Author Topic: max video settings  (Read 5668 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
max video settings
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »
i just have to say how good wow looks with maxed out videos settings, including maxed out shadow quality. depending on the day of the week, i play on either my main computer at my apartment, or my older computer at my parent's house. i kind of choose where i sleep due to work being closer to my parents house.

whenever i come back to my apartment and play, the game looks so crisp and sharp and realistic. it's pretty wild. the view distances are so damn far... i can see across an entire zone. i can see mobs for like half of the view distance, but that's still a long way.

anyone else get to enjoy wow on max settings with high fps? it's so damn good. ;P
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: max video settings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:52 pm »
Yep.  Grizzly Hills looks so amazing from really high up on your flying mount looking down.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:56 pm »
Yep.  Grizzly Hills looks so amazing from really high up on your flying mount looking down.  :)

I should try that out. I never did really explore the Northrend zones. I've been playing an alt since my DK got to 80 and I'm all heroic epic'd out but have no guild to really run 10/25 mans on. I can't get any better gear until I do. My servers way low pop too, and basically dead. =\

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 01:28:42 am »
I used to play with everything maxed out @ 1680x1050 and it was awesome, even on my modest system. Until I started wotlk 25 mans. Whatever they did makes my computer die in 25 mans (and to a lesser extent dalaran once other people started hitting 80) despite getting like 50fps+ outside :( My fps used to suffer a bit in raids but now it's like a slideshow. Though I think it is a CPU issue since turning down most of the graphics settings seems to offer 0 improvement (and its the oldest part in my computer) I was thinking of in a core 2 duo now that they are el cheapo, anyone know how gracefully windows deals with a processor upgrade? :(
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:19:20 am »
A processor upgrade from the same architecture would be handled seamlessly.  A motherboard change to support a different processor, however, requires a reinstall of windows :/

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:32:13 pm »
Hitmen, do you have the shadow settings turned all the way down? The shadow quality reduces my fps big time on my older computer.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
Lucky.. I get 20fps at most on the lowest settings and that is only when there is nothing around me.  WoW isn't pretty on lowest settings. :(
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:50:51 pm »
Lucky.. I get 20fps at most on the lowest settings and that is only when there is nothing around me.  WoW isn't pretty on lowest settings. :(

i used to play wow on everything on the lowest settings for like a year. i went from that to everything on max settings and high fps. totally different game, imo :P

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:31:09 pm »

i used to play wow on everything on the lowest settings for like a year. i went from that to everything on max settings and high fps. totally different game, imo :P
Ugh.. /jealous
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »
it's cheap to upgrade your computer now days. i did it on a horrible minimum wage job. you can buy the no-name brand high power video cards for cheap. same goes with ram. i bought 4GB of RAM in a bundle (it was a special at fry's) for like $60.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:10 pm »
This is old, but I finally upgraded my CPU. All settings back to max @ 1680x1050, getting like 50-80fps in dalaran. I'm happy. I also upgraded my motherboard but windows managed to survive completely intact (well except for activation, but that was easy enough to fix)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:22:19 am »
Nice. My video card is the last thing that I could really max out. I don't really have issues with WoW, but I do have the shadows disabled. Also, it sounds like 3.1 is introducing some higher res models, and several other higher quality video settings. Sounds like the game will look slightly better. With shadows enabled my fps drops by like 10-15. I actually don't remember what amount of fps I get right now. A video card upgrade would require a card greater than 512MB which would probably cost me a couple hundred for a good one. =(

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:31:55 am »
Nice. My video card is the last thing that I could really max out. I don't really have issues with WoW, but I do have the shadows disabled. Also, it sounds like 3.1 is introducing some higher res models, and several other higher quality video settings. Sounds like the game will look slightly better. With shadows enabled my fps drops by like 10-15. I actually don't remember what amount of fps I get right now. A video card upgrade would require a card greater than 512MB which would probably cost me a couple hundred for a good one. =(
Or you could wait a bit, and those cards will cost considerably less :)