Author Topic: What's your typical cell phone minute usage and plan?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
What's your typical cell phone minute usage and plan?
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:18:54 am »
I'm just curious.  For the first time since I've had a cell phone (5+ years), I went over my minutes this month (by a lot).  I have 1000 weekday/unlimited nights and weekends, and I went over by about 320.  Since it was my first time they were kind enough to throw me 400 bonus minutes and I didn't get hammered the $120 or so it would have been.

My total minutes usage for the month is right around 3600, which means I talk a ton at night and on the weekends.  I'm just curious to see what you guys do and what kinds of rate plans you have.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: What's your typical cell phone minute usage and plan?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:59:59 am »
I have 1000 minutes any time, and unlimited or something at night, but I don't use my phone enough to worry about going over.
errr... something like that...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:01:18 pm »
I'm on a shared plan with 4 other people which gives me unlimited nights & weekends and unlimited to other verizon customers, ~5000 anytime minutes IIRC.  I don't even use 100 minutes though (including nights and weekends) and about half of those minutes are with my fiancee.  Maybe its just because I live in a small town where its always easy to just go see someone if I want to talk to them.

I've had this phone for about 13 months and here are my stats:
Dialed: 22:42:11 (~45/month)
Received: 20:48:43 (~41/month)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:06:08 pm by unTactical »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:43:04 pm »
I have a shared family plan thing. I don't use my phone much, I probably spend an hour or less a month talking to anyone other than my girlfriend, and probably upwards of 10 hours/month talking to her (errr, listening to her talk) but we both have verizon so that's free.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

trust

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »
I have 1000 minutes shared and I guess free nights/weekends. We've only gone over once, and it was my fault. I hardly use my cell now though.

Hitmen: Is the free Verizon in-calling standard, and does it apply for long distance as well? (Maybe Verizon removed all long distance calling, I'm not sure?)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:53:27 pm by OG Trust »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 05:56:15 pm »
Hitmen: Is the free Verizon in-calling standard, and does it apply for long distance as well? (Maybe Verizon removed all long distance calling, I'm not sure?)
Yes, and yes.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:10:17 pm »
I got the cheapest plan that Rogers (AT&T) offers. I get 150 minutes/unlimited evenings/weekends. I also got 100 minutes of long distance/month for an extra $12 (I call home a lot, so it made sense).

So far, my biggest bill is for 60 daytime minutes and 463 evening/weekend minutes.

Of course, I'm not a big phone person :)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:56 pm »
Flying 4 times a month, going $120 over on an already expensive phone plan, and spending on average 2 hours a day on the phone (likely about 5 hours/day on weekends)?  This girl is sure costing you. ;)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:50:12 pm by Rule »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:58 pm »
Flying 4 times a month,
The extra flight this month was a fluke because when I went to go see her, she was out of town in the hospital.  I typically get two flights a month to see her (one there, one back).  The other was to go see family in California.

going $120 over on an already expensive phone plan,
Did you miss that I'm not paying for it?  And 1000 minutes for $40 a month isn't hardly expensive with free nights and weekends.

and spending on average 2 hours a day on the phone (likely about 5 hours/day on weekends)? 
Actually the majority of phone time with her is at night, not on the weekend.  But I only had 250 daytime minutes with her.  The real trick will be itemizing my bill and figuring out where the rest of the time went.

This girl is sure costing you. ;)
What's it to you?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 12:04:05 am »
I have no phone.   :(
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 12:09:13 am »
This girl is sure costing you. ;)
What's it to you?

Judging from your reply, it is to me the satisfaction for being right in my guess, since you never explicitly stated any of these things had anything to do with a girl, and it is amusement to me. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:11 am »
I generally don't use my cell phone often. I think one month I had a total of 7 minutes used lol.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 12:12:30 am »
I think I talk a maximum of 30 minutes on a daily basis. Sometimes (about once every two months or so?) I'll binge and talk to someone for like two hours. Other than that, I don't use it too much.

My ideal plan would probably be 1000 anytime and free nights and weekends (off topic: my celing light dimmed as I was typing this..) with rollover.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 12:28:14 am »
I can't stand cell phones.  I used to have one, but I decided that I would never get one again (in the near future) for the following reasons:

a) I don't like being "reachable" wherever I am, or having people believe that I am reachable. (Yes, the cell phone can be turned off, but that doesn't mean people won't expect to be able to contact me when I'm out).

b) The reception at best is still not as a good as a landline.  I can't stand poor reception, or any interruptions to my phone conversations.  I remember it felt like such a relief whenever I used a landline after using a cell-phone for an extended period: it was as though I took a phone-use specific valium dose.

c) They usually don't feel as comfortable as a landline telephone, as they have been designed with portability in mind.

d) I always felt kind of disoriented after speaking on a cell phone for a long period of time.  I don't like the idea of having an huge amount of EM radiation so close to my head either (this sentence may not be that disconnected from the previous one).  And I don't like it when the cellphone gets hot in your hand after prolonged use.

e) I hate seeing people use cell phones in public places -- classrooms, restaurants, etc.  It's low-class, rude, generates an uncomfortable atmosphere, and it's interruptive.  If I were a girl out on a date at a restaurant with a guy, and he started loudly talking on his cell-phone during most of the meal, I would drop him like whatever cliche describes when people drop things when they are extremely undesirable.  I've noticed these guys (I mention the hypothetical "if I were a girl" example because I've observed this particularly with men out on a date with a girl) often have a really dumb expression on their chubby faces
and sound as though they think they're important because they're talking on a cell phone in public (e.g. their attention is desirable).  Or they also think this behavior will impress whoever they are with.

and perhaps less importantly..
I hate it when I'm in a meeting or lecture and someone's cell phone goes off accidentally.  Either
A) Everyone will laugh (hasn't it gotten old at this point?)
B) It's just awkward and annoying.  That's what cellphones are. >:(

and also, I don't like watching people compulsively take out their phones to text message someone.  It's like they'll be reading a book or something and I'll watch their knee jerk as though it's been hit at the joint
as they reach out, grab their phones, and start typing on it like a korean with Asperger's syndrome and a  PhD. in Starcraft.

Oh and I HATE it when people whine about their "minutes."  It's a classic excuse for shortening a conversation, or starting a conversation up to get sympathy from friends who also like talking about how cheap they are in various ways.  Just get a landline and don't worry about regular "minutes."  And it's not nice talking on a phone and imaging an egg-timer in the back of your head (or to push the image further, an egg-timer with finely ground dollar bills in place of the coloured sand).

In short, I hate cell phones.  I wish they were never invented.

It would be fun extending this and turning it into a Seinfeld stand-up. :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:44:59 am by Rule »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:46:00 am »
I hate it when I'm in a meeting or lecture and someone's cell phone goes off accidentally.  Either
A) Everyone will laugh (hasn't it gotten old at this point?)
B) It's just awkward and annoying.  That's what cellphones are. >:(

or... C) Everyone will put out their cell phone and make sure it isn't theirs ringing! :D

I've always wanted to creep into a business meeting and set off a default ringtone, and watch as everyone checks their phone. ;P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.