Author Topic: What do "hardcore" raiding guilds want to see from an application?  (Read 8406 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
I have horrible luck with guild applications. I don't tend to make online friendships in WoW (I just play, and don't often talk on vent for fun), so I rarely join guilds based on reputation. I always seem to start over fresh with every application.

But, I think most hardcore guilds want to see a few things from applicants.

• Ofcourse effort into gear, gems, enchants. This should be obvious.
  • Experience in whatever content the guild is attempting. Your achievments will be scrutinized.
  • A raiding spec that'll result in maximum raid utility. Don't fuck up here, or you're in for some trolling.
  • A functional UI.
  • Are you a clicker? Clicking takes away the use of your mouse for mouse turning.

I mean, I don't know. It seems pretty standard and simple. I just applied to the number 1 guild on our server, and they're like top 10 in the US, also. They're making fun of my app, sort of, because they think I don't use the mouse to turn based on my action bars. I always use my mouse to turn. =\
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:46:22 pm by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: What do "hardcore" raiding guilds want to see from an application?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:11 pm »
 /shrug

Apply to a guild progressing through Hardmodes but one that has a constant / competent core group.  Armory link + guild info about the guild you're applying to IMO.

Edited:  For the guild you're apping to.  I'd say you should have at least cleared Uld25 with a good portion of the Hardmodes down.  Close to full BiS enchanted with top end enchants.  I do a weird combination of clicking / keybinds and strafing / mouse turning.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:25:58 pm by Furious »
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:29:38 am »
Yea, I've got the current BiS main hand weapon, and ranged weapon for MM hunters. BiS for everything else will take awhile, considering a lot of it now is the Heroic mode ToC / Triumph badge stuff. My current guild has full cleared 10 man ToC - we just killed the new boss, AnubArak, tonight.

I always buy epic gems, and the best enchants possible.

I didn't app to the guild under geared, or as a liability at all. They're just a close-knit guild and seem to make fun of every applicant. They're also not short on applicants. People apply from other realms, and stuff. They've got a huge ego. My only hit would be that I don't even have experience in every regular Ulduar boss still. My guild hasn't cleared Ulduar in weeks - we start it, and then do ToC the other nights.

I did get an offer from the #2 guild on the server, though. I'm just so bad at gquitting. I always feel like I'm hurting all of their feelings or something. lol. So, I haven't gquit, yet. =(

edit: Also, I'm not sure I really want to gquit. I've risen in the ranks quickly. I'm my current guilds best hunter, if not the best DPSer all together, so I'm part of their main 10 man group. Our loot system is awesome, too. The ToC trophies, or whatever, goto whatever Raider ranked member has the most Triumph badges (so they can instantly buy the item, and help out sooner). It's a pretty fun, cool guild, but they just sort of suck in 25 mans. We'll never do Ulduar hard modes, and probably never down Algalon. We've got a solid 10 man core, though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:34:23 am by warz »

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:40:23 am »
Heh.  The guild I'm in is 13/14 with "HM" FL/XT/Ingis/Kologarn down.  Cleared everything pre-Uld ( OS3D 10/25 ) and we're 4/5 TotC.  We've got a pretty solid guild,  I enjoy raiding with them 95% of the time.  People constantly fucking up on the same thing is irritating though.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:39 pm »
Heh.  The guild I'm in is 13/14 with "HM" FL/XT/Ingis/Kologarn down.  Cleared everything pre-Uld ( OS3D 10/25 ) and we're 4/5 TotC.  We've got a pretty solid guild,  I enjoy raiding with them 95% of the time.  People constantly fucking up on the same thing is irritating though.

How long does it take you to get through Naxx/Uld?  I've been frustrated with my guild just being freaking slow at everything....  It seems over the top to do 25-man Naxx over the course of 8 hours.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
How long does it take you to get through Naxx/Uld?  I've been frustrated with my guild just being freaking slow at everything....  It seems over the top to do 25-man Naxx over the course of 8 hours.

8 hours? ouch. I've been in groups like that before. My guild doesn't even formally run Naxx anymore. I'm sure we'd clear it in 2-3 hours, though. I've been in amazing pugs where everyone is over geared, and we've cleared it in about 2-3 hours. The trick is to do the harder wings first, and leave Arachnid for last. People always seem to get lazy and start fucking up after a few wings, so if Arachnid is last it's a pleasant ending.

I've been in Ulduar pugs that seem to speed through bosses relatively quickly, also. They just never finish! :-(

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:06:38 pm »
I'm fully geared... for patch 3.0 (4/5 T7.5, rest epics (Other than a trinket!)), and before I quit we could do a naxx immortal run in 2 hours, except someone always fucked up on saph/kelthuzad and I never got the damn achievement.  :\
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:40 pm »
Do you think I could be competitive for a raid anymore?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Ithcano
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:14 pm »

Gear is looking a little dated, but you could get easily get back into shape just with heroic ToC gear and badge stuff. But especially as a healer, being good is more important than having good gear. Even if your gear sucks you can hold your own if you are an amazing player.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:20 pm »

Not for Ulduar, but there's absolutely no reason you wouldn't be able to find a Naxx 25 group, or heroic ToC group that'd say nothing about your gear. Everything gives Emblems of Conquest, now, which purchase some of the best gear in the game right now. So, just do both Naxx 10/25 weekly, and you'll be high 3000, low 4000 gear score quickly. Gear from ToC is a great started. Regular 5 man ToC drops epics that are better than mostly anything you're wearing - and the heroic 5 man version drops ever better gear. Most gear from Naxx or ToC should go to you if you need it, too, since most other people already have everything. (Right now is a good time to be a non-geared 80, because you can get geared quickly)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »
Heh.  The guild I'm in is 13/14 with "HM" FL/XT/Ingis/Kologarn down.  Cleared everything pre-Uld ( OS3D 10/25 ) and we're 4/5 TotC.  We've got a pretty solid guild,  I enjoy raiding with them 95% of the time.  People constantly fucking up on the same thing is irritating though.

How long does it take you to get through Naxx/Uld?  I've been frustrated with my guild just being freaking slow at everything....  It seems over the top to do 25-man Naxx over the course of 8 hours.

We haven't done Naxx in ages.  We used to do it over two nights, probably about 4hrs total.  Can't really give an estimate on Ulduar either because we've been working on Hardmodes so it hasn't been a straight run in awhile.

We do have a few 10m groups running for Ulduar Hardmodes and TotC.  8hrs for Naxx25 at this point is WAY over the top.  I'd say 4-5hrs if you're taking breaks and people are still screwing up on things.

Edit:  @ The gear score thing, 3000+ gear scores is straight Ulduar gear.  I logged out in my offspec Feral gear and it only has me at 2116.  That's fully enchanted, ilvl200+ pieces and full epic gems ( 6 @ 200, 3 @ 213, 3 @ 219, 3 @ 226 ).  And has me at 2337 in my Balance gear, which is mostly 213+ with a few terribad pieces.

Double Edit:  Our top retadin is top 15 server and only has a score of 2635.  Looking at people in the top guild on the server, 2700 seems to be about as high as it rolls.  And that's mostly BiS, dunno where you're looking at gear scores.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:03:09 pm by Furious »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:02:35 pm »

We haven't done Naxx in ages.  We used to do it over two nights, probably about 4hrs total.  Can't really give an estimate on Ulduar either because we've been working on Hardmodes so it hasn't been a straight run in awhile.

We do have a few 10m groups running for Ulduar Hardmodes and TotC.  8hrs for Naxx25 at this point is WAY over the top.  I'd say 4-5hrs if you're taking breaks and people are still screwing up on things.

Edit:  @ The gear score thing, 3000+ gear scores is straight Ulduar gear.  I logged out in my offspec Feral gear and it only has me at 2116.  That's fully enchanted, ilvl200+ pieces and full epic gems ( 6 @ 200, 3 @ 213, 3 @ 219, 3 @ 226 ).  And has me at 2337 in my Balance gear, which is mostly 213+ with a few terribad pieces.

Double Edit:  Our top retadin is top 15 server and only has a score of 2635.  Looking at people in the top guild on the server, 2700 seems to be about as high as it rolls.  And that's mostly BiS, dunno where you're looking at gear scores.

You're using a different gear score. Are you going off of wowhead's gearscore for your armory import? The most common in-game gear score addon is different than wowhead's. The game addon one, 3000 is low... pre-naxx gear, and 4500+ is Ulduar geared, and 5000 I haven't seen yet, but would be entirely Ulduar 25 geared with several good upgrades from 25 man ToC. I'm not sure exactly how the different things calculate gear scores, but I know they're different - wowhead's is lower. Some other site also has their own gear score number. I think most people tend to use the "GearScore" in-game addon, and go by those numbers. (on our server, and my friend's horde server, anyways)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:33 pm »
Going off of wowheroes or w/e it's called.  Which is what I generally see people using.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 12:18:44 am »
Going off of wowheroes or w/e it's called.  Which is what I generally see people using.

It's always crazy to see what other realms use. Nobody uses the in-game addon? It's not useful unless you can see somebody's gear score when they join your raid group - which the addon does. =P

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 12:49:42 am »

It's always crazy to see what other realms use. Nobody uses the in-game addon? It's not useful unless you can see somebody's gear score when they join your raid group - which the addon does. =P

/shrug

I don't pug raids, so.  And as always.  Skill > Gear,  I see plenty of 'geared' players that are terrible.