Author Topic: Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Vista  (Read 4060 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Vista
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:32:59 pm »
I'm still on the RC1 bits, although I've got the RC2 DVD ISO at home.  Still, it's working solidly, and I'm pretty happy with what I see.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 07:36:31 pm »
Agreed. Explorer has grown on me, and become my top favorite from Vista. I just love how much I can customize it.

UAC is not nearly as intrusive as it used to be and performance is okay in RC2. I've experienced a few slowdowns but it will most likely be ironed out for RTM. I've also reported some DWM bugs to Microsoft and hope they will get fixed.

Vista is rock solid security wise, the system feels secure as hell. Doesn't let anything slip through. I don't know, but I think Mac has something to worry about with Vista.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:40:26 pm by Warrior[x86] »
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:08:34 pm »
yay RC2!

Woot Flip3D :D  Sexy beast.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:40:44 pm »
Is it just me, or is there a lot of wasted desktop real-estate there, everything seems really big..

Also, is there no menus, like "File", "View", etc?  Or are they hidden?  Either of those options seems annoying to me, but maybe that's just me..

Vista is rock solid security wise
Considering you aren't a security expert, that's a pretty hefty claim.  I think that only time will tell on that one. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:44:38 pm by iago »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:43:18 pm »
Jesus Christ @ all three of you. Nice 1MB screenshots.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:49:43 pm »
Is it just me, or is there a lot of wasted desktop real-estate there, with that big clock and stuff?  Or is that your own option? 
That stuff is behind desktop windows unless it's actively being used, So no, it doesn't waste desktop real estate.
Also, is there no menus, like "File", "View", etc?  Or are they hidden?  Either of those options seems annoying to me, but maybe that's just me..
By default the menus are hidden and are visible when you press ALT. You can make them default to visible though.

The ink input panel is much improved too. This is He first time I've "written" with it, and it's far superior to XP's.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:54:55 am »
Considering you aren't a security expert, that's a pretty hefty claim.  I think that only time will tell on that one. 

Yesterday, for patch Tuesday, Microsoft fixed 26 security flaws, including 10 critical, and two of them affected Vista.  I figure they're back on the same path again. 

Full story from Washington Post -- sorry about the crappy source, I'm at work and don't have time to find a real reference :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:19:03 am »
Is it just me, or is there a lot of wasted desktop real-estate there, everything seems really big..

It's just you... :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:02 pm »
purddy

so, uh, if I were looking to find this...would I download it via microsoft.com somewhere, order a dvd, or ask you people? ;)

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:38:26 pm »
purddy

so, uh, if I were looking to find this...would I download it via microsoft.com somewhere, order a dvd, or ask you people? ;)
I believe Microsoft is only sending activation keys to people who have already participated in the beta.  I don't know of a place where new keys are being given out.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 01:52:48 pm »
Full story from Washington Post -- sorry about the crappy source, I'm at work and don't have time to find a real reference :P

That's a big deal because plenty of people (including the author) still use these older versions, and while users can get patches for recent versions of Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint from the standard Microsoft patch sites -- such as Windows Update, Microsoft Update and via Automatic Updates -- people running Microsoft Office 2000, or standalone Word, Excel and PowerPoint versions cannot get updates for those products through the same means. Instead, they must add a second stage to their patching by heading over to the Office homepage and letting Office Update scan their machines.
What a fucking jackass.  So Microsoft wasn't forward-thinking enough six fucking years ago to integrate Office Update into Windows Update.  There is still a fucking Help->Update Office menu item in the Office products.

If I had to guess, the vulnerabilities would be this one in ASP.NET 2.0 (classified "moderate" and which does not permit remote code execution), and since they're not listed, it could be in either the XML core (critical) or server service (high).  I like how the article author instantly decided it's the XML services component with absolutely no hints from Microsoft that go either way.

I figure they're back on the same path again. 
Oh.  Duh.  What was I thinking?  We should just expect there to be absolutely no security issues whatsoever in any code that comes out of Redmond.  Because, as we all no, absolutely no quality software EVER requires updates.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:00:16 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:59:59 pm »
I didn't participate in the beta and I was still able to get a key from the link warrior posted a few days ago.  I downloaded the ISO last night.  I'll probably install it some time soon.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:20 pm »
Oh.  Duh.  What was I thinking?  We should just expect there to be absolutely no security issues whatsoever in any code that comes out of Redmond.  Because, as we all no, absolutely no quality software EVER requires updates.
I was responding to the post I quoted:

showing that it's not, in fact, "rock solid".  It's just another OS, and it's going to have its share of security flaws. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:22:08 pm »
I didn't participate in the beta and I was still able to get a key from the link warrior posted a few days ago.  I downloaded the ISO last night.  I'll probably install it some time soon.
aw:( his link
http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm
just redirects to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 02:28:11 pm »
I was responding to the post I quoted:

showing that it's not, in fact, "rock solid".  It's just another OS, and it's going to have its share of security flaws. 

Okay? Given they were two out of ten bugs, and given it wasn't specified so it may not even be one of the critical security issues. Vista is still not released so they in fact are ironing out some of the bugs.

I still stand by it being rock solid, most of the XP vulns allowed a user to take control of your computer. With UAC locking every important thing down, I seriously doubt this will be an issue.

And at the UI stuff: I found it annoying to, but there is an option in explorer to show the File Edit Help menus.
The reason my stuff looks big is my ATi drivers wont let me set my res past 1024x768 for some reason.

@Rabbit: How's CS and stuff running? I hear Steam games have problem with the Vista game epxlorer.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling