Author Topic: The post your picture thread.  (Read 411819 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: The post your picture thread.
« Reply #975 on: August 20, 2008, 11:44:45 am »
Herpetology was my first love, and will always be... I would have been a herpetologist if there was any money in it =\.
Shouldn't let money be the deciding factor, IMO. People should do what they love.

(damn money!)

I agree, but I think it would be foolish to completely disregard the money, generally.  Doing what you love is awesome, but living a cushy life that allows for you to do what you love on your own time on your own terms is great too.
I spend 1/3 of my life at work (on weekdays, at least). I'd hate to be doing something I didn't like, even if I made a lot of money doing it.

That's just me, though. It reminds me of an old game whose name I forget, where you had to rank fame, fortune, and happiness at the beginning, and you won when you passed your goal of each.

You have to realize, though, that if you're making a lot more money and you're smart with your earnings, you can retire a lot earlier.  Effectively, you could end up spending a lot less of your life working than someone who's working a job that pays less.

Like I said, I don't think it should be the only consideration, but I do think it's silly not to consider it.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #976 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:36 pm »
Herpetology was my first love, and will always be... I would have been a herpetologist if there was any money in it =\.
Shouldn't let money be the deciding factor, IMO. People should do what they love.

(damn money!)

I agree, but I think it would be foolish to completely disregard the money, generally.  Doing what you love is awesome, but living a cushy life that allows for you to do what you love on your own time on your own terms is great too.
I spend 1/3 of my life at work (on weekdays, at least). I'd hate to be doing something I didn't like, even if I made a lot of money doing it.

That's just me, though. It reminds me of an old game whose name I forget, where you had to rank fame, fortune, and happiness at the beginning, and you won when you passed your goal of each.

You have to realize, though, that if you're making a lot more money and you're smart with your earnings, you can retire a lot earlier.  Effectively, you could end up spending a lot less of your life working than someone who's working a job that pays less.

Like I said, I don't think it should be the only consideration, but I do think it's silly not to consider it.

But in iago's example, the job is what the person loves to do, thus eliminating the desire to retire.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #977 on: August 20, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »

(damn money!)

But in iago's example, the job is what the person loves to do, thus eliminating the desire to retire.

Even in a job where you're doing what you love, you'll be forced to do things you hate occasionally.  Sit in meetings, work on a dead-end project, get stuck with the resident dumbass, etc.  If you're not working, you can do what you love when you want, and on your own terms.  Seems like a much better deal to me. 

Regardless, I'm not saying you should take a job that pays $10k/year more than another option that seems more attractive.  I'm saying it's something that should definitely be considered.  It's a matter of priority and personal preference.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #978 on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:53 pm »
It's a matter of priority and personal preference.

/signed

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #979 on: August 20, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »
the job is what the person loves to do, thus eliminating the desire to retire.
This assumes there's only one thing a person could want to do.  I know I'm happy with my current career and would continue to be happy doing it for another 30 years.  That doesn't mean I'd rather do it than travel the world or pick and choose my hours working on personal research projects only or (theoretically) spending most of the day with my grandchildren (I chose these 3 because they are popular reasons to retire).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #980 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:48 pm »
This assumes there's only one thing a person could want to do.  I know I'm happy with my current career and would continue to be happy doing it for another 30 years.  That doesn't mean I'd rather do it than travel the world or pick and choose my hours working on personal research projects only or (theoretically) spending most of the day with my grandchildren (I chose these 3 because they are popular reasons to retire).
Spending time with your grandchildren is a popular reason to retire? ;)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 21, 2008, 12:27:42 am »
http://www.vaydenband.com/armin/me_bruce.jpg
Me (left) with my new facial hair. Rubbing Rogaine on my face all these years finally paid off!

It's like you two are a cute set of twins. How gay.
Except for the different hair color, different eye color, different skin tone, different height, different build, different age, and different hair style. But I guess hair length and facial hair length trumps all of that?
Yes, those do.

I jest, fyi.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 21, 2008, 11:40:23 am »
Well, while CS is my second love, I don't feel I'm settling for something of lesser value.  After all, if I did become an herpetologist, I'd love my job likely- but finding one and keeping one would be much harder I'd assume.  With CS, I'd love my job, and finding one and keeping it wouldn't be as hard.  Plus I'd likely make much better pay.  I'm not losing much.  The key difference between my "first" and "second" love is the order in which I discovered my love for them.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #983 on: August 21, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »
Spending time with your grandchildren is a popular reason to retire? ;)

My grandchildren will be pretty damn popular.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 24, 2008, 06:05:37 pm »

Indeed.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 24, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »

Indeed.

With a body like that, I can see why you feel the need to have weapons

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #986 on: August 24, 2008, 08:21:49 pm »
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 24, 2008, 09:00:12 pm »

Indeed.

With a body like that, I can see why you feel the need to have weapons

srsly.  I'm damn thin.  And I havent been able to build.  I'm a lot stronger than I used to be, but no bigger.  *shrug* @ the gym

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 25, 2008, 12:34:40 am »

I'm curious to know why you wanted to copy his picture. ::)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:25 am »
I'm curious to know how you missed his joke. ::)
Hitmen: art is gay