Author Topic: Interesting Ben Franklin quote..  (Read 9698 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Interesting Ben Franklin quote..
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:22:29 pm »
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -- Ben Franklin

If I remember correctly, he was one of the four founders of the United States (he was.. right?). If I'm not being stupid and forgetting something every US cititzen should know, then I find it kind of interesting that we're doing just exactly what one of our founders said not to do.

What's your take on this?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Ben Franklin quote..
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:27:16 pm »
Do what the other liberals do: blame Bush.

Though that is an interesting quote. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:29:28 pm »

So you're calling republican leaders across the world "liberal", because they blame Bush for things he has actually done?!  You're an american politic sheep, republicans can be for liberty too: That is a damn good quote if you ask me, and very true. I mean WOW, if you think only "liberals" are against Bush, you're a dumbasS: everyone has the right to be against Bush.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 11:29:52 pm »
*sigh*

This is why smoking marijuana is bad for you.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:31:17 pm »
*sigh*

Can't handle my argument with a good response? pfft. You didn't even try. So, I win. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:32:21 pm »
I've heard that before.  It'd probably be more impacted with it if I was at all interested in politics.  It's a damn good quote, but it has little immediate impact on my interests. ;)

I blame it on government's failure to observe the full scope of consequences their actions arise.

So you're calling republican leaders across the world "liberal", because they blame Bush for things he has actually done?!  You're an american politic sheep, republicans can be for liberty too: That is a damn good quote if you ask me, and very true. I mean WOW, if you think only "liberals" are against Bush, you're a dumbasS: everyone has the right to be against Bush.

. . .

*sigh*

* Sidoh agrees with Newby.

Can't handle it with a good response? pfft. You didn't even try. I win.

That post isn't worth a "good response."

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:03 pm »
I've heard that before.  It'd probably be more impacted with it if I was at all interested in politics.  It's a damn good quote, but it has little immediate impact on my interests. ;)

I blame it on government's failure to observe the full scope of consequences their actions arise.

. . .

*sigh*

* Sidoh agrees with Newby.

Can't handle it with a good response? pfft. You didn't even try. I win.

That post isn't worth a "good response."
My post was worth a response, just not the one you and Newby are giving.
Newby through the word "liberal" out there, trying to say something highly inaccurate, so I pointed out that everyone deserves liberty and has the right to critisize Bush. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:40:10 pm »
My post was worth a response, just not the one you and Newby are giving.
Newby through the word "liberal" out there, trying to say something highly inaccurate, so I pointed out that everyone deserves liberty and has the right to critisize Bush. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

*sigh*

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 11:41:17 pm »
When you can comprehend what my original statement truly meant I think your arguments will disappear.
- Newby

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:45:30 pm »
When you can comprehend what my original statement truly meant I think your arguments will disappear.
I can understand it: you're trying say only liberals complain about our president, right? That can be the only thing you meant, unless you're being "sarcastic".

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:47:08 pm »

1) Republican is a thing in the US of A, not the world really.
2) Republicans, traditionally, are for liberty while Democrats are for bigger government.

I like this quote.  Another interesting quote is one that says something about spilling blood is the only way to clean liberty...or something

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:48:33 pm »
I can understand it: you're trying say only liberals complain about our president, right? That can be the only thing you meant, unless you're being "sarcastic".

No.

* Newby sighs again.

I was pretty sarcastic in my statement.
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 11:49:25 pm »

http://youlose.ytmnd.com

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 11:54:29 pm »

1) Republican is a thing in the US of A, not the world really.
2) Republicans, traditionally, are for liberty while Democrats are for bigger government.

I like this quote.  Another interesting quote is one that says something about spilling blood is the only way to clean liberty...or something
MY ASS. It heavily depends on the politician himself. Bush is a republican. Bush also signed the US Patriot Act, which is one of the most anti-liberty bills ever passed.

If USA was so "liberating" under republicans like you're trying to say, tell me why the drinking age is 21, the highest in the world, above communist Korea's drinking age? Why do we have the only democracy where executions are allowed? We're being fucked by our goverment on many issues, thats why.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:57:13 pm by GameSnake »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 11:55:49 pm »
-->*TRADITIONALLY*<--

There is a big neo-conservative movement thing post-9/11, EVERYONE & their dog (in politics) is big government :(