Author Topic: 3d Tracking  (Read 13537 times)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
Re: 3d Tracking
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
I should also add that if you do want to try something like echo location from timing, you'd be much much better off with a single fixed transmitter instead of like 4 or something. Atleast to start with anyways, this would greatly reduce the complexity of your system!
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 11:57:12 am »
Is the system going to be embedded everywhere? If not, how will it communicate, and with what?
The project's goal, as far as I understand, is not to be a portable solution.  The goal is to locate an object of interest in a room.  Like I said before, he isn't trying to reinvent GPS.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »
My suggestion is to forget trying to do echo location, you're going to need fancy hardware and stuff for that apparently.

Speakers and microphones for a project like this need not be terribly fancy - fidelity is completely irrelevant for the speaker (you can harvest the speakers of old computers/cars from a grave/junkyard), and sufficient microphones are not expensive.

Radio- and echo-location are two totally distinct approaches, so it's tough to say which would be easier. It certainly does seem that more people have attempted radio-location recently, though.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!