Author Topic: Prayer in public school.  (Read 3885 times)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
Prayer in public school.
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »
Know I am no basis atheist by all means. And not some ignorant Christan either. I am more lax in between the middle of the 2 view points. I would like to know what you gentlemen think of a public school hosting a prayer every morning before the flag salute. My school is thinking about it, not forgetting the fact that Fallbrook, CA is a bible belt run town. Could peoples first amendment right be in fridge upon with this being inforced?
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Prayer in public school.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:20:50 pm »
Well, we used to say the Lord's Prayer every morning for most of school, and by grade 2 I had it completely memorized, but had no idea what it meant. For what that's worth.

I would so no, unless you also take time for a prayer for Jews, Muslims, Hindu, and anybody else who goes there.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:25:59 pm »
Yep, I'd have to agree with iago.  There are far too many religions -- it's just silly to allot time for one without allowing for the others.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:37:23 pm »
Yep, I'd have to agree with iago.  There are far too many religions -- it's just silly to allot time for one without allowing for the others.

Being that Majority of where I live are devote christens and when I mean Majority I say 94% I would feel that this could get passed. A momment of silence might work so any faiths can praise their gods in that allowed time. I might suggest that to the VP
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
A momment of silence might work so any faiths can praise their gods in that allowed time. I might suggest that to the VP
That's a great idea for a compromise.

Just make sure they let the atheists turn to their neighbours and play hangman. (kidding!)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:06:04 pm »
Just make sure they let the atheists turn to their neighbours and play hangman. (kidding!)

Hahaha!

Zero, I don't think it's fair to accommodate only for the majority, but I think your suggestion gets around that.  Call it a "moment of silence," not "Lord's Prayer" time.  That'd only cause unneeded controversy.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:08:18 pm »

Hahaha!

That's a joke from my CISSP book I'm reading.

"If you get too technical with managers, their eyes will glaze over. If you get too businessy with the IT guys, they'll start playing Hangman with their neighbours."

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:48:39 pm »
Heh, here in Ontario they banned the Lord's Prayer in public schools.  We spent like five classes discussing this topic in my law class.

http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/en/timePortals/milestones/122mile.asp
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
I don't see any problem with prayer in school...so long as it doesn't infringe on anybody else.  I would be opposed to the school delaying class time for prayer...it infringes on non-religious classmates' time.  I would also be opposed to the school requring prayer as that infringes on non-religious classmates' beliefs.

Probably the best solution is:  Have your religious peers come 30 minutes before class and pray then.  No harm done.
Probably the worst solution is:  Try to force the school to allot class time and special privileges for your religious peers.  That's unjust.

As for banning prayer...that's almost as bad as requiring it.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:43:52 pm »
Have your religious peers come 30 minutes before class and pray then.  No harm done.

Thats exactly what I was thinking :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
If your school is ONLY state funded and doesn't have some sort of provision against established religion, go for it, but if you recieve federal money there shouldn't be a specific prayer said.  Moment of silence works.

All of our highschools pray at graduation, it's tradition, it's culture, it's what we do.  I don't think it'll change any time soon.  Although, some nut job has already sued our school for the use of three crosses as a logo (it's been used for years, this moron recently moved here and decided to file a law suit).  The VAST majority of this town A) wishes this man would shut up B) wishes this man would leave C) wishes this man would kick the bucket ... and I think opinion (A) is the minority of those three

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »
"A moment of silence" is what I would suggest.  I encourage people praying whenever they can and I see no reason for a school to not allot some amount of time for students to pray to their God.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
The school district I went to had a 1 minute "moment of silence" every morning. I think thats the best solution, people can pray to whatever God they believe, and the atheists can just take a nap.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 12:10:35 am »
This is totally inapplicable to my current school as it's online, but last year in my old school a subject like this came up. The conclusion, a Christian club was started at 7:30AM on Thursdays. A staff member had to sponsor any club, but fortunately our VP was in on that. The sad part -- nobody goes.

This is about the right to do it, not the opportunity to do it, I'm guessing.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile