Author Topic: Lecture series?  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Ender

• View Profile
Lecture series?
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:07:05 pm »
Hm, I've also decided (on the very contrary to my last guidelines) that I'd like to encourage the discussion of pure mathematics, since it's way cooler and far more beautiful than elementary problem-solving and high school math.

If you don't know what pure math is, then there's always wikipedia. In a succinct definition: pure math is rigorous, proof-based math that need not have any real-world applications, and is unlike anything in the high school curriculum.

How would you guys like it if I start a lecture series of posts on the topological derivation of calculus? There are really no prerequisites, and it's nothing like BC Calc (which isn't real math). How many people would participate in this? (I would leave some theorems for you to prove.)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Lecture series?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »
Hm, I've also decided (on the very contrary to my last guidelines) that I'd like to encourage the discussion of pure mathematics, since it's way cooler and far more beautiful than elementary problem-solving and high school math.

If you don't know what pure math is, then there's always wikipedia. In a succinct definition: pure math is rigorous, proof-based math that need not have any real-world applications, and is unlike anything in the high school curriculum.

How would you guys like it if I start a lecture series of posts on the topological derivation of calculus? There are really no prerequisites, and it's nothing like BC Calc (which isn't real math). How many people would participate in this? (I would leave some theorems for you to prove.)

I posted several rigorous calculus proof questions more than a year ago, and they are still unanswered. 

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »

I posted several rigorous calculus proof questions more than a year ago, and they are still unanswered. 

I can incorporate this =P

Speaking of which, knowing more analysis than I do, you'd be welcome to add your own insights/feedback. I was going to say this originally but I felt it might be imposing.

But first we'd have to see if there are enough people who'd participate =/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:47:07 pm by Ender »

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »
Hm, those problems you posted are cool and I'll get working on those sometime soon. I can't work on them before this Tuesday though since I have a big assignment due Tuesday (over ~150 proofs), but after Tuesday I can probably work on them. The reason I can't right now is not only because I'm busy but also because if there's overlap with my assignments then I'd be obliged not to receive critique.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:56:59 pm by Ender »