Author Topic: "Just shut up"  (Read 2187 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
"Just shut up"
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »
http://carlosmiller.com/2010/05/07/attorney-blogger-told-he-is-not-allowed-to-shoot-video-in-front-of-maryland-courthouse

The article doesn't have much to do with the video (but it's too, too -- I recommend the blog).

I posted something like this before, and I'll likely do it again. What it comes down to is, if police want to question you, and either you are a suspect or think you might be one, "just shut up". You can't do anything but harm yourself if you talk to them.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: "Just shut up"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:41 pm »
Nice. :)

I like all of the Law&Order-type shows where the cops are like "GAAAAWWWWDD DAMMMNIIITT D:" when people "lawyer up".

I like the video.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:02:17 pm »
Haha totally! After watching a video I posted here awhile back (thank you Google!), I started thinking about it more while watching Crime shows, and realizing that the vast majority of the people they 'get' are directly because of saying something to the police.

By the same token, which they talk about a lot more in that other video, even if you are fully innocent, talking to the cops can still hurt you. You can incriminate yourself by accident, or cast doubt enough for an arrest, but you can never do the opposite (self incrimination = ok, self exoneration = hearsay).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »
Hehe. I enjoyed the video.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »
That guy is a bit fruity.  But nonetheless good content.

Knowing myself, I would say something and have it taken completely out of context or the wrong way due to inarticulateness or something.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:43:37 am »
Haha totally! After watching a video I posted here awhile back (thank you Google!), I started thinking about it more while watching Crime shows, and realizing that the vast majority of the people they 'get' are directly because of saying something to the police.

By the same token, which they talk about a lot more in that other video, even if you are fully innocent, talking to the cops can still hurt you. You can incriminate yourself by accident, or cast doubt enough for an arrest, but you can never do the opposite (self incrimination = ok, self exoneration = hearsay).
Truth. So really, if you do a crime, admit to it without the presence of a lawyer and without being given the opportunity to call one, and they can't use that confession against you. ;)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:46:23 pm »

Truth. So really, if you do a crime, admit to it without the presence of a lawyer and without being given the opportunity to call one, and they can't use that confession against you. ;)
Not entirely true. You have to ask for a lawyer first. If they continue questioning you, they can't use that confession. But if you don't ask for a lawyer, the confession is valid.