Author Topic: Ever hit a moose?  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Ever hit a moose?
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:26:14 am »
So, I rode home with my mom last weekend.  My mom likes to drive through Cameron Pass, which is this narrow, windy road (it's very scenic and quiet, though), so we went through there.  While I was sleeping, a moose got onto the road fast enough to where my mom didn't see it to slow down in time.  We hit it going around 35, which was lucky, as it would have been much more catastrophic if we'd been going much faster.

I don't know how many people here are familiar with Moose, but the things are huge.  The one we hit was probably a yearling, but it was still very big.  Probably bigger than a large horse (and heavier).

http://sidoh.dark-wire.net/upload/files/7P9SCHZGGS-426469a3f71b8f11.jpg

As you can see, it crinkled up the hood pretty well and bent some of the internals (I'm no engine-savvy person, so I have no idea what actually got hurt).  No further damage as far as we could see, though.  The airbags didn't even deploy, which was nice, but it was still a pretty interesting encounter.

As a funny-ish side story, after hitting it, we drove a few miles up the road to find a place where we could use a phone.  We came across some retired people that ran some guest cabins that let us use their phone.  After we called the sheriff, he was showing us some pictures of moose he had on his computer.  After a few cycled through, a younger looking one popped up and he said "Yep... there's the one you probably hit right there."  lol.

As a less funny side story, my sister remarked after we told her about the deputy going off to find and put down the moose: "I hit the moose, but I did not shoot the deputy."

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Ever hit a moose?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:49 am »
What happened to the moose? mmm moose...
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:42:04 am »
What happened to the moose? mmm moose...

Haha.  I guess I should have mentioned that.

It laid on the ground for about a minute after we hit it.  After that, it got up, but was lifting up one of its legs as if it was broken.  After a few minutes, though, it managed to limp off of the side of the road.  The Department of Wildlife people and the Sheriff's deputy were unable to find it after they found us (which was ~10 - 15 minutes after we hit it).

Offline CetniK

• There is an abundance of penises here.
    • View Profile
    • CetniK Webs
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:52:38 am »
Let's barbecue that thing!

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:54:54 am »
Let's barbecue that thing!
I'm glad you see things my way. :)
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:34:14 am »
Poor moose. :(

Oh, and poor car. I hope your insurance covers moose accidents. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:42:29 am »
wow everyone on x86 is having a bad stroke of luck.
I feel bad for the moose. but i have noticed that running over a moose and then running over a squirrel have 2 different reactions. while i was on the freeway the other day there was a deer that was hit and everyone slowed down to look at it. but when i was on a road and there was a squirrel that was hit everyone just passed over it like it was nothing. but hope everyone is ok

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:03:16 am »
surprised it wasnt worse

yay for not geing hurt

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:00:01 am »
Poor moose. :(

Oh, and poor car. I hope your insurance covers moose accidents. :)

Haha.  They do.  These sorts of things are pretty common in Colorado -- not moose particularly, but hitting animals on the road.  My dad has hit 11 deer in the past five years (he commutes about an hour to work every morning).

wow everyone on x86 is having a bad stroke of luck.
I feel bad for the moose. but i have noticed that running over a moose and then running over a squirrel have 2 different reactions. while i was on the freeway the other day there was a deer that was hit and everyone slowed down to look at it. but when i was on a road and there was a squirrel that was hit everyone just passed over it like it was nothing. but hope everyone is ok

Haha, well, that sucked, but everything else is going pretty well. :)

That's crazy.  Pulling those kinds of stunts on the freeway is dangerous (Slowing down or stopping to stare at a dead deer)!  The highways here have a dead animal on the side of the road something like every five miles, I'd guess.

Last time we took the same road we hit the moose on, we hit a fawn (baby deer).  It was a lot busier, though, and the people in front of us looked shocked (like we should have tried to avoid it).  lol, if we would have braked, the three cars behind us would have slammed into us.  If we would have swerved, we would have fell into the river and taken everyone along with us!

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:02:22 am »
Atleast it wasn't an Elephant... damn elephants are always in the way.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline CetniK

• There is an abundance of penises here.
    • View Profile
    • CetniK Webs
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:59 pm »
Wtf, guys?  You're all bad luck.  Stay away from me.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 01:08:53 pm »
Ouch.

Offline Lobo

• x86
  • Ho Ho Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:19 pm »
dude....you hit a moose. Sidoh! what would peta say about this....

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 11:42:24 pm »
You're lucky it was small. I've seen large trucks totelled after hitting moose before.

I wonder how a "stupid smart car" would stand up to a moose...
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 11:43:55 pm »
You're lucky it was small. I've seen large trucks totelled after hitting moose before.

I wonder how a "stupid smart car" would stand up to a moose...

Duh!  I live in Colorado.  I've seen plenty of nasty accidents from collisions with animals.  Like I said, my dad has hit 11 deer over the last five or six years.