Author Topic: WPF  (Read 2887 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
WPF
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:01 am »
I never really understood what WPF was, or what it did. I came across a program, though, that was written using the WPF and when I installed and ran it I was blown away. The program I downloaded was the Blu Twitter client, by Thirteen23 or something.

Seeing all the eye candy possibilities has me running through like 5 different programs, in my head, that I'd like to make. I may just have to put my XNA game development on hold for this.

Has anyone messed with WPF or written any neat looking apps?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
Re: WPF
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:57 pm »
Warrior's bot, superiority, uses WPF.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
Technically, WPF is a divergence from the Win32 API for Windows programming.  I can't see Microsoft getting away from Win32, but the truth is that, if they were going to, WPF would probably be a primary way to do it.  It's a hardware accelerated-based API for rich apps; Silverlight is based on it (it was called WPF/e for "everywhere" when it was in early tech releases) and it's got its roots in .NET.

WPF foregoes the Win32 standard of having windows.  Everything is a "Visual" and most classes have a fairly deep inheritance tree.  The nice thing is that an appropriately-architected control should be able to be skinned any way a designer wants, without touching the code for it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »
Technically, WPF is a divergence from the Win32 API for Windows programming.  I can't see Microsoft getting away from Win32, but the truth is that, if they were going to, WPF would probably be a primary way to do it.  It's a hardware accelerated-based API for rich apps; Silverlight is based on it (it was called WPF/e for "everywhere" when it was in early tech releases) and it's got its roots in .NET.

WPF foregoes the Win32 standard of having windows.  Everything is a "Visual" and most classes have a fairly deep inheritance tree.  The nice thing is that an appropriately-architected control should be able to be skinned any way a designer wants, without touching the code for it.

All I really read was the Wikipedia article on it. I think it mentioned that Microsoft was slowly moving in the direction of getting away from Win32. VS2010 was re-written, apparantly, using WPF. I'm installing the beta as we speak. It looks pretty flashy.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:08:17 pm »
Hey! I use Blu too! It's pretty amazing.

If you decide to get started with WPF and need any help you can reach me on AIM @ WarriorR1337. I'll be glad to help.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling