Author Topic: True Random Number Generator  (Read 3490 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
True Random Number Generator
« on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:29 pm »
http://www.pressesc.com/01184778212_qrbgs

Ordinary random number generators found in most computers in use today are 'pseudo-random' numbers that use various algorithms to pick the numbers from large pre-compiled databases of numbers obtained by methods such as rolling the dice.

Anyone who has access to such a database from which the pseudo-random number is picked, can accurately predict the next number that comes out of such generators.

But, the 'Quantum Random Bit Generator' (QRBG121), which is the engine for QRBGS, is a fast non-deterministic random bit (number) generator whose randomness relies on intrinsic randomness of the quantum physical process of photonic emission in semiconductors and subsequent detection by photoelectric effect.
I found that to be pretty interesting.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: True Random Number Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:44:17 pm »
You can get reasonably true random numbers from your own computer, such as from /dev/random, but it's pretty slow. It combines several forms of unpredictable entropy (including keypresses, network activity, and other non-predictable factors) to generate non-deterministic numbers.

If you find it interesting, you should have a look at Michel Zalewski's book Silence on the Wire. There's a whole chapter on randomization.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 03:15:08 pm »
There were a few other articles I read a while ago which talked about generating random number from other things that are intrinsically random (results from particle accelerators and pulsars are the two that come to mind).

It's interesting, but all of these types of things (other than the types iago mentioned) require additional hardware which isn't at all practical (yet?).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 03:23:43 pm »
It's interesting, but all of these types of things (other than the types iago mentioned) require additional hardware which isn't at all practical (yet?).
Well, a lot of motherboards have a special unit for randomization, the Linux driver is called hw_random. It probably wouldn't be a huge step to add other types of randomness to it, such as radioactive decay (which, I'm told, is also truly random) (and also is perfectly safe in minute quantities).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 03:25:36 pm »
I'm not saying it's impossible.  It's just impractical at the moment, considering I don't think it's popular yet (probably making it a waste of money in most cases?). 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:10:47 pm »
But, the 'Quantum Random Bit Generator' (QRBG121), which is the engine for QRBGS, is a fast non-deterministic random bit (number) generator whose randomness relies on intrinsic randomness of the quantum physical process of photonic emission in semiconductors and subsequent detection by photoelectric effect.

The Windows cryptographic API (CAPI) uses this method, too.

(I know because I was researching the difference between System.Random and System.Security.Cryptography.RNGCryptoServiceProvider in .NET).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.