Author Topic: New "treatment" for depression  (Read 6121 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
New "treatment" for depression
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:51:09 am »
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/7fe10fb25fef4110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

I want to read it so I am posting it here, but it does sound interesting so if you enjoy science I encourage you to read it!

~~ Off to class!
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: New "treatment" for depression
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:29:49 pm »
thats cool that they can do that.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »
Our understanding of the brain and neurochemistry makes it unwise, even foolish, to attempt treatments like this. There are many drugs used to treat depression, and all of them have nasty side effects. If it can't achieve it with chemicals without side effects, is it reasonable to try it with dangerous new techniques?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:08:51 pm »
Our understanding of the brain and neurochemistry makes it unwise, even foolish, to attempt treatments like this. There are many drugs used to treat depression, and all of them have nasty side effects. If it can't achieve it with chemicals without side effects, is it reasonable to try it with dangerous new techniques?

Are you referring to SSRI drugs?  Which drugs, and what "nasty side effects" are you referring to?  I wouldn't claim that all drugs used to treat depression have "nasty side effects".

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:19:07 pm »
SSRIs, tricyclics, venlafaxine, nefazodone, bupropion. The first two are a type of antidepressants, which are associated with side effects like nausea, insomnia, migraines, and sexual problems. Common side effects of tricyclics include blurred vision, problems peeing, constipation, and impaired thinking and tiredness. I misspoke when I said that all drugs used to treat depression have nasty side effects, but a great many of them do.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:47 pm »
I believe they do something similar to this with some other disorder, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called!!!!!!! >< (I think it has something to do with the heart?)
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:06 pm »
I know several people who have used SSRIs for over 7 years now, and they haven't complained of any side effects.   

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:22:38 pm »
I remember seeing a commercial for a treatment for depression that could cause erectile dysfunction. I can hardly see that making somebody less depressed. :D

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
I remember seeing a commercial for a treatment for depression that could cause erectile dysfunction. I can hardly see that making somebody less depressed. :D
Lmao, that is awesome.
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus