Author Topic: Removing SP2?  (Read 5565 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Removing SP2?
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »
So, since my copy of WinXP is "legit" right now, my brother is buying one from his university for <$10.  There's only one catch: it has SP2 pre-installed.  Is there any way I can remove that hunk of shit from Windows or am I stuck with it? :\
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Removing SP2?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:13 pm »
SP2 isn't really that bad.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:58:30 pm »
Someone likes purposely making Windows insecure so they can make fun of it later.
</joke>

But really, it adds nothing but bugfixes. Why would you remove it?

Answer: If when you installed SP2 you clicked an option to back up pre-SP2 settings you should see it in Add/Remove Programs
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:24 pm »
Someone likes purposely making Windows insecure so they can make fun of it later.
</joke>

But really, it adds nothing but bugfixes. Why would you remove it?

Answer: If when you installed SP2 you clicked an option to back up pre-SP2 settings you should see it in Add/Remove Programs
Nonono, you don't understand what I'm saying.  It's one of the new Windows XP cds that comes with SP2 already installed for you, so you have no choice of making a backup or anything.

And I've seen SP2 cause problems and be annoying with its stupid little pop-up saying you have no virus/whatever when in fact you do.  And I'd much rather not have SP2.  You may like it, that's fine.  I haven't gotten a virus in ages and I'm not stupid when I'm browsing websites.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:41 pm »
I have to agree with deadly7: I find SP2 annoying.  All the extra stuf they added for more "security" drives me crazy. 

Which reminds me of a question I meant to ask: is there some way to disable warnings for having automatic updates disabled?  I don't like having automatic updates on (since I generally run it virtualized, never seeing the Internet), but it bugs me if they're off. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:38:20 pm »
I have to agree with deadly7: I find SP2 annoying.  All the extra stuf they added for more "security" drives me crazy. 
That's just because you don't know how to make it go away.  Deadly: give me 20 minutes to remote desktop to your computer and you won't be bothered by the security center.  I'd stick with SP2 though.

Which reminds me of a question I meant to ask: is there some way to disable warnings for having automatic updates disabled?  I don't like having automatic updates on (since I generally run it virtualized, never seeing the Internet), but it bugs me if they're off. 
I.... think so.  I certainly never get bothered for updates (and then I wonder why I have 30 updates when I bother to check).  But it never nags me.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:58:04 am »
I've never used Windows XP pre-SP2... so it doesn't really bother me. I don't seen any real big annoyance though.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 02:01:54 am »

Clicking a button?  I don't see how that could drive anyone 'crazy,' but hey, I'll take your word for it. :/

Yep.  In the security center, click on the button/link that says something like "Change the way security center alerts me."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:34:26 am »
Clicking a button?  I don't see how that could drive anyone 'crazy,' but hey, I'll take your word for it. :/
No, clicking a warning that comes up constantly, especially at the worst possible times (during meetings, etc)

Yep.  In the security center, click on the button/link that says something like "Change the way security center alerts me."
I don't remember seeing that option before.  But, I tend to ignore the links at the left, because usually they're shortcuts to other places that I don't really want to go anyways.  This is the first time I've seen an option there that I couldn't change in a more logical place.  Ohwell, that's one less annoyance :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
Oh yea, forgot about that option. Well, I don't know then. The best thing to do is remove these "annoyances" you have. Behind the scenes SP2 does a lot more than it shows security wise.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 01:50:21 pm »
Behind the scenes SP2 does a lot more than it shows security wise.
Such as?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 03:15:35 pm »

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:15 pm »
Oh yea, forgot about that option. Well, I don't know then. The best thing to do is remove these "annoyances" you have. Behind the scenes SP2 does a lot more than it shows security wise.

Definately — you should have no reason for removing SP2.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 04:31:12 pm »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 04:36:19 pm »
Behind the scenes SP2 does a lot more than it shows security wise.
Such as?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

Knock yourself out.
Hah, I knew you wouldn't know.  gg.  :P

I actually don't know what you do/don't. From what I read there however, they seemed to clean up their act codewise. You can check it out if you're interesting, I was just throwing it out there.