Author Topic: Psychology question?  (Read 8007 times)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
Psychology question?
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:46:56 pm »
From a neurobiological stand point. What would you tell a Alcoholic on how to stop his/her addiction?
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Psychology question?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:57:06 pm »
Nothing. Something has to happen to cause them to come to the realization that they have a problem. Until they can admit (and believe) that they have a problem, they aren't going to do anything.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:25 pm »
There really isn't an absolute way to approach this question since people have different motives for drinking to begin with.  You'd probably have more of an impact by gathering people who are close to the person, and having them express themselves and how they feel about that person's addiction.  That includes describing character changes that the person undergoes when intoxicated.  Sigh, support group, yay...

In terms of actions, if the person dismisses everything by saying, "I don't remember any of it," you could respond with, "but we do..."

To be realistic though, there are people who will blatantly disregard any concern from others, and as sorry as I am to say it, those people will have to find out the hard way, i.e., alcohol poisoning, liver failure, etc.

The latter is the case with a friend of mine despite everyone's unrelenting efforts, but I guess not giving up is key.

I don't know if this'll help much...
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:22:44 pm »
If Pamela Anderson said she'd do a man if he quit drinking for a few months, I bet he'd quit drinking for a few months. After that, it's a matter of not starting again, which is certainly non-trivial, but at least the quitting is out of the way :P

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:29:03 pm »
Its a essay I have to write for my Pyschology class. Their are 6 main approaches in psychology

Neurobiologyical
Psychoanalytic  
Behvaorial
Humanistic
Cognitive
Sociocultural

I got chosen to be the Neurobiologics. The question if a Alcholoic approached you and asked how do I beat my addiction From what I researched a Neurobiologics  would approach it as a Mental issue dealing with the nervous system of the brain and such. I could tell you the other 6 but that would take awhile. I just have no clue how to answer this question through the eyes of a Neurobiologics. Since personally I think if you do become an alcholoic you have some past experiences or emotional problemes which would be the Humanistic and Behvaorial.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:50:34 pm »
If Pamela Anderson said she'd do a man if he quit drinking for a few months, I bet he'd quit drinking for a few months. After that, it's a matter of not starting again, which is certainly non-trivial, but at least the quitting is out of the way :P
I wouldn't.  Pam Anderson is ugly as fuck.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:15 pm »
:o :o :o :o :o :o
I would SOOOOOO hit that.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:57:30 pm »
:o :o :o :o :o :o
I would SOOOOOO hit that.

Srsly. I swear deadly7 is gay sometimes.

To be realistic though, there are people who will blatantly disregard any concern from others, and as sorry as I am to say it, those people will have to find out the hard way, i.e., alcohol poisoning, liver failure, etc.

You know, putting a bullet in an alcoholic's head ends his alcoholism. And his life. That's just a nasty side effect.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:10:45 pm »
Large, super-fake breasts do not an attractive girl make.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:14:42 pm »
Its a essay I have to write for my Pyschology class. Their are 6 main approaches in psychology

Neurobiologyical
Psychoanalytic
Behvaorial
Humanistic
Cognitive
Sociocultural

I got chosen to be the Neurobiologics. The question if a Alcholoic approached you and asked how do I beat my addiction From what I researched a Neurobiologics would approach it as a Mental issue dealing with the nervous system of the brain and such. I could tell you the other 6 but that would take awhile. I just have no clue how to answer this question through the eyes of a Neurobiologics. Since personally I think if you do become an alcholoic you have some past experiences or emotional problemes which would be the Humanistic and Behvaorial.

Have you tried reading scholarly articles?  I did a search using the University of Washington's library database with just "neurobiology" and "alcohol" as the two key words, and plenty of articles came up.  Does your school have a research database that you could use, or something similar?  At this point, gathering necessary (and relevant) information should be your objective since you seem a bit lost.

Also, email your instructor with questions regarding the essay's content, then try to throw together a small little outline with the information you get.  From there, you just elaborate on each point and deliver.

You know, putting a bullet in an alcoholic's head ends his alcoholism. And his life. That's just a nasty side effect.

You consider dying a side effect? lol :P
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:25:06 pm »
Its a essay I have to write for my Pyschology class. There are 6 main approaches in psychology

Neurobiologyical
Psychoanalytic
Behvaorial
Humanistic
Cognitive
Sociocultural

I got chosen to be the Neurobiologics. The question if a Alcholoic approached you and asked how do I beat my addiction From what I researched a Neurobiologics would approach it as a Mental issue dealing with the nervous system of the brain and such. I could tell you the other 6 but that would take awhile. I just have no clue how to answer this question through the eyes of a Neurobiologics. Since personally I think if you do become an alcholoic you have some past experiences or emotional problemes which would be the Humanistic and Behvaorial.

Have you tried reading scholarly articles?  I did a search using the University of Washington's library database with just "neurobiology" and "alcohol" as the two key words, and plenty of articles came up.  Does your school have a research database that you could use, or something similar?  At this point, gathering necessary (and relevant) information should be your objective since you seem a bit lost.

Also, email your instructor with questions regarding the essay's content, then try to throw together a small little outline with the information you get.  From there, you just elaborate on each point and deliver.

I go to a Public high school in the budget cut capital of the United States. I doubt we have a database. I could just use google but thought you guys would have been more help then....

=p

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:27:25 pm by ZeroX »
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 05:40:37 pm »
Its a essay I have to write for my Pyschology class. There are 6 main approaches in psychology

Neurobiologyical
Psychoanalytic
Behvaorial
Humanistic
Cognitive
Sociocultural

Have you tried reading scholarly articles? I did a search using the University of Washington's library database with just "neurobiology" and "alcohol" as the two key words, and plenty of articles came up. Does your school have a research database that you could use, or something similar? At this point, gathering necessary (and relevant) information should be your objective since you seem a bit lost.

Also, email your instructor with questions regarding the essay's content, then try to throw together a small little outline with the information you get. From there, you just elaborate on each point and deliver.

I go to a Public high school in the budget cut capital of the United States. I doubt we have a database. I could just use google but thought you guys would have been more help then....

Ah, I see.

Well, look up CT scans of brain abnormalities incurred from excessive alcohol consumption, explain about each portion of the brain's function (that's affected), and then elaborate further on how it becomes impaired during alcohol consumption.

Don't forget to include short-term as well as long-term effects.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 06:56:19 pm »

Yeah, but they make for some fun toys during sex.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
I'll worry about that when I'm in such a position.. until then, I don't really give a shit.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 11:08:46 pm »

Sex with Pamela Anderson must be like throwing a hotdog in a long, dark hallway.

No thanks.