Author Topic: Slackware 11.0 almost ready!  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Slackware 11.0 almost ready!
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:26:05 pm »
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/08/15/1518234.shtml

I think I'll wait for it to be released before I install my new 320gb SATA HDD. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Slackware 11.0 almost ready!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:28:55 pm »
I thought they upgraded to kernel 2.6 in Slack 10.1, but /. says they upgraded to kernel 2.4.33.  :o
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:45:29 pm »
I thought they upgraded to kernel 2.6 in Slack 10.1, but /. says they upgraded to kernel 2.4.33.  :o
It was available in Slack 10.1 as an option. Same with Slack 11.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
2.4 series is more stable than 2.6. 2.6's minor changes can be drastic. It's sickening. :/
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:36 pm »
Yeah, Patrick favors speed/general useability over the newer kernel.  However, 2.4.33 is as up-to-date as 2.6.17, they're both the heads. 

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:39:45 pm »
Hmm.. maybe I'll try it out. I rememer when I tried 10.2.... total nightmare.

Too bad there's no GNOME. I always like GNOME better than KDE. I think KDE is ugly.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:50:55 pm »
Nightmare?  I've never had an issue with Slackware, but that's just me. 

You can get a third-party gnome package easily, try www.linuxpackages.net, the best source for non-standard Slackware packages.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 03:53:40 pm »
I remember upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2 (I thought it was 10.0 to 10.1... but eh :/) and I broke my kernel. :(
- Newby

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 03:57:24 pm »
Nightmare?  I've never had an issue with Slackware, but that's just me. 

You can get a third-party gnome package easily, try www.linuxpackages.net, the best source for non-standard Slackware packages.

Heh, it was mostly hardware detection that caused the nightmare, lol.

Oh, really.... hmm, maybe I will try it out. Hopefully the hardware detection is a lot better than 10.2.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 03:59:01 pm »
What hardware wasn't detected? You should be able to get through an install (boot with sata.i if you have an SATA HDD), and then configure a kernel to meet your hardware specifications... (www.kernel.org).
- Newby

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 04:11:18 pm »

Too bad there's no GNOME. I always like GNOME better than KDE. I think KDE is ugly.
http://gsb.freerock.org/
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 04:50:29 pm »
Hahaha, lol, has this thread turned into helping me?

What hardware wasn't detected? You should be able to get through an install (boot with sata.i if you have an SATA HDD), and then configure a kernel to meet your hardware specifications... (www.kernel.org).

It wasn't the installation that was the problem. I installed it fine, but my resolution was a small box in the middle of the screen (probably because my card wasn't detected), my internet didn't work (probably because my modem/router wasn't detected), so I couldn't get drivers, my USB mouse didn't work, etc. That's all I can remember from the top of my head.

http://gsb.freerock.org/

Hmm.. interesting. Thanks for this.

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 06:18:47 pm »
I have that same issue on the laptop I use. I just jack the resolution up to 1600x1200 and it doesn't bother me! :)
- Newby

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 07:11:38 pm »
It wasn't the installation that was the problem. I installed it fine, but my resolution was a small box in the middle of the screen (probably because my card wasn't detected), my internet didn't work (probably because my modem/router wasn't detected), so I couldn't get drivers, my USB mouse didn't work, etc. That's all I can remember from the top of my head.

Hm.  Turn up the resolution.  Make sure you run net-config (IIRC that's what it's called).  Enable hotplug.  All of that happened to me too.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:16:51 pm »
I have that same issue on the laptop I use. I just jack the resolution up to 1600x1200 and it doesn't bother me! :)

You have the same laptop as I do. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get any higher than 640x480.

Hm.  Turn up the resolution.  Make sure you run net-config (IIRC that's what it's called).  Enable hotplug.  All of that happened to me too.

Haha, I guess I'll try that out when 11.0 comes out.