Author Topic: Paranormal Activity  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
Paranormal Activity
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:47:11 pm »
Has anyone else seen it? I thought it was pretty legit. First movie to actually kinda scare me in the past... long time.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Activity
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:26:35 am »
Damn. I legitimately got goosebumps from this movie. It wasn't scary like... a lingering scary where you're afraid to sleep, but it was definitely pretty awesome.

Granted, I watched the screener that got leaked, so I didn't get the theatrical ending.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:46:34 am »
I watched it at the theater alone. It started a bit slow, but it definitely picked up. It got to a point where I was asking myself, "How can the next night be any worse?"
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 03:11:31 am »
It got to a point where I was asking myself, "How can the next night be any worse?"

And you got your answer. ;)

Anyway, re-watched it with my roommate and two friends. They were very impressed, including one who was too drunk to be scared. He enjoyed the idea though. My roommate actually didn't want to finish watching the movie he was so terrified. I made him. Long story short, they're all out drinking because they're too scared to fall asleep (sober).

I read the difference between the original ending and the theatrical ending, and I definitely must say the original ending is probably better overall. The one in theaters sounds cliché with a climax/ending to the movie; the original one definitely keeps the same level of suspense.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:51:47 am »
I saw the one with the original ending, and just watch the one from the theatrical one. I like the original much more.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:06 pm »
I watched it.  It was pretty creepy, but I didn't find it horrifying.  As a general rule, though, I dislike movies that have the stupid shaky camera shots.  It makes me ill, and I think it's unnecessary.

Does someone wanna post in spoiler tags what the original ending was?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:53 pm »
[spoiler]Theatrical ending: When he walks downstairs after she starts screaming, rather than her walking back up the stairs dripping blood after stabbing him, she drags him back up with her and before you see her, she throws the body into the camera. She goes and stands over the lifeless body, looks at the camera, and jumps into it. It ends the movie on a climactic point, and leaves room for a sequel if they really wanted. That's about all it had going for it. For me, it was just too cheesy sounding.

Original ending: he walks downstairs, he gets stabbed, she comes back up with blood on her shirt, and sits at the side of the bed, rocking back and forth, as if possessed. A day passes, her friend comes over, you don't see anything but her friend screams and runs out (she found the boyfriend stabbed) -- 30 minutes later, cops show up, they walk upstairs, they find her and shine a flashlight on her. She comes out of her daze and is like "Wait, where is Nicah?" and runs at them; then, the ghost slams the door behind them and the cops startle and shoot her dead as she's walking to them. They go to look in the room and find nothing.[/spoiler]

I found it creepy, and when I went to sleep, it set in. It made me lose at least a few hours of sleep. =P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:31:27 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:23:40 am »
Here's another alternate ending, screened only once and dubbed too disturbing for theaters:
[spoiler]Similar to the original ending: "THE THROAT
In this version, which the actors say “really disturbed audiences,” Katie goes back to the bedroom after the melee downstairs. She grins at the camera — and slits her own throat. The demon then leaves her body, and Katie falls lifelessly to the floor.[/spoiler]
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 03:22:58 pm »
I like that ending the most, Armin.  :D
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »
Here's another alternate ending, screened only once and dubbed too disturbing for theaters:
[spoiler]Similar to the original ending: "THE THROAT
In this version, which the actors say “really disturbed audiences,” Katie goes back to the bedroom after the melee downstairs. She grins at the camera — and slits her own throat. The demon then leaves her body, and Katie falls lifelessly to the floor.[/spoiler]

Yeah. I read about that one, I didn't read how awesome it sounded though. I just read:

[spoiler]She then commits suicide.[/spoiler]

It didn't tell me all those details.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:48:49 pm »
I didn't like the real ending, and I don't think that alternate ending would have been any better.

I did like the rest of the movie, though. It was a bit slow, and I think on DVD I would have fallen asleep, but it's a good theater movie. :)