Author Topic: So I bought a Mac  (Read 8478 times)

trust

So I bought a Mac
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:50:45 pm »
Yeah yesterday I bought a Macbook for college, as well as an iPod nano and printer (both free after mail in rebate.) True I already have a video iPod but the nano will be free in 6-8 weeks, and I can use it when I exercise in college since it has flash memory. My main concern with buying a Macbook was the screensize, so I was considering going up to the Macbook Pro but after a lot of research and multiple iPod store visits I decided on the Macbook. A big factor in the decision was price ($800 cheaper w/ student discount) but also the MBP would have been kind of big to use in class. So I wanted it small while on the move but larger when in my dorm, so I bought a 19 inch widescreen monitor as well. I had a 15 inch LCD monitor but when I started playing WoW I found it to be too small and started using my LCD TV, and just got used to the larger size. It was a hassle to unhook/rehook everything when I wanted to watch TV though. The 19 inch is smaller than my TV and much more comfortable on the eyes, and I have the VGA cable going to my PC and the DVI cable going to my Mac. I'm only using it for PC now though because I don't have an external mouse or keyboard for the Mac yet so it would be kind of pointless, plus something is wrong and it's INCREDIBLY bright and just looks bad. The colors are messed up some on PC too and I haven't figured out how to fix it, but it's bearable until I figure it out. I still have my Compaq laptop but that's on my dresser and probably won't get used that much except for djing until I get software and stuff setup on my Mac for it, then I'll either sell my Compaq or give it to my parents or sister. I am trying to sell my desktop though if anyone is interested (though I'd want to sell it towards the end of July not right now.)

Anyway here are some pictures:

This is the box, it is incredibly sexy and I felt bad when I had to cut the UPC out. :(

This is my current desk setup, and probably how it will stay until I leave for school. The wires are kind of crazy despite my best efforts, but whatever. This printer is killing desk space though and now my router/modem are on the floor.

This is the monitor, it had a ton of good reviews and it's very crisp and nice looking but the brightness is FUBAR, at least for me. I don't know what is up. It looks ok in the picture though because of the black wallpaper.

This is my PC. I bought a new case when I upgraded the RAM that had a better cooling setup. I like it.

The inside. It's sexy, you should buy it.

This is the Macbook in all it's sexyness, along with my iPod video, cellphone (Chocolate), iPod nano, and the Mac remote (which is great for controlling iTunes...I don't really use it for frontrow since I dont watch DVDs or anything on the Mac (yet.))

I'll admit I really don't NEED a Mac, it was just a want that I've had for a long time. It's mainly me giving in to curiousity (I've only used them briefly) and the design department of Apple (They are just so damn sexy looking.) Plus the Mac was better spec'd and cheaper than the recommended systems from my school/Dell. (I'm going to add another gig of RAM to the Mac, although it runs great now with just 1gb) At first it was a little different too, but I quickly got the hang of it and it's really nice. Stuff just seems to...work, and it works fast which is what I really like. There's a lot of productivity things taken into account too which I think will help a lot in school.
I just thought I'd share. :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: So I bought a Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:20 pm »
I'm so, so sorry.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:58:11 pm »
I don't know you anymore.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:01 pm »
You're dead to me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:41:17 pm »
Awesome, congrats!

I may prefer Linux, but every person who gets something other than Windows is a victory. Take that, Microsoft!

trust

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »
Awesome, congrats!

I may prefer Linux, but every person who gets something other than Windows is a victory. Take that, Microsoft!

Thanks! I'll still use my PC up until I leave for college but after that it'll just be the Mac. I might install Parallels/Windows XP, or at least take my XP disc with me just in case I need to. But I doubt I will, since there's usually a port or alternative software for OSX (with the exception of games, but my roommate and I are bringing an XBox 360, PS2, and Wii so I think we'll be good for games.)

Here is a video of just me using some different stuff, for all you bashers. (Streaming via Photobucket) I forgot to include Frontrow, but basically all I do is push a button on the Apple remote and it brings up Frontrow which is essentially the equivalent of media center.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:33:54 pm »
Commie queer.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:29:11 pm »
Mac FT ... L!!!!

Pssht.
Apple is way over rated.

People buy for the following reasons:
1) They want to be non-conformist so they conform to Apple's minimalist image/the 'pop culture'
2) They (for some reason that is BEYOND me) think Microsoft is evil.  I mean sure they nearly have a monopoly, but that's just good ol' American business right there
3) They think (this is more for the libs) Apple is a more friendly company. I recall reading a story (I'll see if I can't find it in a bit) about Apple having horrible pollution and not cleaning it up
4) They don't realize that Apple rapes people on charges
5) They don't realize that Apple forces you to use their crap when PC's are MUCH more customizable
6) They don't care to learn linux

All in all, it's a hugely lame conforming society of "coolness."  College kids trying to be "in" and old people trying to look young.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:35:40 pm »
Well said, Crazed, but I think MyndFyre elegantly summarized everything you said in two words:

Commie queer.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 05:38:10 pm »
Um, from what I've seen, and from my own opinion, I think people buy Apple hardware...because they like it. I bought an iPod not only because it plays music and is easily navigable, but it looks awesome, sleek, and shiny. Not many Apple consumers I know have really heard of Linux and aren't really partisan to Microsoft/Apple/Linux. I've seen that division mainly online. Also, laptops, regardless of type, aren't highly customizable, at least the ones I've seen, but Macbook Pros are great, and they do everything I could think of doing at school. They also have new LED screens, instead of the mercury? based screen that caused pollution previously. The only big thing that stopped me from getting one was the price, which I admit was pretty high for me.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:43:41 pm »
The second reason I have an iPod is because, at the time, it had the biggest share of the market so all of the accessories related to audio was developed for the iPod.  I did try an iRiver before I bought the iPod but after receiving 3PIECES OF SHIT I gave up and went mainstream :(

Right now, I'd like something different...not sure what though, don't really find anything too appealing.

trust

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 05:57:16 pm »
People buy for the following reasons:
1) They want to be non-conformist so they conform to Apple's minimalist image/the 'pop culture'
2) They (for some reason that is BEYOND me) think Microsoft is evil.  I mean sure they nearly have a monopoly, but that's just good ol' American business right there
3) They think (this is more for the libs) Apple is a more friendly company. I recall reading a story (I'll see if I can't find it in a bit) about Apple having horrible pollution and not cleaning it up
4) They don't realize that Apple rapes people on charges
5) They don't realize that Apple forces you to use their crap when PC's are MUCH more customizable
6) They don't care to learn linux

All in all, it's a hugely lame conforming society of "coolness."  College kids trying to be "in" and old people trying to look young.

What a horribly gross generalization. I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, and that definitely doesn't apply to me.

1) I'm not trying to be a non-comformist, nor conform to pop culture. I do love the minimalist design of Apple's computers, but that is available with PCs as well. (see this link about Intel's new notebook, which is the thinnest in the world.)

2) I highly doubt anybody but the most devoted of Apple/Linux fanboy's believe this. I love capitalism, and love that Microsoft gives back so much of their wealth to the community. I think they are a great business and definitely don't see them as evil. If I did I wouldn't have 3 PCs in addition to my Mac, or be running office on my Mac.

3) Well Apple does take a lot of initiatives to be more environmentally friendly (such as LED backlights, and other recycling programs (for instance you can send them hardware and they'll recycle it.)) Either way though I doubt environmental friendliness is really a deciding factor when consumers go computer shopping. I do get the impression that Apple is a more "straight forward"/honest company than other PC vendors, but that's just my personal perception and I really don't care how honest a company is if I still get a product I like for a price I like.

4) It is probably because they don't. My computer was $999 after the student discount, and it's a nice little machine. My total in the Apple store was $1403, and that included my laptop, a printer, an iPod nano, a USB cable for the printer (HP doesn't include the cable, wtf?), and a DVI to mini dvi converter to hook my monitor up to the laptop. $300 of that I will get back. Once you add in the price of the monitor I bought and the cost of upgrading the RAM (2gb of ram costs $80) when/if I do it, I'll still spend less than had I bought the recommended system from Dell with my school discount. The school offered two computers, one at a $1100 price point and one at a $1400 price point. The Macbook compares to the $1400 one iirc, especially after the RAM upgrade. But for that price I was able to also get an external monitor, webcam, printer, and iPod nano. I also didn't have to deal with a bunch of bundled trial software (I had trial versions of Office and iWork, but that's it and they weren't annoying or anything. iWork doesn't even show up on the dock natively, but office does. ), but instead I got a lot of useful programs out of the box (such as iLife, which is iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, iPhoto, iTunes, Garageband, and maybe a few others?), I got Frontrow (equivalent of Windows Media Center Edition, only I didn't have to buy a separate OS). Apple does get a lot of profit on some of their items (hundreds of percents on somethings, like I think that'll be their profit on iPhone) but they quickly and regularly have price cuts. They offer a lot of specials, and are friendly to students (I will get Leopard for half price when it comes out, for example...which will probably be around $60 bucks...compare that to the price of Windows.) There really is no argument for Apple being more expensive, sure you could get a cheaper Windows laptop but factor in build quality and part quality. As an example, my $500 Compaq laptop had case screws fall out after a couple of weeks. It was a decent laptop for what I used it for, but was clunky and poorly built. Plus Apple has GREAT customer service, if I have a question I can get it answered easily at the Apple store or with a phone call. Not only that but the two times I've needed to get parts from them (iPod) I had them VERY fast, the next day on the first occasion. Edit: I forgot to include you also get free personal in-store training and can attend a variety of classes for free.

5) You really aren't forced to use anything besides their Operating System (duh). Apple has great support for external peripherals so they don't even force hardware usage (see Mac Mini.) While it comes bundled with Apple software (useful software, mind you) that's only to be expected with an operating system...it's no different than Windows coming with IE or WMP. Like I said earlier, they don't even put the iWork trial on the dock to start with, instead they put MICROSOFT office on the dock. They definitely don't force you to use anything and there's plenty of third party software to use if you don't want to use whatever they've put in (and a lot of it is freeware.)

6) The majority of consumers don't know what Linux is so I doubt that is even a factor in their reasoning. But just for sake of debunking the statement, I've used Linux and ran it instead of Windows for a time. I've used Ubuntu, Slackware, and a couple other distros.

Please let me know of any other made up generalizations you have. I doubt I'll change your mind because you are obviously predeterminately closed minded about this, but whatever.

(just a BTW, I'm typing this on my PC so it's not like I'm some Mac head now or anything.)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:09:03 pm by Trust »

trust

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »
The second reason I have an iPod is because, at the time, it had the biggest share of the market so all of the accessories related to audio was developed for the iPod.  I did try an iRiver before I bought the iPod but after receiving 3PIECES OF SHIT I gave up and went mainstream :(

Right now, I'd like something different...not sure what though, don't really find anything too appealing.

The iPod is great, it does everything I need it to do and does it well. The only thing I want is WiFi for on-the-go purchasing, hopefully Apple answers with that in their next release. (Though I guess they are with the iPhone)

I had an iPod 4G which was good, and now I have a 30GB video which is nice and I keep full albums on it, and with my new purchase I have a Nano which I'm keeping only the songs I really listen to on (so maybe 2 or 3 from an album) for on-the-go and in-car (so I can successfully use shuffle without getting like an interlude or intro or something.)

Um, from what I've seen, and from my own opinion, I think people buy Apple hardware...because they like it. I bought an iPod not only because it plays music and is easily navigable, but it looks awesome, sleek, and shiny. Not many Apple consumers I know have really heard of Linux and aren't really partisan to Microsoft/Apple/Linux. I've seen that division mainly online. Also, laptops, regardless of type, aren't highly customizable, at least the ones I've seen, but Macbook Pros are great, and they do everything I could think of doing at school. They also have new LED screens, instead of the mercury? based screen that caused pollution previously. The only big thing that stopped me from getting one was the price, which I admit was pretty high for me.

I agree with my brotha from another mother. Apples are good looking and unique looking, which draws the initial curiosity when someone walks by the Apple store (which is ALWAYS full) Once they start messing with them they just get more interested. Apple products are just sexy, everything from the packaging to the product itself is done very well, and that's a huge selling point for them.

btw about LCD screens it's liquid crystaline: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtelevision/1whatinlcd.shtml
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:03:43 pm by Trust »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:16:13 pm »
Apple's are not overrated. I agree, I don't like the pop culture image they've made for themselves, but their machines are brilliantly stable and with the introduction of MacOS X, now have a very good software selection ALMOST comparable to Windows, not to mention it's BSD core allowing an advanced user to make use of most Linux software with minimal patching which other users have already most likely done. See the fink project.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:04 pm »
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/17/apple.fined.for.pollution/
That's what I can find right now for Apple's pollution.

I too want a media player with bluetooth capabilities so I can just set it in my car and play it (once I have a car with bluetooth)