Author Topic: Anyone want to start a new character?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Anyone want to start a new character?
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:59:55 pm »
Well, I ran into a dilemma. I signed up using the trial account option, and had planned on upgrading to the pay account once it ran out. Well, I just tried to pay and found out several things. If you're using a trial account, and want to straight up pay to play, you're charged $20.00 up front. They tell you the first month is free, and this money is basically your "activation" fee, as well as to purchase a new key. I guess you can look at this as either being the $15.00 monthly payment for the first month and $5.00 for the key, or the $20.00 key. Anyways, I have my own key, as well as all the installation disks with me, and tried to upgrade the trial account using my key. It says it has already been used, because ... it has, on my old account. I remember the password to the old account, and can just activate that one I guess. Basically, I would rather spend $15.00 instead of $20.00, and use my old account, and be forced to start a new character. For some reason the extra five dollars is just enough to make this game not worth it, to me.

So, I ask - does anyone want to begin a new character with me?! Or, has anyone recently began one (below level 20)?! Doesn't matter which server, as long as it's pvp I guess.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Anyone want to start a new character?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:01:05 am »
Why do newbies continually insist on pvp servers? :(

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:05:02 am »
Why do newbies continually insist on pvp servers? :(

because role playing is full of fucking losers, and normal lacks a large aspect of the game, imo.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:01 am »
because role playing is full of fucking losers, and normal lacks a large aspect of the game, imo.

My "home" server is Feathermoon, a RP server.  There are losers, but as I've argued before, the general population is more tolerable than the other types.  I don't think you quite know what you're talking about...

In any case, the only aspect that non-pvp servers "lack" is getting ganked and ganking, neither of which have a purpose aside from epeening.  The only physically rewarding form of pvp is battlegrounds (and similar things), which is cross server now, so what server you pick doesn't matter much anymore.

It basically boils down to this: Do you want to constantly get ganked while leveling?  If not, is it worth it so that you can be a lifeless dick in return when you get to level 60?  PvP is still present on PvE and RP servers; you simply gain the ability to not worry about it if you don't want to.  Stranglethorn Vale and Duskwood (as examples) are wonderful places to quest on normal servers.  They're a gankfest on PvP servers.

This is, of course, my own opinion.  Pick what you want, but I have a hard time playing on a PvP server.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:45:25 am by Sidoh »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:57:10 am »
Well, on PvE servers, youre able to attack NPCs in towns of the other faction by default - whereas the players of the other faction are not flagged attackable by default. So, how do you stop a bunch of 60's, soon to be 70's from comming in and killing your whole town? They can just deny your duel, and continue their raiding

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:13:41 am »
Attacking an NPC of the opposing faction will make you vulnerable to player attacks from that faction.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:36:42 am »
Well, on PvE servers, youre able to attack NPCs in towns of the other faction by default - whereas the players of the other faction are not flagged attackable by default. So, how do you stop a bunch of 60's, soon to be 70's from comming in and killing your whole town? They can just deny your duel, and continue their raiding

You've just confirmed my accusation

I don't think you quite know what you're talking about...

As Skywing already said, attacking anyone of the opposite faction who's PvP flag is active (there are a few exceptions, eg dueling a Horde as an Alliance while their flag is up and yours isn't) will automatically activate your PvP flag (faction-specific NPC's have their PvP flag activated with no exceptions I can think of).  This is only one way a PvP flag is activated; there are several others.  For example, if you heal, buff or dispel someone of the same faction who is PvP enabled, your PvP flag is activated.  You can also manually activate your PvP flag with the slash-command /pvp.  In addition to these things, entering any capital city belonging to the opposing faction will instantly activate your PvP flag, regardless of server type. 

If a raid of high-level alliance enter The Undercity, they won't last long against the NPC's unless they're high in number (the successful raids on the city bosses I've heard of are 300+ people) and well prepared, but the players of the opposing faction will get their chance to pick them off.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:38:46 am by Sidoh »

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 02:55:12 am »
I personally don't ever want to touch a PvP server ever again. All my high level alts are on a PvE server, but for the hell of it I switched to one of my older PvP characters for reminicsing purposes. Within a half hour of playing, I was already ganked three times, and I wasn't even in STV.

Yes, PvE lacks a certain aspect of the game. The aspect that makes it ten times harder to level because 60 rogues are constantly sneaking up behind you and jabbing you a couple of times in the back. While I have to say that I like flagging myself sometimes in 60 areas and attempting to get other people to flag themselves and fight me, I really, really do not miss that aspect of gameplay. If I could, I wouldn't mind transferring to a PvP server for it at 60, but before that, trying to level is a pain in the ass.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:16:49 am »
It's all about what you enjoy.  I dislike people saying "Aye, sir!  Care to donate to the Flaming Crusaders?".  The enviroment on a PvP server IMO is much more welcoming.  You get ganked, you ask for help and here come two 60s to help you out.  You guys must have rolled on some shitty PvP servers, I hardly ever get ganked.  I see a hordie and depending on whether he wants to fight or not ( he does /chicken ; /spit, etc. ) I /wave or /bow and go along my way.  Anyways, warz if you want to roll on a *PvP server:

Executus - PvP ( Horde ):

Me, Krazed and Mythix play there.  There is a topic about it here.

Maelstrom - RP-PvP ( Alliance):

Me: 42 Rogue, 31 Paladin, 18 Druid, 12 Priest and a low hunter.

Mythix: High 20's maybe low 30's Rogue and another char ( I can't remember >_> )

Warrior: 42 Warrior and a low rogue.

I'm on both servers off and on, as is Mythix.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 01:07:11 pm »
It's all about what you enjoy.  I dislike people saying "Aye, sir!  Care to donate to the Flaming Crusaders?".  The enviroment on a PvP server IMO is much more welcoming.  You get ganked, you ask for help and here come two 60s to help you out.  You guys must have rolled on some shitty PvP servers, I hardly ever get ganked.  I see a hordie and depending on whether he wants to fight or not ( he does /chicken ; /spit, etc. ) I /wave or /bow and go along my way.  Anyways, warz if you want to roll on a *PvP server:

Never encountered anything like that.  Lol, more welcoming?  More childish... The Barrens chat is a nightmare...

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39:55 pm »

Never encountered anything like that.  Lol, more welcoming?  More childish... The Barrens chat is a nightmare...

That's not just in *PvP servers...

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:33 pm »

I didn't have a problem with it on FM. :\

So, every time you get ganked, you have the phenomenal ability to summon two level 60's to your side?  Haha, that's an optimism if I've ever heard one.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 02:21:37 pm »

I didn't have a problem with it on FM. :\

So, every time you get ganked, you have the phenomenal ability to summon two level 60's to your side?  Haha, that's an optimism if I've ever heard one.

I rarely get ganked, but when I do ( In STV for example ) there is ALWAYS at least one 60 around willing to help, I normally end up seeing at least two show up to take care of the problem.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 03:39:59 pm »
What level are you again?  How often to quest?

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:05 pm »
What level are you again?  How often to quest?

My "main" is 42, I spend a lot of time in STV with him.  My 30 Paladin just moved out of Duskwood where I almost got ganked by a rogue but murdered him.  I hardly have problems getting ganked, they normally run by me, stop, look, and keep going.