Author Topic: Question on Integrals  (Read 9463 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Integrals
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 07:28:49 am »

Also, note, contrary to Rabbit's post, [tex]f(x)\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \ne \frac{d^2f(x)}{dx^2}[/tex]

Also, note, I didn't say that.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 11:51:04 am »
[tex]f^{{\prime}{\prime}}(x) = f(x)\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

Where I assume, f''(x) means the second derivative of f with respect to x?
f''(x)=[tex]\frac{d^2f(x)}{dx^2}[/tex]

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 12:37:06 pm »
a) The dot goes above the function's name, not next to it.
b) I've never heard of \dot notation used for anything other than integration, or for letters of a couple of foreign languages.

[tex]f^{{\prime}{\prime}}(x) = f(x)\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

Where I assume, f''(x) means the second derivative of f with respect to x?
f''(x)=[tex]\frac{d^2f(x)}{dx^2}[/tex]

It's easier to understand why this is true, but why rabbit's statement is not, if you think of [tex]\displaystyle\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex] as a function of its own, as in:

[tex]\displaystyle f^{\prime\prime}(x) = \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[f(x)][/tex]

However, since the statement [tex]\displaystyle\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex] is indeed a quotient - be it shorthand for a more complex division than it appears to be - it's legal to put the target function on the numerator.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:43:19 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 10:56:27 pm »
a) The dot goes above the function's name, not next to it.
b) I've never heard of \dot notation used for anything other than integration, or for letters of a couple of foreign languages.

I've never seen it used for integration, but it is almost always used, especially in physics and in differential equations, to mean a derivative -- usually the time derivative.  It's not like you did anything wrong, you just deviated from well-established conventions; if you use the dot notation to mean integration, there will likely be some confusion.  See here.

I was being lazy in my notation, but I was referring to the way you used dot, e.g. above the function.

I don't think of d/dx (by itself) so much as quotient as it is a linear operator.
e.g.
[g(x) * d/dx ]*f(x) = g(x)*df/dx != [d/dx*g(x)]*f(x) = dg/dx*f(x)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:59:03 pm by Rule »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 07:18:02 pm »
The [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] notation doesn't really fit snugly in to any mathematical concept established before calculus, but if you look at the definition of it:

[tex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}[f(x)] := \lim_{dx\to0}\frac{f(x+dx)-f(x)}{dx}[/tex] you can plainly see that is is a quotient. Example:

[tex]\displaystyle f^\prime(x) = \frac{df}{dx}[/tex] where [tex]df[/tex] is the "rate of change in f" at value x, and [tex]dx[/tex] is the infinitesimal rate of change in x.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:19:44 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 10:59:05 pm »
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] is just an operator in the same way a matrix is an operator.

It is a non-commutative linear operator:
d/dx (af + bg) = a*df/dx + b*dg/dx
d/dx(f) != f*(d/dx),
where a and b are constants, f and g are functions of x.

It operates on a function in such a way that its output is the limit of a quotient.

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 08:41:19 pm »
Camel, you are saying that d/dx is a quotient because df/dx is a quotient. But d/dx =/= df/dx. In fact, it doesn't make sense, since d/dx is an operator, and df/dx is not.

It's like saying the division operator '/' is a quotient because a/b is a quotient.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:57 pm »
Camel, you are saying that d/dx is a quotient because df/dx is a quotient. But d/dx =/= df/dx. In fact, it doesn't make sense, since d/dx is an operator, and df/dx is not.

It's like saying the division operator '/' is a quotient because a/b is a quotient.

I never said [tex]\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{df}{dx}[/tex], I said [tex]\displaystyle\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}[f(x)][/tex]

"[tex]\display\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]" is not an operator per se; it is incomplete, but is still a quotient. Just because it operates on a function does not make it a function its self, although it's reasonable to think of it as one - I defined it above the way one would define a function. Saying "[tex]\display\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]" is the same as saying "the change in [what is to follow] as x changes."

[edit] tex
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:00:37 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 12:21:44 pm »

I never said [tex]\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{df}{dx}[/tex], I said [tex]\displaystyle\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}[f(x)][/tex]

"[tex]\display\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]" is not an operator per se; it is incomplete, but is still a quotient. Just because it operates on a function does not make it a function its self, although it's reasonable to think of it as one - I defined it above the way one would define a function. Saying "[tex]\display\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]" is the same as saying "the change in [what is to follow] as x changes."

[edit] tex

An operator, in functional analysis, loosely speaking, is a function that maps functions to functions (a function that accepts a function, and outputs a function).  The derivative is an operator since it maps functions to functions.  The Calculus 1 definition of the derivative is a beginner's view of the derivative.  When you take a course like numerical PDE, you will see that a derivative can be expressed as a matrix which is pretty damn cool (a matrix can be an operator!).  In math, there are often many interpretations of a single problem...who would think a derivative could be thought of as a matrix?  In my experience, math is learned in coats of paint...Calculus is one of the very first coats.  As you get higher in math, you realize how little you know...and actually, you learn how little is known about math in general.  Just as an example, computational fluid dynamics uses linear approximations to solve the Navier-Stokes equation, which is non-linear...we still work with the linear in this day and age!

You should try to listen to Rule, he's one hell of a mathematician (and yes, he's a REAL mathematician)...he's much better than I am anyways.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 12:54:47 pm »
My mistake: I was thinking in terms of procedural programming, where you must resolve the state of a function before it can be passed to another function, and an "operator" is a special sub-set of a function.

Also, with a deep understanding of matrices, the analogy isn't exactly a big leap of faith. I recall one particular problem in my AP Calculus class in highschool that I solved using matrices. I didn't get credit for the problem because my teacher didn't learn how to do that until after he got his masters degree -- at least, that's what he said when I asked him why I didn't get credit for a correct answer.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!