Author Topic: College  (Read 12175 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
College
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:18:50 pm »
I moved into my dorm on August 12th, and I can't say much..  It's pretty nerve racking and a little annoying trying to figure everything out.  They keep having "Get to know you" activities and I have been partaking in and they have been okay. 

Man... I think it's better at home, personally. :P

Atleast my room mate is cool.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: College
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:36:38 pm »
University of Missouri? That sucks. :(

Good luck. Get in on the p2p that goes on inside the LAN at your university. If all else fails, set up your own wireless network called "MOVIE PIRACY" and peddle movies and music and other warez around. Just don't let it touch the WAN and you'll be OK. What the RIAA/MPAA doesn't know, doesn't hurt them. Make all the traffic encrypted as well. Set up a wireless AP on FreeBSD running WPA, and post the passphrase on your door. Run a BitTorrent tracker on it too.

Ooh, these are such good ideas. Fuck. I think I'm doing this when I go off to college.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 09:39:26 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:48:01 pm »

Good luck. Get in on the p2p that goes on inside the LAN at your university. If all else fails, set up your own wireless network called "MOVIE PIRACY" and peddle movies and music and other warez around. Just don't let it touch the WAN and you'll be OK. What the RIAA/MPAA doesn't know, doesn't hurt them. Make all the traffic encrypted as well. Set up a wireless AP on FreeBSD running WPA, and post the passphrase on your door. Run a BitTorrent tracker on it too.

Ooh, these are such good ideas. Fuck. I think I'm doing this when I go off to college.
Unfortunately, AntiVirus does not have the *nix/BSD knowledge you do.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:42:37 pm »
I plan on doing something similar when I move into my dorm (not this year, saving money FTW!), though I probably won't post the password, as I'm aiming for the honors dorm, and posting "WAREZ NETWORK PASSWORD: BLAHBLAH" on my door would probably not be so good...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:14:45 am »
That ain't what I meant, rabbit. Just post the passphrase on your door. Associate it with nothing, but make it look like a password. i.e. make the password "bobby123456789aBCdefghkijlmnoqrpstuvwxyzpassword" so it's hard to bruteforce but people could figure out it was a password.

Plus if it isn't encrypted you can get in serious trouble if they sniff it.

Alternative to posting the password on your door is spreading via word of mouth, but being a freshmen would suck to do that. You know nobody! :(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:16:34 am by Newby »
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 03:58:12 am »
I think I'm going to go to the same college as Newby. Hm.. or bible college. I must make Newby go to NorthCentral University.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:50:44 am »
Hm.. or bible college.
Is that like clown college?

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:53:17 am »
That ain't what I meant, rabbit. Just post the passphrase on your door. Associate it with nothing, but make it look like a password. i.e. make the password "bobby123456789aBCdefghkijlmnoqrpstuvwxyzpassword" so it's hard to bruteforce but people could figure out it was a password.

Plus if it isn't encrypted you can get in serious trouble if they sniff it.

Alternative to posting the password on your door is spreading via word of mouth, but being a freshmen would suck to do that. You know nobody! :(
Hm.  Actually I know a lot of people already.  Anyway, how would they know what the password was to?  You're assuming everyone knows what they are doing with a computer.

Hm.. or bible college.
ROFL

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 12:51:54 pm »
I moved into my dorm on August 12th, and I can't say much..  It's pretty nerve racking and a little annoying trying to figure everything out.  They keep having "Get to know you" activities and I have been partaking in and they have been okay. 

I remember exactly how that felt....  Even though home was so much nicer (in some ways), I started to really enjoy myself a few months into classes.  Just be yourself and don't do anything stupid to fit in :P.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:37:25 pm »
I think I'm going to go to the same college as Newby. Hm.. or bible college. I must make Newby go to NorthCentral University.

Fuck that. I'm aiming for a high end college. I plan to do good on my SAT/ACT tests so I can get into at the very least, a good technical school. (I want into a school that can teach you business as well!)
- Newby

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:19:20 pm »
NEWBTARD!!  Go to Drexel.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:46:14 pm »

University of Missouri-Rolla**.  A little bit different from MU.  And if I knew how to do all that stuff, I still don't think I would.  I would eventually get caught by someone or the RA would figure out what was going on.  Even though the RA doesn't care he might get in trouble himself if he lets it go on and that would be very selfish of me if I let that happen.  Besides, I only live (now) an hour and a half away from my college, so I could always go up there on the weekends and get my music off of my desktop.  No worries. :P

Hm.. or bible college.
Lmao Ron.  You're so mean.

I remember exactly how that felt....  Even though home was so much nicer (in some ways), I started to really enjoy myself a few months into classes.  Just be yourself and don't do anything stupid to fit in :P.

Thanks for the advise Rule. ^^  I don't think I will have to try too hard to fit in.  Alot of the people here are very very nerdy and so they are always easy for me to get along with.  Even the non-nerdy kids are pretty nice.  My room mate isn't a nerd and he is a really funny and goofy kid.  The only part that sucks is that out of my whole graduating class, only about 5 of us came to UMR, so it has been hard trying to find them.  But all is well, I will see them eventually. 

I hope that I start to enjoy myself when classes start.  I am terrified I am not going to do well/like what I am going into.  I'm very worried about that.

The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:35 pm »
And if I knew how to do all that stuff, I still don't think I would.  I would eventually get caught by someone or the RA would figure out what was going on.  Even though the RA doesn't care he might get in trouble himself if he lets it go on and that would be very selfish of me if I let that happen.  Besides, I only live (now) an hour and a half away from my college, so I could always go up there on the weekends and get my music off of my desktop.  No worries. :P

If it is encrypted and never touches the WAN, he really can't get in trouble. And you'd hardly ever get caught unless you lived on campus with a member of the MPAA/RIAA, at which point I'd rub shit all over the guy's door. Or maybe just burn the section of the dorms down.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »
Oh yeah, a little back on topic..

Yeah, for my first couple years of University I didn't really meet anybody, or attempt to.  I lived at home for the whole duration, so that made it easier.  I've always been a loner, so I was happy to keep to myself, spend my spare time in computer labs, etc. 

Towards the end of second-year, I was playing around with a Web-bot in a lab, and the guy sitting beside me asked what I was doing.  I told him, and he knew all about Battle.net and was in his own clan and stuff.  Since then, we hit it off to the point where I visited him while he was working in Alberta and I helped him get a job where I work.  After meeting him, I met his friends, who I'm still not terribly close to, but I'm friendly with them.

Along with him, I entered our Co-op program (http://coop.cs.umanitoba.ca).  About 50 students/year are accepted into it (very few are rejected, that's all who apply).  Usually about 3/4 of them (35 or so) are fairly sociable with each other, and we generally end up taking the same classes, since due to every second term being a work-term we're out-of-stream with the normal program.  As a result, we end up being a fairly close group, and I met a lot of people I still talk to through that.  It also helped that after entering Co-op, I discovered that another guy in co-op is my mom's cousin's son, and I don't know what the hell that makes us.  But it helped to have family. 

By the first half of my last (5th) year, I knew pretty much everybody in my classes varying from being comfortable talking to them to being pretty close friends.  In the second half, a good majority of the people I knew graduated.  However, at that point I have enough respect and comfort that I was spending a lot of time with the younger Co-ops and I ended up being friends with a lot of them.  Towards the end, I had a lot of friends and I still keep in touch with most of them. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:01 pm »

Fuck that. I'm aiming for a high end college. I plan to do good on my SAT/ACT tests so I can get into at the very least, a good technical school. (I want into a school that can teach you business as well!)

I talked to the sound tech guy from One Accord (a band) and he turned down a 100% scholarship to MIT to go to NCU. In fact, I ended up playing volleyball with most of the band. Also, if you've ever been to a church where they have the song/hymn lyrics on a projector during worship, I did that job at camp too. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.