Author Topic: "Residential schools" (and natives)  (Read 2583 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
"Residential schools" (and natives)
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »
[video] http://archives.cbc.ca/society/education/topics/692-4006/

The stuff that happened was pretty scary!

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: "Residential schools" (and natives)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
Not really surprising.  I don't think anyone would disagree that what's happened in the U.S. concerning Catholic clergy and abuse has occurred else where all over the world many times before.

It's sad though that they were forced to go to these schools under federal mandate.  The U.S. isn't the only country that should feel shame concerning the treatment of natives.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:28:12 am »
I like how they casually refer to them as Indians. It adds irony to an otherwise utterly uninteresting story.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:42:39 am »
Well, calling them "Indians" is a traditional thing, here. We have "Indian reserves" and "Indian Acts" and stuff. It's kind of like using "Man" to refer to people in general -- it's just what's in all the law books, so it's commonly used.

What sucks, though, is that this is kind of a black eye in Canada's otherwise decent track record of human rights. :-/

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:35:57 pm »
Well, calling them "Indians" is a traditional thing, here. We have "Indian reserves" and "Indian Acts" and stuff. It's kind of like using "Man" to refer to people in general -- it's just what's in all the law books, so it's commonly used.

What sucks, though, is that this is kind of a black eye in Canada's otherwise decent track record of human rights. :-/

Well, around here, saying calling a native an Indian is like calling a nigger literate. It's just not PC.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I wouldn't say our track record is that great.  The Japanese Internment, the Metis (& Louis Riel), the building of the CPR, etc.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:38 pm »

Well, around here, saying calling a native an Indian is like calling a nigger literate. It's just not PC.
It isn't PC to call a nigger literate ... even if the nigger is?  Wow.  Weird.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »

I wouldn't say our track record is that great.  The Japanese Internment, the Metis (& Louis Riel), the building of the CPR, etc.
Sorry, I meant to say "relatively decent" -- you're absolutelly right, our country has done a lot of horrible things.