Author Topic: Music/Music Education  (Read 4703 times)

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• Dancing Midget of Love!
    • View Profile
Music/Music Education
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:58:39 pm »
Any Music Majors in this clan?

I am a JR. Music edu major with an emphasis in percussion. Was wondering who else is out there

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Music/Music Education
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:42:13 pm »
I thought about it, but then I went with a degree that had even less point than that :D!

I have a TON of friends in Music Ed., a few in performance, and even fewer in music business (WTF is that!?).

The ones in performance I question as they, the majority of them anyhow, aren't good enough to make a living doing it.

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:04:56 pm »
you picked a liberal arts degree didn't yah :D  Most of my friends are involved with music of some sort.  Music Edu as you said is probably the most popular ive seen with performance coming in second. Music business is exactly what it says. Its the business end of thing. There is a huge aspect of music that deals with business. From traveling with rock bands and what not to the business end of teaching in high school.

Performance majors I always question as well. There is a very small market out side orchestral playing for professional musicians. Tho a a degree in what ever does help when going out for a job :D

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:43 pm »
Government (political science) and Law & Society (prelaw basically), graduate in Dec., YEAH!  Then off to three more years for law :(

I can see just a regular MBA being more relevant in managing a band than a music business degree (I mean really, do you NEED to know music history crap to manage a band?)

A performance degree only helps get a professorship, I'd figure.  All you need to get an orchestral (or anything playing) gig is being able to play and play well.

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »
Political science. Interesting choice. You said that you thought about going into music. What did yah play and what turned you away from it

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:57 pm »
Clarinet & alto sax.
I thought about music ed for a brief while, I just needed an undergrad degree before law school (I've been set on law school for ... a decade?).  Poli sci and the Law & Society double major is easier (for me anyway) and more relevant to what I want to do (law and eventually politics)

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:46 am »
Good pick there. Political science is a much closer field to law then music. I have a friend right now wanting to get into the Physical Therapy program majoring in music. He isn't getting look at as serious as other people due to his bachelor degree being in something unrelated to the therapy program. Good pick on that one. Are you still playing at all?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:39:44 pm »
Last time I played in any ensemble was basket ball band last season ... it's been a while :D!

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:31 am »
haha pep bands ftw. I am actually "student director" of my colleges pep band (the band director didn't wanna do it so he combined it into the Band President's position). Try looking into some local community bands. If you enjoyed playing you can get back into it by joining one. I have found the music to be not as stressful as it was in school and I could site read most of the percussion parts (inc mallets/timp/snare/bass/etc)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:56 am »
We have the old folks' band and then a community band ... I would hate the community band.  It is crap.  They started it a few years ago; I'm not even sure if the band still exists.

Offline DeAtHZeRg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:17 pm »
lol crap community bands I have played in my fair share of them. I totally understand you on that one. Google up something and see if any local colleges offer any ensembles for the community.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:07:45 pm »
We're a small town.  Unless I want to drive to El Paso to be in their Youth Symphony (which I'm not sure I could make) I'm SOL.  I don't really have the time, either, that I should dedicate to practicing ... especially after not playing for over a year, heh!