Author Topic: [Geometry] Draw a square  (Read 13843 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: [Geometry] Draw a square
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 10:58:50 pm »
I meant changing the width of the compass, ie: not closing etc...

Anyway, here is a slightly different answer, animated so you losers can see what's going on.  As said before, the center of each circle is known because of the hole in the paper:

The red lines are a little off because of Photoshop's weird snapping rules, and I didn't feel like screwing with them.  Live with it.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 11:02:07 pm »
How do you find a line perpendicular to the first one you drew?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:43 pm »
By turning the strait edge and erasing when I made a mistake.  You can't see it (since it's Photoshop), but there are a bunch of erased lines.  Also, if you do make a mistake, you won't get a square in the end (the top right corner won't be a....corner), so you know you messed up and can go fix it.  You all seem to have a thing against erasers.  Get over it.

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 11:29:04 pm »
I mean in the circle.  When you make a circle, how do you find a diameter perpendicular to the first one you drew?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:45 pm »
By turning the strait edge and erasing when I made a mistake.  You can't see it (since it's Photoshop), but there are a bunch of erased lines.  Also, if you do make a mistake, you won't get a square in the end (the top right corner won't be a....corner), so you know you messed up and can go fix it.  You all seem to have a thing against erasers.  Get over it.

The problem with that is, you can draw a whole square like that. Draw a straight line, |. Then draw a perpendicular line to it, erasing and fixing it until it's exactly perpendicular. Draw it: |-. Draw a diagonal between the right of the second line and bottom of the first. Draw a perpendicular to that, which forms an "X" between the two lines. Then draw the other two lines as perpendiculars (erasing till they're right) such that they meet at the bottom-right leg of the X. Done, a perfect square with only a ruler.

The idea behind these questions, however, is to find a flawless solution that will guarantee a perfect square with reasonable accuracy, not one that looks to the naked eye like one.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »
I think a better way of explaining it is to say that the square is anchored to the points. If you were to drag the points around, the square would still be a square.

So, pentagon anyone?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:12:54 am by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!