Author Topic: All-nighter  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Ender

• View Profile
All-nighter
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:23 am »
Pulled an all-nighter, T>T. Writing up homework in LaTeX takes sooo long... =(

And now I have to lead the discussion in my sociology class, on no sleep and a small coffee.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: All-nighter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:54:36 am »
Sounds like a fun day.  ;)

Good luck on the discussion!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:57:17 am »
Pulled an all-nighter, T>T. Writing up homework in LaTeX takes sooo long... =(

Tell me about it.  I spent seven hours doing an assignment that would have probably taken me two hours if I hadn't done it in LaTeX.  It was quite beautiful, though. :)

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:57:26 pm »
I was listening to a podcast the other day about an FSF lawyer who wrote all of his legal papers in LaTeX.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:01:56 pm »
I was listening to a podcast the other day about an FSF lawyer who wrote all of his legal papers in LaTeX.

Hahaha, that's pretty awesome.

Have either of you used LyX?  My TA told me that I should use it after he asked my friend and I if we'd done the LaTeX by hand.

I'd have an easier time using stuff like that if my motherboard didn't almost completely bork (©, iago.  2002-2007) every distribution of Linux I've tried.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:48:51 pm »
I'd have an easier time using stuff like that if my motherboard didn't almost completely bork (©, iago.  2002-2007) every distribution of Linux I've tried.
Hey, you don't have to credit me for a copyright, I already released it as public domain. :P

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 04:14:47 am »
Hey, you don't have to credit me for a copyright, I already released it as public domain. :P

This made me laugh.  First at the copyright, then on what you said. 
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 11:26:36 pm »
So I went 36 hours without sleep and, IIRC, two days without lunch. I got home late yesterday night from a math problem session. At around ~10pm I went to the bathroom
and found myself really dizzy, feeling like I was going to fall over. So I decided to hit the sack early, ~11, and got up at 5am to do a math write-up. The pain of all of this was worth it though; I got a good grade on my physics problem set =)

@Sidoh: I've never used LyX but I think I heard it mentioned the other day as an alternative. I can't imagine it saving much time over LaTeX. Also, LaTeX is definitely more widely used and standard, so I think LaTeX would be the better investment. I may start using shortcuts to try to save on time, such as defining commands and looking into the features that my front-ends have to offer.

You may already have these and know about them, but for LaTeX on Windows I recommend MikTeX for the compiler and TeXnicCenter for the front-end. I've used these on my Windows partition and haven't been disapointed. Also, I don't think linux gives a better LaTeX experience than Windows, so long as you have an adequate compiler/front-end.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 11:42:08 pm »
LyX is just a WYSIWIG editor for LaTeX.

I've used a variety of front ends on Windows, but I still prefer gvim on Linux.  It's easy enough with Cygwin+X and putty. :)

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 12:18:01 am »
Oh, I see, cool. I may look into LyX.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 07:10:16 am »
anything you can do i can do. :P Actually, I was doing a cheat sheet for stats and was like "OMFG I WISH I HAD LYX RIGHT NOW"... writing down equations in OOo Math, exporting them as a PDF, screen capturing them, and then pasting them in Word. Sooo frustrating. :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 08:49:45 am »
anything you can do i can do. :P Actually, I was doing a cheat sheet for stats and was like "OMFG I WISH I HAD LYX RIGHT NOW"... writing down equations in OOo Math, exporting them as a PDF, screen capturing them, and then pasting them in Word. Sooo frustrating. :P
Is there some non-insane reason that you didn't just use OOo writer, then insert the formula?

Also, why export them as a PDF then screen capture, why not just screen capture out of OOo math?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:54:27 pm »
Is there some non-insane reason that you didn't just use OOo writer, then insert the formula?

Also, why export them as a PDF then screen capture, why not just screen capture out of OOo math?
I don't like OOo writer.  :P

Haha. I have no idea. It just makes more sense to me when I export then screen capture. And probably because I don't like PrntScrn and then copying the relevant parts.. Plus, I usually e-mail myself the PDFs to print later on, but I have no access to free printing, and my printer blows at printing off equations made by OOo. :|
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine