Author Topic: Listening to music at work  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
Listening to music at work
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:23:27 am »
Since I work at a big corporation, they do not allow us to keep music on our PC's (for obvious legalities). I came across this neat little website called imeem.com, which uses a embedded media player -- and from what I see its coded in flex -- and manages your playlist for you, free. Most of the songs on there are full tracks, so its basically having your music drive stored remotely.

Check it out! http://imeem.com

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Listening to music at work
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:45 am »
Set up a shoutcast server from your home box?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:24 am »
I'd be sort of wary of using Internet radio at work. It tends to chew through bandwidth, and some people may not appreciate it.

Personally, I bring my iPod.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:07 am »
That's another good idea.  And if you don't like using headphones all day, get an iTrip or whatever it's called.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:26 am »
I personally prefer headphones, because the point of the music is to drown out noise. :)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:47 am »
Set up a shoutcast server from your home box?

Cisco firewalls make that impossible sadly :(

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:26 am »
I'd be sort of wary of using Internet radio at work. It tends to chew through bandwidth, and some people may not appreciate it.

Personally, I bring my iPod.

In reality, I dumped the contents of my iPod on to my work machine's hard drive, but yeah same idea. Just one less thing for me to carry :)

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:52 am »
In reality, I dumped the contents of my iPod on to my work machine's hard drive, but yeah same idea. Just one less thing for me to carry :)
Heh, if the new Canadian copyright law passes (which everybody hopes it won't -- google Bill C-61), we may have to start scanning harddrives for copyrighted content (basically, forbid MP3 players from work machines) due to liability. Companies may be held liable for copyright content on their machines.

(It's possible that the US already has laws like that, I'm not sure how far the DMCA etc. extend).

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:50 am »
Heh, if the new Canadian copyright law passes (which everybody hopes it won't -- google Bill C-61), we may have to start scanning harddrives for copyrighted content (basically, forbid MP3 players from work machines) due to liability. Companies may be held liable for copyright content on their machines.

(It's possible that the US already has laws like that, I'm not sure how far the DMCA etc. extend).

Yeah, we already get that here in the States -- although I'm not quite sure as it being mandatory / a law or not -- an auditor from corporate comes and scans all users PC's in the office. The worst part is that they were freaking out about having Winamp and iTunes -- and some people get iPod's that are a company standard in some cases.