Author Topic: Rate my wall!  (Read 3490 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Rate my wall!
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:44:21 pm »
I wasn't really sure where to put this, since we don't have a forum for war-gaming or modeling, so I figured I'd throw it here.

I'm learning how to build terrain. Well, by learning, I mean looking at pictures and trying to imitate :)

I took a first shot at building a wall (it's 100% for practice/demonstration, since it's obviously the totally wrong shape to be an actual wall). I cut it out of foam-core (foam-board), added some texturing (if you want, I'll tell you what I used to do the texture.. it was pretty clever!), and painted it. I was going for a dark castle-wall look, as if the bricks were cut out of granite or some other dark rock.

I'm thinking of making some really simple houses, out of wood and brick, as practice. I used to be really good at drafting, so I figure I'll take that up again. Draw it out, cut out the pieces, etc.

Anyway, here's my wall (from 2 angles, and one with no flash), what do you guys think? Comments/suggestions would be great:

trust

Re: Rate my wall!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:32:42 pm »
I think that actually looks really good. I don't plan on making one, but I'm curious what you used for the texture...maybe I'll need to do it for a project or something?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:32:08 pm »
Sure, I'll go over how I made this (it's really simple, almost as simple as you can get). I only recently learned some of the tricks I used.

Here's the obvious boring stuff:
- Take foam-core, cut into a rectangle (you can get it at Wal-mart near the poster-paper (giant construction paper).
- Measure the acrossways lines. Using a ruler, score the cross things good with a pen (or anything pointy, really). I went over each line three or four times pushing decently hard, I'm not sure if that was necessary.
- Measure the up-down bricks from the side, and score the brick-edges on every second row. Then do the same, moved over by half the brick width, and do the rest of the rows (basically, stack them).

Then comes the fun. I was looking around for something with an interesting pattern. I looked at my fruit bowl beside me, and had a stroke of genius! I took out a peach, ate it, washed the pit, and voila! A nice texture.
- Using a peach core (a rock works too, or anything hard with a well defined texture), imprint the foam all over.
- Using watered-down black paint, paint the entire thing. Make sure it's thin, so you don't fill in the details, but make sure you cover everything.
- Once the black dries, you might want a second coat of black, depending on how it looks.
- Take a gray paint (I used one that's ~50% gray), and brush it over. You should make sure you don't have too much on your brush, and spread it out a lot. You want to make sure you have some black showing, especially in the cracks.
- Take a off-white paint (cream-colored, or similar), and brush it over even more lightly (ie, with less paint on the brush). It should cover most of the surface, but very thin
- If you want, take a dark-green paint and add some mold. Same thing as before, with very little paint on the brush (more if you want it defined) do a few patches.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:34:41 pm »
Here are a couple more I did.

My lame try at a brick wall (I don't think it turned out well):

A pretty cool looking wood (floor, probably):

And here are all three walls that I made:

Comments are welcome and appreciated!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 01:40:15 am »
The brick one looks okay except that the color isn't evenly dispersed.  Though it'd be useful in a dungeon-situation where it's dilapidated or something.  I like the stone one the most.. it's pretty badass.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 01:47:18 am »
Well, bricks aren't always the same color, so the unevenness is somewhat intentional.

What I don't like is how the cracks, which are supposed to be white (plaster) got filled in with red. But maybe that's not so noticeable?

trust

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:23:02 am »
Well, bricks aren't always the same color, so the unevenness is somewhat intentional.

What I don't like is how the cracks, which are supposed to be white (plaster) got filled in with red. But maybe that's not so noticeable?

It makes it look older like the plaster is dirty or the color from the brick has bled onto it or something.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:23:32 pm »

Really?  In a lot of the brick buildings I've seen, the bricks generally follow a color pattern (the easiest way for me to describe it would be to call it a crystal lattice with two colors) when the bricks are new.  The cracks getting filled in with red make it look old, but that's about it.  If you were shooting for old bricks you did fine, but if you were going for new ones, back to the drawing (painting?) board!
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 03:08:26 pm »
Old was my intention for all three. It comes across well on all three, for different reasons. The wooden one is best, I think, because I pushed too hard and the foam got a little wrinkled. :)