Author Topic: Apartment Etiquette (concerning Pizza)  (Read 5748 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Apartment Etiquette (concerning Pizza)
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:20:27 pm »
I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, and since neither of us have ever lived in an apartment, we didn't know.

If you order a pizza, and the pizza guy buzzes you, is it proper to go down to the front door to meet him, or is it proper to let him in so he can take the elevator to your apartment? 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Apartment Etiquette (concerning Pizza)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:37:13 pm »
I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, and since neither of us have ever lived in an apartment, we didn't know.

If you order a pizza, and the pizza guy buzzes you, is it proper to go down to the front door to meet him, or is it proper to let him in so he can take the elevator to your apartment? 

...whoa, you have apartments where you have to buzz people up???

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:52:40 pm »
Yes, I think every apartment I've ever visited is like that.  You walk in the front door thing, and there's a panel of numbers.  You press the number corresponding to the person you want, which rings their phone or buzzes their intercom or something.  They answer, you say who you are, and they let you up. 

Is that abnormal?  It's all I've ever known..

trust

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:53 pm »
In the US (or at least around here, I know in really populated cities like New York apartments are like that though) we have apartments where they are made like Motels sort of and you can just go straight to that persons door.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:14:46 pm »
Hmm, that's weird.  I can't think of a single apartment here where you can walk up to somebody's door.  I just assumed it was like that everywhere.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 04:26:27 pm »
Most apartments have buzzers which unlock the main (building's front) door.  The apartment buildings without buzzers are the lower-class ones (IE: where a homicidal thief entering probably doesn't matter so much, since he lives there).

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »
How big is the city you live in?

Honestly, I've never been to an apartment building where you had to be buzzed in.  I've been to one where there was a gate with a security code, thats it though.

Just depends on the size of the city I spose

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 05:14:26 pm »
650,000 or so here.

I've never seen one with a gate.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 05:21:54 pm »
I speak from real life experience of ordering a pizza in an apartment.  We rang the guy in and had him take the elevator.  After all he's the one delivering, not you.
-RoMi

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 05:50:25 pm »
I don't think it matters.  I personally have never lived in an apartment building, but on Friends they always had the guy come to their door.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 06:18:34 pm »

I'd have to say go down and get the pizza.  Depending on the area, he/she could be unfamiliar with the building and take much longer getting to your room.  I think it makes more sense to go down and meet him/her.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:30:09 pm »

I'd have to say go down and get the pizza.  Depending on the area, he/she could be unfamiliar with the building and take much longer getting to your room.  I think it makes more sense to go down and meet him/her.

I agree with Sidoh the faster you get your pizza the hotter it is :), this topic is making me hungry

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 06:34:56 pm »
I think it should all be due to circumstances, nothing should be set in stone. If it's heavily snowing outside and the guy is tired, just go down and get it. If it's a normal day and theres nothing which would make his life that much harder by bringing it up, have him bring it up.

It also like Sidoh says, depends how complex your apartment is but (here at least) they aren't that complex unless you're talking like the huge 30 story apartment complexes.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 06:54:01 pm »
I don't think it matters.  I personally have never lived in an apartment building, but on Friends they always had the guy come to their door.
They buzzed in Sienfeld :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:26 pm »
Hmm, I figured there was some standard way that you're "supposed" to do it, but I guess not. 

And technically, the fastest way is if he comes up, unless it takes twice as long for him to do the walk as it takes you.  See, you have to do a full round trip, which takes the full RTT, whereas he only has to make a half-trip, which takes RTT/2.