Author Topic: Megaman!  (Read 3876 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Megaman!
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »
Over the past couple months, me and my friend dusted off the old NES and played through the Megaman series. We've beaten 1 - 8, and X1 and X2. X5 and X6 suck, and I'm not going to play them. We're part way through X3 and 9.

Has anybody here played Megaman 9 or 10? As a fan of the old 80's/early 90's platform games, I'm really excited with that they did. And they did an amazing job recreating the look and feel of Megamans (Megamen?) 1 - 6. They took the best parts of each, put them together, and designed a bunch of great levels with great bosses and everything.

I'm disappointed with what happened to Megamen 7 and 8, and the X series. They are still fun (not counting X5 and X6, those suck), but they tried too hard to be different. The SNES and PS days were all about being new and flashy and all that nonsense. Thank God companies like Capcom have realized that retro is in, and that people will play retro games given the chance.

So yeah, for the price of Megaman 9, I'd highly recommend buying it.

Some levels are fairly easy, and some are really hard. Tornado Man's level is killer hard. I don't know how I beat it (literally.. I drank heavily while playing, and literally don't remember beating the level. I went back this morning and couldn't beat it again, and didn't even recognize parts!)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Megaman!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »
I downloaded MegaMan 9 a while ago, but never got around to playing it, but I've played Megaman 1-8 and Megaman X-X6, as well as some of the spinoff games on the gameboy and things like Command Mission and Legends. I've been meaning to play X7, X8, Megaman 9, and Megaman 10.

And I love the X series. X-X5 are some of my favorite games, with X and X2 as my top picks. I prefer the dashing and dodging to the carefully timed jumps of the classic series, but enjoy the older ones, too.

I agree completely on Megaman 7 and 8; those were screwed up. They were far too easy and rather immature.

If you're interested in playing them on another system with the save feature, there are collections of the games available. X-X6 come in one and 1-8 come on another for the PS2 or gamecube.
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »
I do like the dashing, wall sliding, and upgrades from the X series, but it's no replacement for the awesome gameplay of the originals. Going back and forth between X3 and 9, which I did today, is weird. They're like whole different genres.

Megaman 7 was super easy, right up till the final boss which was hard as all (bad word). Holy hell he was hard!

Also, saving's for chumps, passwords are where it's at! (just kidding, somewhere around 7 and X we switched to PS2 versions. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:49 am »
Can retro be "in", by definition?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago