Author Topic: iMac (G3 heap of crap) PPC Ubuntu  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
iMac (G3 heap of crap) PPC Ubuntu
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:19 pm »
Hey. A friend of mine bought an iMac from good will for $50, took it home, then phoned me to ask what was up with it. I went over and saw it was running Debian (not sure what specific ver.) I fiddled with it, only to find X wouldn't work, so I popped in my Ubuntu disc (5.10 PPC) and tried that. It installed correctally, and loads the OS fine, but X still wont load. It just goes to a black screen. What should I do? My thoughts were check the version of X, and see if I could get an older one, perhaps the video card wont handel this version.

I'm not an expert, well, I'm more so a novice, so I came to the people that know ever thing; X86 (hopefully PPC is well known here, too!)

What should I do, any tips, or tricks to find more information so I can be more specific?

Thanks, Guys. (Girls, too. If Ergot's gotten that opperation.)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: iMac (G3 heap of crap) PPC Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:39:47 pm »
Check what error x is giving you. xorgconf or modify xorg.conf as appropriate.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:01:45 pm »
Check what error x is giving you.
That can be done by looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:21:03 am »
Hey. A friend of mine bought an iMac from good will for $50, took it home, then phoned me to ask what was up with it. I went over and saw it was running Debian (not sure what specific ver.) I fiddled with it, only to find X wouldn't work, so I popped in my Ubuntu disc (5.10 PPC) and tried that. It installed correctally, and loads the OS fine, but X still wont load. It just goes to a black screen. What should I do? My thoughts were check the version of X, and see if I could get an older one, perhaps the video card wont handel this version.

I'm not an expert, well, I'm more so a novice, so I came to the people that know ever thing; X86 (hopefully PPC is well known here, too!)

What should I do, any tips, or tricks to find more information so I can be more specific?

Thanks, Guys. (Girls, too. If Ergot's gotten that opperation.)

I don't know PPC but I can tell you that my G3 iMac runs Ubuntu just fine. It might be something specific to your box. Try getting your hands on an Apple diagnostic CD.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:17:46 pm »
In my experience, Linux, FreeBSD, and even NetBSD don't do so well on PowerPC.  While I am not a fan of OpenBSD, it is the only one that ran extremely well on PowerPC.  All the ports all compile and run properly...X runs properly...everything works well.  There are a few gotchas but overall, you won't notice them. 
If you're curious, I installed and configured OpenBSD on an iMac G4.

NOTE:  I do NOT recommend OpenBSD for the faint of heart. 
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:57:08 pm »
OpenBSD's a megabitch.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.