Author Topic: What Linux can learn from Microsoft  (Read 19249 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: What Linux can learn from Microsoft
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 02:56:53 pm »
and when you consider how much people pay for Macs, no, I don't think Windows is too pricey.
Yeah, but they're not buying JUST an OS.  They're buying a computer too.  Are you telling me that with Vista and a new computer, you wouldn't get around 1500-2000 dollars?

Of course, considering that Microsoft sells Windows to OEMs dirt cheap and you can probably buy a dell for less than $1k. I'm sorry but Apple is more evil than Microsoft. MS is an evil software producer, Apple produces software and hardware and limits their OS to run only on their hardware.

I wonder what the EU would do to Microsoft if they ever did something like that..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 03:08:39 pm »
Of course, considering that Microsoft sells Windows to OEMs dirt cheap and you can probably buy a dell for less than $1k. I'm sorry but Apple is more evil than Microsoft. MS is an evil software producer, Apple produces software and hardware and limits their OS to run only on their hardware.

I wonder what the EU would do to Microsoft if they ever did something like that..
Yeah, but the version they sell to OEMs is the shitty, extremely basic version.  Apple, as far as I know, releases only one version of their OS: the full package.  If Microsoft sold Vista Ultimate to OEMs you wouldn't be paying less than one grand.  Yeah, I don't like Apple for that reason.. but they're slowly joining the mainstream.

Microsoft doesn't make computers, so nothing, I'd venture.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 04:17:38 pm »

Yeah, but the version they sell to OEMs is the shitty, extremely basic version.

Not really, if it's "Shitty" then the OEMs make it shitty. Microsoft will sell Vista versions to OEM with the real deal (Wouldn't make sense otherwise as it would give the majority of their customers the wrong impression) along with a Vista version specifically made for those with small pockets. This however would of course include the upgradeable program to transfer to Ultimate at a later time.

Apple, as far as I know, releases only one version of their OS: the full package.  If Microsoft sold Vista Ultimate to OEMs you wouldn't be paying less than one grand.  Yeah, I don't like Apple for that reason.. but they're slowly joining the mainstream.

Microsoft wouldn't sell Ultimate to OEMs, it will be something like Home Basic and Home Premium with an Ultimate Update offer or something. It's clever marketing. Apple can do whatever they want but in the end, clever marketing defeats honesty and being a good little OS company.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2006, 04:57:46 pm »
In other news: The sequel!

LOL "What is .NET anyway". What an idiot.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:10 pm »
What?

Every PC vendor I've ever seen sells all 3 versions of XP: Home, Pro, and Media Center.  They will sell every version of Vista.  I was licensed to sell OEM editions of operating systems.  I sold 3 computers with Windows ME: the OS that sells for $89 each, I got a 3-pack for $139.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2006, 08:27:32 pm »
Me too. Thanks.

I'm not mailing you a copy of Vista, nor am I sending you a Vista ISO when you're on dial-up. You lose.

Plus, you're supposed to be a Linux whore. Nelson breathes Windows; it's the least I can do. :)

I think you know my home computer situation. Windows is forced until Linux supports winmodems (note: get to work).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2006, 10:11:20 am »
What?

Every PC vendor I've ever seen sells all 3 versions of XP: Home, Pro, and Media Center.  They will sell every version of Vista.  I was licensed to sell OEM editions of operating systems.  I sold 3 computers with Windows ME: the OS that sells for $89 each, I got a 3-pack for $139.
Really?  Every OEM I've seen (excluding the one I picked out for my cousins) came with XP Home and had no choice for upgradeability.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2006, 01:43:05 pm »
Really?  Every OEM I've seen (excluding the one I picked out for my cousins) came with XP Home and had no choice for upgradeability.

Where the hell do you buy computers... India?  I've never seen a manufacturer that doesn't offer this option.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2006, 01:50:58 pm »
Yes I buy my computers in India.  It costs like, five bucks there!

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2006, 02:17:07 pm »

Where the hell do you buy computers... India?  I've never seen a manufacturer that doesn't offer this option.

I've also never seen an OEM that's not Home, and I've never seen an OEM that doesn't have 100 stupid programs installed. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2006, 02:26:04 pm »

I've also never seen an OEM that's not Home, and I've never seen an OEM that doesn't have 100 stupid programs installed. 

The program part is the OEM's fault, I just saw Dell selling a PC on TV with Pro installed.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2006, 02:32:43 pm »

At work, I just received ~75 computers with Professional OEM on them...

Granted, I'm putting my image on those instead of using the OEM install, but thats mostly just for convenience and conformity

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2006, 03:04:57 pm »

Go on the internet and look at some of the computers.  I didn't come accross a company that didn't allow you to change the OS to/from Home, Professional or Media Center Edition.

At work, I just received ~75 computers with Professional OEM on them...

Granted, I'm putting my image on those instead of using the OEM install, but thats mostly just for convenience and conformity

Why'd your work place buy 75 computers with an OS on them?  I don't think I've seen a computer come in to my school that has an OS.  We always build them from scratch.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2006, 04:09:09 pm »
Why'd your work place buy 75 computers with an OS on them?  I don't think I've seen a computer come in to my school that has an OS.  We always build them from scratch.
I work for the University I attend.  The university is forced to buy computers under state contracts because it is a state university.  Whoever made this particular contract with dell chose computers with the OS pre-installed on them.  It's not a big deal though and since they come with Dell's volume-license, we don't have to update our volume-license.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2006, 04:23:34 pm »
I work for the University I attend.  The university is forced to buy computers under state contracts because it is a state university.  Whoever made this particular contract with dell chose computers with the OS pre-installed on them.  It's not a big deal though and since they come with Dell's volume-license, we don't have to update our volume-license.

Haha, that's pretty dumb.  Especially in a situation where someone is managing a bunch of computers, they're going to want to build the OS from scratch so the network is more universal.  This summer, we've signed on a four-year lease for 106 computers from DakTech (that's a lot of a district this size/budget).  They don't have pre-installed OS'.  I don't even know if it was an option.

DakTech is awesome, by the way.  Seven year warranties are amazing.  We have a couple of dual 1.0GHz servers.  One of them had a disk in the RAID that was going bad.  I called them, explained the situation and two days later, there was a new drive in our mailbox.