Author Topic: Asus eee pc laptops  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
Asus eee pc laptops
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »
Hello, I'm looking into buying a new asus 1000ha eee pc. I really like the fact that they are so cheap, but I am worried that I will sacrifice important features, for a lightweight frame and an inexpensive computer.

Part of the thing that concerns me is that I have noticed that some of the websites have confusing, and often wrong information. For example, this website says that it has a 160gb hard disc drive, and later says it has a solid state drive.

I also just read that the 1002ha has wireless 802.11 n, and bluetooth. The 1000ha has wireless 802.11 b/g, and also more battery life (about 1/3 longer; 6600 mAh, versus 4400 mAh)

The computer also doesn't have a disc drive, I'm not all that concerned about that, 'cause I was planning on getting an external drive for when I need it. But, do you think that this computer's BIOs would boot from USB, or even a USB CD drive?

What are your thoughts? Are the features like bluetooth, and wireless n really that important? Would most modern day routers let the b/g connect, as well as the n?

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Asus eee pc laptops
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:11:29 pm »
I've got a 1000h, and I'm fairly happy with it for basic uses such as taking notes in class. I've had no issues whatsoever with the wireless, and I've never even used the bluetooth. The unit does feel a little "cheap", but not too bad -- it doesn't feel like a thin piece of offbrand plastic, but it doesn't feel like a $4000 alienware, either. Keep in mind that you're buying a 1.6ghz atom with integrated graphics, though... even youtube lags a little without being in high performance mode. I plan to eventually get rid of it and buy something more powerful. If you don't plan to use it for anything too heavy, though, then go for it! It's definitely a conversation starter with how small it is.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:02:51 pm »
I've got a 1000h, and I'm fairly happy with it for basic uses such as taking notes in class. I've had no issues whatsoever with the wireless, and I've never even used the bluetooth. The unit does feel a little "cheap", but not too bad -- it doesn't feel like a thin piece of offbrand plastic, but it doesn't feel like a $4000 alienware, either. Keep in mind that you're buying a 1.6ghz atom with integrated graphics, though... even youtube lags a little without being in high performance mode. I plan to eventually get rid of it and buy something more powerful. If you don't plan to use it for anything too heavy, though, then go for it! It's definitely a conversation starter with how small it is.

Alright, cool, Thanks c0Ld. That's mostly what I was wondering, but, does your machine have the option to change the boot order to boot from the USB before the Hard Drive?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:03:17 am »
I saw one of these at a store a week or so ago. I tried to type on it and thought it would fucking annoy me with such a small keyboard if I owned one lol.

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »

Alright, cool, Thanks c0Ld. That's mostly what I was wondering, but, does your machine have the option to change the boot order to boot from the USB before the Hard Drive?

Yes, I've booted from usb with it before.

I saw one of these at a store a week or so ago. I tried to type on it and thought it would fucking annoy me with such a small keyboard if I owned one lol.

I got used to it pretty quick.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:32:30 am »

Yes, I've booted from usb with it before.

I got used to it pretty quick.

Yehaw. You got me, I'm going to get one.

Now, if only x86 could get more active.. I would have something to do on the internet.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:42:52 am »
Now, if only x86 could get more active.. I would have something to do on the internet.
Yeah, it's been pretty quiet for the holidays. And I'm not helping, either. :)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:02:34 pm »
Yeah, it's been pretty quiet for the holidays. And I'm not helping, either. :)

I've been trying to do my best, while not being annoying.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »
THE HOLIDAYS ARE BORING POST MORE YOU ASSHOLES
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 07:04:51 pm »
no u

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:45:52 pm »
Wow. I'm posting from my fireplace room.. on my laptop.. using wireless, on ubuntu! I'm amazed. My laptop wireless always hated linux. Sickkkk.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.