Author Topic: Dear Europe, DIAF  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Dear Europe, DIAF
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 05:10:33 pm »
The death penalty is included in Hammurabi's code, I don't think you'll find that same similarity in the definition of a monarch for the president...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 05:20:18 pm »
Joe, you didn't read the article.  FL stopped the death penalty because lethal injections aren't always 100% effective the first time through.

Sidoh, since when did "gruesome" have anything to do with justice?
Hangings are still legal in some states, why shouldn't the guillotine be?  It is quicker, more efficient, and more effective than hanging or lethal injections.

How it involves less struggle:
-Dude in FL was administered lethal injection, didn't die so they had to shoot him up again.  Because it didn't work right away, he suffered for something like 30 minutes IIRC
-Had he been guillotined he would been dead in a matter of seconds.

Seems like less struggling & suffering to me

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 06:31:17 pm »
Joe, you didn't read the article.  FL stopped the death penalty because lethal injections aren't always 100% effective the first time through.

Sidoh, since when did "gruesome" have anything to do with justice?
Hangings are still legal in some states, why shouldn't the guillotine be?  It is quicker, more efficient, and more effective than hanging or lethal injections.

How it involves less struggle:
-Dude in FL was administered lethal injection, didn't die so they had to shoot him up again.  Because it didn't work right away, he suffered for something like 30 minutes IIRC
-Had he been guillotined he would been dead in a matter of seconds.

Seems like less struggling & suffering to me

IIRC, the last hanging was done over ten years ago and is only currently legal in two out of the fifty states, which have both dismantled their facilities for performing them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:33:50 pm by Lord[nK] »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 06:42:03 pm »
I stand by with what I've said before -- people should have life in prison unless they are too dangerous (IE, escaping and going on a killing spree). To you, what would be more punishment -- life in confinement, bored out of your wits, every day for the rest of your life, or the end? But yeah, if they're an escape mastermind then we're definately not going to let them sit and plot out their escape and killing spree.

I don't think you know what you're talking about... :P

As for a lethal injection, it doesn't hurt, does it? I mean, I've never gotten one obviously, but it can't hurt more than a flu shot. Five minutes after the injection, the on-site doctor declares you dead after checking for a pulse, and from the limited footage of the injections I've seen, your writs and legs and strapped to a table, you're injected, and you die. I've never seen anyone scream / writhe in agnoy or pain, like electric chairs.

Again, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Yes, the guillotine was neat back in it's time period (before injections because usable) because it killed them quickly, but how would you rather die -- head chopped off, or injected? And think about your funeral, especially if you want to have an open casket. Your headless form won't be too attactive.

High collared shirt... the funeral argument doesn't do anything.

There's two things wrong with your analogy. First, I doubt you intended this, but you didn't specify which kind of monarchy you were referring to. The government we have is like a constituional monarchy. Second, who said that monarchy was barbaric? Your analogy implies that. In fact, I'd say that Clan x86 operates under a constutional monarchy, Newby is the Queen (yes, the Queen), and the rules are our constituion.

It's an analogy; it doesn't necessarily have any sort of direct correlation to what it applies to.  I didn't imply it, you inferred it.

And again, I don't think you have much of a clue... :P

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:00:58 pm »
IIRC, the last hanging was done over ten years ago and is only currently legal in two out of the fifty states, which have both dismantled their facilities for performing them.
They've cut all their trees down?  :P
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 07:22:29 pm »
I was about to ask that.

Anyhow, still legal there

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 07:27:41 pm »
In my opinion, the Death Penalty only works if it is preformed publicly. If it is, people see how bad it is, and don't want to commit the crime. Now, when the "deed" is done, it's inside so only a few people can see it. The reason behind the death penalty is to distroy the idea of commiting a crime like that, and also the idea that you can get away after commiting the crime. I'm not for the death penalty due to the ways that they do it now. If they made it a painful, disturbing public thing I would be for it. There is no sence in hiding something that effects the community.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »

No, but they have destroyed all of their gallows, which were the official places of execution.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:31:43 pm by Lord[nK] »

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 07:33:14 pm »

No, but they have destroyed all of their gallows, which were the official places of execution.
Man, I'm glad you have a sence of humor. :p

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 07:38:04 pm »

Man, I'm glad you have a sence of humor. :p

... as long as I have the last word.  ;p

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 09:38:38 pm »
I think it's human nature.  If human nature is barbaric, then I agree.
I would say that human nature is barbaric.  I don't think there's anything good about enjoying the death of a person. 

In my opinion, the Death Penalty only works if it is preformed publicly. If it is, people see how bad it is, and don't want to commit the crime. Now, when the "deed" is done, it's inside so only a few people can see it. The reason behind the death penalty is to distroy the idea of commiting a crime like that, and also the idea that you can get away after commiting the crime. I'm not for the death penalty due to the ways that they do it now. If they made it a painful, disturbing public thing I would be for it. There is no sence in hiding something that effects the community.
I actually believe the exact opposite.  My biggest problem with the death penalty is that people are impressionable, and when they see justice in killing, I think it becomes more likely that they'll kill for their own personal justice.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 03:31:36 am »
I would say that human nature is barbaric.  I don't think there's anything good about enjoying the death of a person.

Me too.  Sorry, that last post made it sound like I didn't believe that, haha.

Despite your despise for the feeling, I would think that it is completely natural to feel the satisfaction of revenge.  I'm not trying to use that as justification for the existence of the death penalty, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 09:49:41 am »

Me too.  Sorry, that last post made it sound like I didn't believe that, haha.

Despite your despise for the feeling, I would think that it is completely natural to feel the satisfaction of revenge.  I'm not trying to use that as justification for the existence of the death penalty, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

I agree that it's completely natural.  It's also completely natural to fu... er, have sex with multiple mates to have many, many children.  That's the natural way.  But in what we call the "civilized world," that doesn't happen. 

Which is an interesting point -- what's up with people being "civilized"?