  If you don't think so, perhaps you should take some more English classes.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2006, 08:51:26 pm »

Correct.  I'm twisting the words Microsoft used into what the formal definition for those words implies.  I'd much rather use words in the way they're supposed to be used; not how some company who's exaggerating the greatness of their product defines them.

That's all this is: an advertizing scheme.  I'm shocked you're incapable of realizing this.

Wait..I thought you said you weren't twisting words? Make up your mind.
To you it may seem as an advertising scheme, they don't care about that.
They target the general users and send a message "Heres a technology you never knew about, it's really good and it will be in IE7 and Vista sidebar, we hope to make it mainstream among windows users", thats how a Windows user would intepret it. They don't care how you interpret it, they'd most likely tell you the same thing.

No, I really don't think I'm underestimating it; especially since I'm considering the insane number of people that use the internet and cell phones.  Perhaps you've heard of those?

It was a hyperbole.  If you don't think so, perhaps you should take some more English classes.

Of course the insane number of people that use the internet are almost all the same that use Windows. Minus the Linux'ers, Mac'ers, and Unix'ers. (Oh yea and Solaris)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2006, 09:19:32 pm »
This argument (like all arguments with Warrior) is pointless and stupid.  Warrior isn't going to have his mind changed by facts or arguments, he's too locked into his single way of thinking.  I move that this and the other thread on General be locked due to being totally pointless. 

You're misunderstanding, I know and understand where you all come from. I merely take on Microsoft's standpoint and argue it. It gets annoying to see you guys taking stupid jabs at MS withought understanding where they are coming from.

Everyone here fully understands the situation.  You redefine words like "mainstream" and "revolutionary" to have new definitions that fit your facts.  It doesn't work like that. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2006, 09:27:43 pm »
Wait..I thought you said you weren't twisting words? Make up your mind.
To you it may seem as an advertising scheme, they don't care about that.
They target the general users and send a message "Heres a technology you never knew about, it's really good and it will be in IE7 and Vista sidebar, we hope to make it mainstream among windows users", thats how a Windows user would intepret it. They don't care how you interpret it, they'd most likely tell you the same thing.

I have made up my mind.  You fail to realize that I'm using two different frames of reference.  It doesn't matter if Microsoft cares that I recognize that statement is an advertizing scheme.  The point is that it is a gimic.

As iago mentioned, Microsoft twisted words.  When we scoff at this, you defend them saying that it is valid for them to make these valse claims; it's not valid.  It may be okay for someone defending Microsoft in a formal manner to use words like this in order to convince their audience, but that doesn't mean what they're saying is correct or should be accepted as correct.

Of course the insane number of people that use the internet are almost all the same that use Windows. Minus the Linux'ers, Mac'ers, and Unix'ers. (Oh yea and Solaris)

Even proportionally speaking, it isn't valid to make th claim "Almost everyone who uses the internet is on Windows."

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2006, 09:33:51 pm »
Half of the users of Windows are complete idiots.  If only the users of windows use IE, and most of them are idiots, and a lot of the smart ones don't use IE, you get a whole bunch of idiots using IE and a few smart ones.  Go up to ANY idiot in your school and ask them what a RSS feed stands for.  Just because it is there, DOESN'T MEAN EVERY SINGLE IE USER WILL USE IT.  Half the users of windows have troubles with typing, for god sakes!

You have too much of a closed mind, Warrior.  No matter what ANYONE says he, you will think you're right.  Nobody cares about this anymore, its just senseless LINUX VS WINDOWS all over again.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2006, 11:11:59 pm »
General, meaning majority. How the hell is the majority of the public going to have it if only "100k" use it!?

It is available to the general public. The general public isn't able to use it, but guess what? It's available. They could all use it, but they don't!

Whether you like it or not, it's mainstream.

No, like I said it is not mainstream until it is used by a majority in the world. Microsoft is claiming they can do that, no one else can say that. They are correct in saying that.

RSS can be popular among CNN or whatever the hell you want but face it, Windows is the majority. You seem to be neglecting to accept that because you're too hardcore Linux. Come back when you face reality.

Come back when you finally realize it has been mainstream beacuse it's been available to the general public in a form of a hundred or more different clients for the last five years.

Please define how that doesn't make it mainstream. I don't give a damn about how many users it has. That is a user base, not mainstream or underground. I want to know why the M$ users couldn't utilize those hundred of so clients that utilized RSS feeds.

Read above.

Yep. I still win, it has been mainstream and M$ will not revolutionize this in any way shape or form.

Stop warping the definition of "mainstream" and actually read it as it is defined.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 11:14:29 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006, 11:16:16 pm »
It is available to the general public. The general public isn't able to use it, but guess what? It's available.

Not only that, it is used by the majority of the public.  The majority of the public may not understand that RSS powers several technologies that they use on a daily basis (intentionally or unintentionally), but they do.  As a prime example, cell phones use RSS.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006, 11:27:55 pm »
It is available to the general public. The general public isn't able to use it, but guess what? It's available.

Not only that, it is used by the majority of the public.  The majority of the public may not understand that RSS powers several technologies that they use on a daily basis (intentionally or unintentionally), but they do.  As a prime example, cell phones use RSS.

Not to mention all news sites.  From a client perspective, http://news.google.com and http://www.packetstormsecurity.org and http://www.vpnsys.com and tons of other sites all use RSS to propogate the news to the user. 

RSS is already mainstream.  Deal with it. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:22 pm »
Not to mention all news sites.  From a client perspective, http://news.google.com and http://www.packetstormsecurity.org and http://www.vpnsys.com and tons of other sites all use RSS to propogate the news to the user. 

Hehe, yep! :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2006, 11:31:21 pm »

Not according to Warrior. It's only mainstream if M$ puts it in IE!
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2006, 11:33:40 pm »
Not according to Warrior. It's only mainstream if M$ puts it in IE!

C'mon, personal attacks are useless! :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2006, 11:37:09 pm »
I'm only stating what he stating!
- Newby