Author Topic: Post your schedule!  (Read 30838 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Post your schedule!
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
I wonder why our schedules seem so much more indepth, then.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2007, 06:21:55 pm »
I wonder why our schedules seem so much more indepth, then.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Hearing things from engineering friends isn't nearly as accurate as talking to the representative academic adviser.  Plus, Drexel is known for being a good engineering school.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2007, 08:55:18 pm »
My frehsman year was the last to have tDEC, and we aren't having the sophomore year of it.  Also, the Engineering college is swallowing up the mathematics department (originally not part of any college).

Also, I'm disgusted that Tom Fulp is a Drexel alumn :'(
But Fulp is balanced out by a couple astronauts, a Prime Minister of some African Country, and the guys that invented the bar code (also, there's something about a Playmate in there :P)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2007, 12:12:20 am »
I know that here for the meteorology program life is planned out for us for the whole 4 years. That said I know a lot of people who have been here >4 years and left with nothing to really show for it. So having it all planned out just means they've got the requirements refined to the point where you aren't left with much choice. All of our semesters are with >= 15 credit hours. And since Sidoh was asking about it for Craz3d, and I knows it the case here the core curriculum classes are built into the plan by the school. Its basically you can take these (1, 2, 3) classes, pick one so there isn't really a whole lot of choice or wiggle room.

That said, as meteorology majors we take a lot of engineering classes and the professors always seem to poke fun at us. Like in my Physics for Engineers class the instructor always rambles on about things that are way beyond us and follows up with a "Don't worry, you engineering students don't really need to know this, but the meteorology majors in the crowd will get to go on and solve much harder problems." It makes life fun.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2007, 03:21:06 am »
This is my almost complete schedule...and it sucks.

http://liquid-server.org/schedule092407.htm

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2007, 12:39:30 pm »
You have scheduled exam periods?  I do too, but they're not on my schedule because they don't happen every week.

After joining three clubs and taking on a work study, mine is pretty busy too.  Monday is the only day I don't have anything officially scheduled until after 5pm.  I'll probably need to clock a few hours for the work study, though. :-\

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2007, 02:23:13 pm »
I think I'm going to have to quit my job and get a new one somewhere on campus.  Those hours between classes could be used for something good, and I'm not lugging around my textbooks all day.

And yeah, we have scheduled exam periods.  There usually aren't any exams, but when there are they are in those slots, which is balls, because it takes over an hour to get to campus :\

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2007, 09:15:59 pm »
My Junior year schedule!

1. AP World History (HARD AS HELL. OMFG.)
2. Points of View Literature
3. Spanish 3
4. AP Computers
5. Business Law (Total blowoff)
6. Algebra 2
7. Physics

The only classes that change next SEMESTER is Business Law to AP American Government and Points of View to Multicultural Literature.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:18:51 pm by skip »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:44 pm »
Algebra 2?  What's wrong with schools these days?  It used to go Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calc/Trig, Calc, Advanced/AP Calc.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2007, 09:51:01 pm »
Algebra 2?  What's wrong with schools these days?  It used to go Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calc/Trig, Calc, Advanced/AP Calc.

Algebra II is a sophomore class for us.

7thgrade = prealgebra
8thgrade = algebra 1
9th grade = geometry
10th grade = algebra 2
11th grade = pre-calculus/trig
12th grade = ap calculus ab
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:04 pm »
I failed Math twice.

Haha, just kidding.

It all works out in the end, we have pre-calculus 12th grade, like most schools. Our trigonometry class is stuck together with our geometry and algebra 2 class.

8th = pre-algebra
9th = algebra 1
10th = geometry/trig
11th = algebra 2/trig
12th = precalc or ap calc

And btw, I meant next semester for my post above  :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2007, 11:31:05 pm »
If you plan to go into a field of study that requires any type of higher math (liberal arts are really the only thing that don't, I think), I think you'd be crazy to not take Calculus while in high school, even if it's not AP.  My school didn't offer any AP courses, but I still took Calculus.  I had to take it again when I got to college, but I've gotten As in both Calc 1 and 2 and I got a 100% on my first Calculus 3 exam.  Now, I can't attribute all of that to taking it in high school, but it certainly helped.

I also didn't much like math until I took it.  I wasn't one of those people that walked around saying I hated math and I did reasonably well in all of the courses (As and Bs), but once I got to Calculus, it was like a new world opened up for me.  It could have been because the teacher was phenomenal, but after that, I just really started to like maths.

So yeah, in short, if you're not already planning to, I definitely recommend that you take Calc in high school.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 02:00:52 pm »
My highschool offered AB and BC calculus; I took AB. My school has a policy where you don't need to have taken the AP test, and you can just skip directly in to Calculus 3; if you pass the class, you get credit for 1, 2, and 3. I never took the Calculus AP test, since my school didn't give credit for it, so I instead simply skipped in to Calculus 3. On the third day of class, the professor drew a right triangle inside of a circle such that the hypotenuse extended from the circles origin (0,0) to its circumference, and the legs were parallel to the axes. The professor asked for the function to get the Y value of the point on the circle's circumference given its X value. Simple; Pythagorean's theorem. I quickly did the math in my head:
A^2 + B^2 = C^2
X^2 + Y^2 = R^2
Y(X) = (+/-)Sqrt(R^2 - X^2)

I raised my hand, and gave the answer. The entire class turned around and stared at me like I had two heads. To this day, three years later, there are at least two people still telling the story as if it was some ridiculously hard problem that only a genius could have solved.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 02:57:10 pm »
lol

People are stupid. I find that most of the people in my calc 2 class probably shouldn't have passed calc 1.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 03:10:16 pm »
My highschool offered AB and BC calculus; I took AB. My school has a policy where you don't need to have taken the AP test, and you can just skip directly in to Calculus 3; if you pass the class, you get credit for 1, 2, and 3. I never took the Calculus AP test, since my school didn't give credit for it, so I instead simply skipped in to Calculus 3. On the third day of class, the professor drew a right triangle inside of a circle such that the hypotenuse extended from the circles origin (0,0) to its circumference, and the legs were parallel to the axes. The professor asked for the function to get the Y value of the point on the circle's circumference given its X value. Simple; Pythagorean's theorem. I quickly did the math in my head:
A^2 + B^2 = C^2
X^2 + Y^2 = R^2
Y(X) = (+/-)Sqrt(R^2 - X^2)

I raised my hand, and gave the answer. The entire class turned around and stared at me like I had two heads. To this day, three years later, there are at least two people still telling the story as if it was some ridiculously hard problem that only a genius could have solved.

The class I had in high school was pretty slow-paced.  The teacher never wanted to leave anyone behind, so it left the more mathematically adept people to their own devices (and I was the typical lazy high schooler back then. :().  I probably would have done fine jumping right into Calc 2, but we never got to series, improper integrals, etc, so I would have missed out on all that if I'd gone right into Calc 3.  Plus, the coordinator for Calc 2 was way better than the one for 3.  We had labs with Maple instead of paper and pencil, lol.

lol at the circle story...