Author Topic: [PHP] Cookies..  (Read 11969 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
[PHP] Cookies..
« on: June 07, 2006, 04:25:52 am »
Here's my three-hour's worth of work on cookies. I never really figured out how to delete a cookie so ?logout won't work. You have to redirect yourself to ?info manually, and for some reason the cookie explode function won't work. Anyhow, here it is (test).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: [PHP] Cookies..
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:02:53 am »
You use set_cookie(blah, "", time);
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:14:30 am »
You use set_cookie(blah, "", time);
Isn't that what he's doing?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:21:44 am »
No, he does nothing:
Code: [Select]
        case "logout":        // logging out, duh
            break;

Secondly, md5 blows.  Change them to SHA1.
You should also call error_reporting(E_ALL) and do an isset() check on your get variables.  You should also set a cookie expiration date.  Setting cookies good until the browser closes is a stupid thing to do, and can be replaced by the $_SESSION superglobal (that's what it was made for).

Nextly, you should return all of your strings, and never print from functions, unless you're doing OOP (which you're not).

Furthermore, hange the password box to a password type.  Also, "Translate"?  WTF?

You have a problem:
Cookie: a722c63db8ec8625af6cf71cb8c2d939 test1
Logged in as test1
Account doesn't exist.
I can't be logged in with a non-existant account.  It doesn't make sense.  You could be tracing these problems out with error_reporting(E_ALL);

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:48:43 am »
You're being overly picky for no reason. 

No, he does nothing:
Code: [Select]
        case "logout":        // logging out, duh
            break;
I thought he meant in general, I didn't realize he was talking about the logging out.

In this context, md5 vs sha1 makes absolutely no difference.

You should also call error_reporting(E_ALL) and do an isset() check on your get variables.
Useful advice for developing, in general, but he's releasing the software so setting it to E_ALL would be annoying for others.

You should also set a cookie expiration date.  Setting cookies good until the browser closes is a stupid thing to do, and can be replaced by the $_SESSION superglobal (that's what it was made for).
That's true, but then this wouldn't be a demonstration of cookies, would it?  There's nothing wrong with a login cookie expiring at close, even if session is better.  It's definitly not "stupid". 

Nextly, you should return all of your strings, and never print from functions, unless you're doing OOP (which you're not).
Both ways are fine. 

Furthermore, hange the password box to a password type.
Again: demonstration. 

You have a problem:
Logged in as test1
Account doesn't exist.
I can't be logged in with a non-existant account.  It doesn't make sense.  You could be tracing these problems out with error_reporting(E_ALL);
You don't have to be an asshole when you report a bug. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:57:23 am »
As for E_ALL, I was expecting the programmer who implements a changed version of this to add their own error checking, etc. Also, printing from functions was just the quick-and-sloppy approach I took to this, trying to get the concept to work even if it required breaking coding style (which can always be fixed later).

Also, you can very well be logged in from a nonexistant account. Hack your cookies file and put in "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff acct_that_doesnt_exist".

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:45 am »
You're mutilating PHP..stop it.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 01:17:51 pm »
You're being overly picky for no reason. 
I'm criticizing his code and trying to help him learn how to better implement his ideas in PHP.  I'm not trying to be mean or anything.

In this context, md5 vs sha1 makes absolutely no difference.
md5 is infitely easier to collide than sha1, and if someone hijacked an admin cookie, they could easily log in as the superuser.

You should also call error_reporting(E_ALL) and do an isset() check on your get variables.
Useful advice for developing, in general, but he's releasing the software so setting it to E_ALL would be annoying for others.
I keep E_ALL on on all of my projects, and trap the errors, though it is just personal preference.

You should also set a cookie expiration date.  Setting cookies good until the browser closes is a stupid thing to do, and can be replaced by the $_SESSION superglobal (that's what it was made for).
That's true, but then this wouldn't be a demonstration of cookies, would it?  There's nothing wrong with a login cookie expiring at close, even if session is better.  It's definitly not "stupid". 
I'm just saying it would be a more effective demonstration of cookies if he did something that only cookies could do, like carrying a login over multiple sessions.

Both ways are fine. 
Gah..I supposed, but it bugs me.

Furthermore, hange the password box to a password type.
Again: demonstration. 
It's what the "password" type is for.

You have a problem:
Logged in as test1
Account doesn't exist.
You don't have to be an asshole when you report a bug. 

Wasn't trying to be.  I was just pointing out that something went wrong and conflicting messages were printed.  Anyway, that "could" is should*, my bad.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:16:20 pm »
Tip: use <?php.  I think I've told you that before.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 02:25:44 pm »
Yeah, I completely overlooked that.

<? is used by XML as well, so you should always do <?php and <?xml, instead of just plain old <?.  Also, though it's not *required*, php?> works just as well, but isn't all that helpful unless you're mixing XML and PHP

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 03:50:38 pm »
Both ways are fine. 

I strongly suggest learning to seperate core code from display code. It applies in almost every programming language and is a plus for organization. It's a bitch to upgrade code which is riddled with a bunch of HTML. Please, do yourself a favor. Both ways are not fine. I'm warning you.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 05:49:13 pm »
This was a demonstration of how cookies can be used, not how to write PHP.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:07:05 pm »
You should always write good PHP. That's a bad demonstration at most.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:02:46 pm »
That's like writing an English paper on how to use semicolens, but failing to use other aspects of the language correctly.  It's just stupid.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 08:04:17 pm »
<insert generic comment about poor programming habits here>

actually, I'm sure I would be saying more than that if it was in a language that I knew better :)