Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 18714 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: New Rig
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »
Oh, I'm not suggesting you buy a new one.  If you like it more than other keyboards, then by all means stick with it.  I'm bickering because you seem to think it's in some way functionally superior to more modern keyboards.  If it's aesthetic or nostalgic or something, then I understand, and I can't argue with that.
Where do I opine about the functional superiority/inferiority of either Model M or any other keyboard?  The argument started when I was told to upgrade my keyboard.  We've been arguing about my choice of keyboard.  Not functionality! I so happen to like the way it feels and sounds.  I've said so repeatedly!

You want to argue with me that the Model M sucks.  Why else would you post about it?  That's all and well, however, what is suck? I interpret absolutes of opinion to be determined by the general consensus which seems to favor Model M.  How else would you measure one opinion against another?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 05:55:37 pm »
Oh, I'm not suggesting you buy a new one.  If you like it more than other keyboards, then by all means stick with it.  I'm bickering because you seem to think it's in some way functionally superior to more modern keyboards.  If it's aesthetic or nostalgic or something, then I understand, and I can't argue with that.
Where do I opine about the functional superiority/inferiority of either Model M or any other keyboard?  The argument started when I was told to upgrade my keyboard.  We've been arguing about my choice of keyboard.  Not functionality! I so happen to like the way it feels and sounds.  I've said so repeatedly!

shrugs... I guess I got the impression that you were arguing it was better in some meaningful way.  Sorry. :)

You want to argue with me that the Model M sucks.  Why else would you post about it?  That's all and well, however, what is suck? I interpret absolutes of opinion to be determined by the general consensus which seems to favor Model M.  How else would you measure one opinion against another?

No, not really.  I didn't really mean to be so argumentative.  It just seemed odd to me that someone would prefer those things over a a more... serene... keyboard.  I definitely recognize the nostalgic/retro component... I guess it just means nothing to me.

I think that's a silly way to measure all things subjective.  I don't think there exists a good way to do it, though.  When I say "it sucks", I mean "I'd never want to use that thing", not "no one should ever want to use that thing".

Sorry for the off topic.  If I were a better moderator, I'd split this off. :)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:38 pm »
The goal is to find awesome parts for great prices, here's what I have proposed:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15085686

I think rabbit's PSU is better because of the PFC feature, and with rebate it's only $5 more than the one in the above list.

The AMD Phenon II X6 has an integrated memory controller that is limited to DDR3 1333.  Unless you plan to upgrade the processor in the future, I think it's a little much to spend $185 on this motherboard.  The one in the wish list above is very good for the price.  I suppose the only limitation is 1 PCIe 2.0 slot.  Do you need more?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »
I might want to upgrade later down the line to dual 5970s.  Muahahaha!  But really, I'm pretty set in everything except the case and the motherboard right now.  The 1200 was really just there for filler, and is the biggest and most expensive case I'd even consider buying (I know and did know it was overkill).  The motherboard I'll probably swap out for the one nslay suggested as well.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 10:31:08 am »
I might want to upgrade later down the line to dual 5970s.  Muahahaha!  But really, I'm pretty set in everything except the case and the motherboard right now.  The 1200 was really just there for filler, and is the biggest and most expensive case I'd even consider buying (I know and did know it was overkill).  The motherboard I'll probably swap out for the one nslay suggested as well.

You might want to get a more powerful PSU then.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:37 am »
I jest (for now).  Anyway, I swapped the Antec 1200 for a 902.  Right now, the price is $1,695.25 after shipping, and there's another $30 I can save with rebates.  Woo!  That gives me a bit more for my monitor budget :D

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:06 am »
The reasoning behind my card is that I will be playing on Ultra while on-the-fly encoding and streaming the games.  If it was just a matter of playing, I'd get something cheaper.

Thanks for the tip about the HDD, though, I hadn't noticed that.  Switched out the drive for another, and in the end it only cost another $5.

You will want a modular power supply for a mid tower case.  It gets unbelievably crowded!

This is the PSU I used for my Antec 900.  If you care about looks, it complements the Antec's blue LED style quite well.  It's more expensive, but it is 1000W and also has PFC and supposedly 80%+ efficient (Edit: It's also modular with high quality attachable cables ... see pics).  I don't particularly care for the blue LED lights of the Antec case, just the excellent air intake and the big 200mm fan on the top (Core i7 gets hot!).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:05:32 am by nslay »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 06:59:57 am »
I'm going to be not plugging in the LED power cables.  Computer lights actually do keep me up at night.  I even put electrical tape over the power and blinky lights on my current computer.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 10:06:34 am »
I'm going to be not plugging in the LED power cables.  Computer lights actually do keep me up at night.  I even put electrical tape over the power and blinky lights on my current computer.

I have an Antec 900 which I assume is similar to the 902 and 1200.  There is no way to not plug in the LED lights.  You'll have to snip wires (I wouldn't know where).  I read a 902 review that complained that the LEDs couldn't be shut off.  This has been my experience with the 900.

EDIT:
Cons: Case is near impossible to wire efficiently without midget hands, it took 4-5 hours to run wiring cleanly for me (im a freak and cant see a single wire). stock fans have LED's that cannot be turned off (in front) so its a nightlight when im trying to sleep, for like $30 i exchanged some newer, higher performance fans all around, not cause i NEEDED them, but cause i wanted a dark case at night. If you have HUGE graphics cards like me (dual 5850's) then the hard drives will not fit directly behind them, you have to move them a slot up or down. Thats about it, very few complaints to speak of, lots of screws though, patience is key with this case.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:11:11 am by nslay »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 10:20:56 am »
Hey rabbit, here are two similarly priced modular PSUs with 850 Watts and PFC. What do you think?

They don't have the high quality aircraft-style connectors.  Not that it matters so much.

EDIT:
The second one has a 3-way LED switch.  So it's possible to shut off the LED on that PSU.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:28:21 am by nslay »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:09 am »
Rabbit, here are some pictures of how crowded it gets in a midtower case.  Hopefully this should also help you gauge whether your 5970 will fit or not (The GTX 470 fit fine).

With see-through cover on
Without see-through cover on

You can see some dust in my system.  The 900 has no dust cover.  You made the better choice for the 902 because it has a dust cover.

You can't really route those power cables through the back or anything clever.  Because of the placement of the PSU and the power connectors on the motherboard, I had to go over the graphics card.

You'll also notice that the chassis fans only have IDE power connectors.  This means you can't easily plug them into the motherboard which is desirable since the motherboard would throttle them.  There are little switches that control their speed, but they stay at that speed the whole time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:23:20 pm by nslay »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2010, 08:01:00 pm »
I'm not a fan of Kingwin.  I've read a lot about them (mostly bad), and my fomer roommate's brother never used them, and he was one of those "I haven't bought the latest stuff in 3 weeks...I'm outdated!".  I never thought to ask him why, but with all the bad reviews I can make a guess.  I'm definitely not going to buy that 1st one you linked..Kingwin on Newegg with no reviews.....no thanks..

As for the case, I'm going to have to move my HDDs to fit the 5970, but:

The 5970 is about 4 inches longer than the GTX 470..still think it'll fit?  I can't really tell what with all them wires in the exact worst position to judge :P

[edit]
Found this while looking at other PSUs.  I lol'd.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:11:17 pm by rabbit »

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:48 pm »
I'm not a fan of Kingwin.  I've read a lot about them (mostly bad), and my fomer roommate's brother never used them, and he was one of those "I haven't bought the latest stuff in 3 weeks...I'm outdated!".  I never thought to ask him why, but with all the bad reviews I can make a guess.  I'm definitely not going to buy that 1st one you linked..Kingwin on Newegg with no reviews.....no thanks..
The PSU I bought has a 5-egg rating and I found it on the newegg 'top sellers' list.  This indepth review of the Kingwin Mach 1 1000W is also favorable (tested in a lab).  The only bad comments I've seen for Kingwin are about the lack of customer service ... and of course, the typical unlucky buyer who got a defect but discounted that possibility.

You're not limited to Kingwin, although, they do hold patents for modular PSU.  Why not check if Corsair has modular PSU?  If your case is anything like mine, you're going to want modular (read reviews).

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »
The plastic component just immediately behind the graphics card in my photos is removable if that helps.  There are two drive bays (Each can hold 3 hard disks).  Each drive bay has a fan in the front (which is visible from the front of the case).  As you can see in my picture, the bottom drive bay has a disk in it.  The top drive bay is empty and used for pure air intake.  But, I'm relatively certain that plastic piece is removable.  The drive bays themselves can be interchanged too.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:33 pm »
The top result in "Best Rating" for modular 801-900W modular power supplies is a Cosair, though it's $170.  I'm thinking about this PSU.