Author Topic: What Linux can learn from Microsoft  (Read 19245 times)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: What Linux can learn from Microsoft
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2006, 02:18:27 am »
DakTech eh? I'll have to check them out...

Anyway, I've used OEM copies (my dad had an OEM copy of every M$ OS up to 2K3 Enterprise at one point) and I can safely tell you they have OEM copies of WinXP Pro. Whoever said they didn't needs to die.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »
DakTech eh? I'll have to check them out...

Anyway, I've used OEM copies (my dad had an OEM copy of every M$ OS up to 2K3 Enterprise at one point) and I can safely tell you they have OEM copies of WinXP Pro. Whoever said they didn't needs to die.
I never said they didn't.  I said I haven't seen them.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2006, 02:32:12 pm »
Haha, that's pretty dumb.  Especially in a situation where someone is managing a bunch of computers, they're going to want to build the OS from scratch so the network is more universal.  This summer, we've signed on a four-year lease for 106 computers from DakTech (that's a lot of a district this size/budget).  They don't have pre-installed OS'.  I don't even know if it was an option.

DakTech is awesome, by the way.  Seven year warranties are amazing.  We have a couple of dual 1.0GHz servers.  One of them had a disk in the RAID that was going bad.  I called them, explained the situation and two days later, there was a new drive in our mailbox.
The contracts normally have to be approved by my boss so that they fit our needs, but this latest batch was more of a spending some money to use up our budget at the end of the fiscal year thing and apparently the department heads were allowed to pick and choose what computers they wanted (inside the contract) rather than letting my boss choose ones that match our existing types :/  Needless to say we were not pleased.

I'll have to look at DakTech, my boss thinks pretty highly of my opinion, so I bet we could get our hands on a couple.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2006, 02:35:51 pm »
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1705RFC1&s=dhs
Yeah, they allow for it online.  But I've never seen anything different in stores.  I hope you realize that's what I was talking about. :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2006, 03:03:07 pm »
The contracts normally have to be approved by my boss so that they fit our needs, but this latest batch was more of a spending some money to use up our budget at the end of the fiscal year thing and apparently the department heads were allowed to pick and choose what computers they wanted (inside the contract) rather than letting my boss choose ones that match our existing types :/  Needless to say we were not pleased.

I'll have to look at DakTech, my boss thinks pretty highly of my opinion, so I bet we could get our hands on a couple.

One of their sales reps (not sure how many they have.  We've had the same 4-6 techs in all the calls we've made there) is really awesome. Stu or something like that, I believe his name is.

Yeah, they allow for it online.  But I've never seen anything different in stores.  I hope you realize that's what I was talking about. :P

I hope you realize most people order their computers online! :o

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2006, 03:04:40 pm »
I hope you realize most people order their computers online! :o
Liar.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2006, 03:10:25 pm »
Liar.

Haha, seriously.  Even the lady that called me to "fix her printer because it was printing in black and white" ordered hers online. -_-

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2006, 04:37:52 pm »
I don't order anything online unless I absolutely have to.  But that varies person to person, I imagine. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »
I don't order anything online unless I absolutely have to.  But that varies person to person, I imagine. 

Why not? :/

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2006, 05:03:01 pm »
If you are buying something you know nothing about, it is good to get an opinion from someone that knows what they are talking about, but I can't agree with spending more in a store just to get exactly the same thing when you know precisely what you want.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2006, 05:46:08 pm »

Why not? :/

Judging by his personality, I'd say he doesn't want his credit card number to get taken. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2006, 05:55:14 pm »
Judging by his personality, I'd say he doesn't want his credit card number to get taken. :P

If you're smart, even if it does get taken, you don't lose money.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2006, 09:43:24 pm »
If it gets taken, somebody still loses money.  Whether or not it's my money doesn't matter. 

But no, I like the hands-on feel of stores.  I don't buy a monitor until I test it, I don't buy a hammer until I swing it, I don't buy a book till I've flipped through it and maybe read a page or two (in the middle), etc.  When you buy something online, you don't necessarily get what you want. 

I have bought my share of things off eBay, though.  Mostly books, NES games, movies, and other stuff that I can't possibly buy here.  But I don't like doing it, I greatly prefer being able to hold what I'm going to buy. 

Also, I like supporting local companies, where possible.  But that's not a rule, I still buy a lot at Wal-Mart and Chapters.  But that's not my main reason, just a side reason. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2006, 10:17:56 pm »

If you're smart, even if it does get taken, you don't lose money.

I can't argue with that, but I can say it'll be hell for a while, though. My grandpa got his credit card taken once. :(

If it gets taken, somebody still loses money.  Whether or not it's my money doesn't matter. 

But no, I like the hands-on feel of stores.  I don't buy a monitor until I test it, I don't buy a hammer until I swing it, I don't buy a book till I've flipped through it and maybe read a page or two (in the middle), etc.  When you buy something online, you don't necessarily get what you want. 

I have bought my share of things off eBay, though.  Mostly books, NES games, movies, and other stuff that I can't possibly buy here.  But I don't like doing it, I greatly prefer being able to hold what I'm going to buy. 

Also, I like supporting local companies, where possible.  But that's not a rule, I still buy a lot at Wal-Mart and Chapters.  But that's not my main reason, just a side reason. 

Those are good reasons, but for the same reason (the "I know what this thing does / is exactly" reason), I'd rather buy things online. Of course, I'm biased, because the first thing I'll do with my paychecks is pay back small debts to various people, and then buy computer parts (and eventually an entire new computer) and you can't exactly do that locally.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.