Author Topic: For those about to graduate..  (Read 9331 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
For those about to graduate..
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:55:41 pm »
What are you gonna do? I graduate this year and was just wondering..
For you geeks out there, I am going to be apprenticed into a trade that involves alot of trig math: Tool making!

My dad owns his own shop and they make parts for machines that build things in mass production.
Common words of the trade are: /tooling/dyes/molds/milling/CAD programming.

Well enough about my career endeavours lets hear about yours.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: For those about to graduate..
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:03:33 pm »
Sounds like fun.  Good luck with that. :)

I'm going to be going to CSU (not sure if I'll finish all 4 years of my undergrad degree here; I might trasfer to another school) majoring in software engineering.  I might double major in number theory, if not I'd like to at least minor in it.

I'm not entirely sure where I'll be working when I graduate, but it's a long way ahead of me.  I plan on going to graduate school and possibly get a doctorate in something.  I want to stay in school for as long as possible.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:17:57 pm »
Keep in mind that means alot of school loan bills you'll have to pay, assuming your taking out loans to pay for college.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:24:02 pm »
Keep in mind that means alot of school loan bills you'll have to pay, assuming your taking out loans to pay for college.

So?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:30 pm »
So you better be able to pay those bills off, obviously.  ???

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
So you better be able to pay those bills off, obviously.  ???

Regardless of what you may think, I'm perceptive enough to realize this.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 02:45:22 pm »
Then you obviously agree with me and should've just said "I agree".  :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 03:11:13 pm »

I personally think this would have been more suitable:

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:58 pm »
Anyways, I too am graduating this year.

I am going to UMR, and I will be majoring in CS.  I will try and attend graduate school there as well and possibly get my doctorate at UMR too.  It depends on how far I am willing to go.

For a job, I am not sure where I want to go.  My father owns a computer company that designs software/hardware/ and provides tech support to large companies and he offered me an internship there and suggested at me working there, but I am not sure I want to do that.  UMR offers a lot of internships and there are also companies that just recruit UMR graduates.. so we will see.

Site: www.umr.edu
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:01 pm »

I personally think this would have been more suitable:

Whatever. I hope it works out for you, good luck.
Anyways, I too am graduating this year.

I am going to UMR, and I will be majoring in CS.  I will try and attend graduate school there as well and possibly get my doctorate at UMR too.  It depends on how far I am willing to go.

For a job, I am not sure where I want to go.  My father owns a computer company that designs software/hardware/ and provides tech support to large companies and he offered me an internship there and suggested at me working there, but I am not sure I want to do that.  UMR offers a lot of internships and there are also companies that just recruit UMR graduates.. so we will see.

Site: www.umr.edu
Provides tech support for large companies? How so? I mean don't large companies just buy "human farms" in India or China or something for thier tech support?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:39:26 pm by GameSnake »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 04:39:06 pm »
Haha - I don't know exactly what they are doing.  But I think it has something to do with them moderating their network and what not and when they need help they call them.  Or something like that.

If that doesn't answer your question, sorry.  I haven't really asked my Dad that specific question before.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 04:41:00 pm »
Haha - I don't know exactly what they are doing.  But I think it has something to do with them moderating their network and what not and when they need help they call them.  Or something like that.

If that doesn't answer your question, sorry.  I haven't really asked my Dad that specific question before.
I've heard of companys matching other companys up with Tech Support farms they "own" in India for example, maybe your dad does that? Either that or he is just a good old american tech support provider :).

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 04:43:37 pm »

I've heard of companys matching other companys up with Tech Support farms they "own" in India for example, maybe your dad does that? Either that or he is just a good old american tech support provider :).
Rofl -- There is none of that going on in my Father's company.. that I am sure of. :D
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 04:54:39 pm »
For those about to graduate ..

.. we salute you!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 05:11:48 pm »

.. we salute you!

You read my mind!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 05:44:52 pm »
I still don't know where I'm going.  Drexel wait listed me, and I haven't heard back from TCNJ or Rowan yet (I'm supposed to ~April 1).  GAH!  It's aggravating.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 06:36:59 pm »

.. we salute you!

Thanks.  Although that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm giving you leader approval.  :P

I'm trying to stay within my current organization (the Town of Gilbert) -- the Town council has on their agenda tonight to approve a position within the Town Manager's office (in the Intergovernmental Relations unit) a "Management Assistant" position that would emphasize grant writing.

Pros for staying with the Town: I don't need to go on occupational probation, I get the first shot at the position (internal job postings), I get to keep my sick and vacation time, I get to keep the benefits of having been with them for four years already, etc.

I'd still start out at the bottom of the pay grade (the scale is set by the amount of time you've put in at a particular job), but it's still a substantial pay increase for me.  Plus full benefits.

And I know the people who will be on the hiring committee!

Can't beat it with a brick stick.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 01:32:33 pm »
I graduated last spring...

Attending New Mexico State University (fully paid for by the state's lottery scholarship).  Majoring in government (possible emphasis on Law & Society), from there (since I can't get a job I want, I think) I'll be off to law school...either at University of New Mexico, or University of Texas

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 02:05:09 pm »

Attending New Mexico State University (fully paid for by the state's lottery scholarship).  Majoring in government (possible emphasis on Law & Society), from there (since I can't get a job I want, I think) I'll be off to law school...either at University of New Mexico, or University of Texas
I definitely recommend getting a job with the local city government, preferably at a local facility (see my current job description for more info on the perfect college job ever - no I don't make that much, it's listed for full-time, but I work 32 hours/week; I'm halfway through the pay scale, $12.57/hr).  You get to meet lots of people and you might just find out that the organization supports you.  Municipal jobs are the *best*!!!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 04:30:55 pm »

I definitely recommend getting a job with the local city government, preferably at a local facility (see my current job description for more info on the perfect college job ever - no I don't make that much, it's listed for full-time, but I work 32 hours/week; I'm halfway through the pay scale, $12.57/hr).  You get to meet lots of people and you might just find out that the organization supports you.  Municipal jobs are the *best*!!!
$13 an hour!?  Crap!
I make $6.50 an hour as a runner for a lawyer in town.  I may have to look into this city employment.  How many hours a week do you work?  I assume they're all "day time" hours too?

http://www.las-cruces.org/HR/jobs_htm/jobs.htm
wow, we don have many jobs open
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 04:40:41 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 04:55:09 pm »

$13 an hour!?  Crap!
I make $6.50 an hour as a runner for a lawyer in town.  I may have to look into this city employment.  How many hours a week do you work?  I assume they're all "day time" hours too?

32 hours. :D
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 05:11:01 pm »

$13 an hour!?  Crap!

32 hours. :D
::)silly me

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 11:27:06 pm »
I'm gonna go to the university of wyoming... they gave me a full ride because I'm cool like that.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 12:48:01 am »
I'm gonna go to the university of wyoming... they gave me a full ride because I'm cool like that.

How far is UW from CSU (Fort Collins)?

Dude, go to grad school at MIT.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 12:54:21 am »
Sounds like fun.  Good luck with that. :)

I'm going to be going to CSU (not sure if I'll finish all 4 years of my undergrad degree here; I might trasfer to another school) majoring in software engineering.  I might double major in number theory, if not I'd like to at least minor in it.

I'm not entirely sure where I'll be working when I graduate, but it's a long way ahead of me.  I plan on going to graduate school and possibly get a doctorate in something.  I want to stay in school for as long as possible.

Aren't you're capable of going to a UC?

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 05:37:22 am »
Tool and Dye is really common profession in my area, CAD programming is fun to do, I took 4 years of it through metal and carpentry drafting. Made lots of cool stuff.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Feanor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 11:22:15 am »
I am going to college, but still dont know where.

I have been accepted to:
SUNY Binghampton
Tulane
Georgia Tech

Rejected from MIT

Still have to hear from 11 other schools, including Cornell who deferred me when I aplied early.
Share the knowledge.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 01:31:33 pm »

How far is UW from CSU (Fort Collins)?

Dude, go to grad school at MIT.

I don't know how far it is.

And yeah, I'd like to go to grad school when I get done with my first bachelors, just not sure where.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2006, 07:31:03 pm »
I am going to college, but still dont know where.

I have been accepted to:
SUNY Binghampton
Tulane
Georgia Tech

Rejected from MIT

Still have to hear from 11 other schools, including Cornell who deferred me when I aplied early.

Georgia Tech is a great school, you should go there. :)

Offline Feanor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 07:59:23 pm »
haha. I might, Networks is going there next year and Madd0x already will be a sophmore there next year.
Share the knowledge.