Author Topic: I got a new computer!  (Read 2944 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
I got a new computer!
« on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »
I got an iMac 27" i7 with 8gb of memory!  Check out my desktop (attached) - I have it attached to my 24.5" Samsung.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: I got a new computer!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »
nice!

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:07 am »
Bee Tee Dub - I returned that iMac because they released a new product line like a week later.  I just got the replacement. 

Still a 27" @ 2560x1440.  Specs: Core i7 @ 2.93GHz.  8gb of memory @ 1333MHz (4x2gb).  250GB SSD + 2TB SATA drive.  Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB video memory.  Windows rates it as a 7.0 with the lowest subscore still being the primary hard drive; processor and memory get 7.5, both graphics scores get 7.2.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:53:06 am »
Bee Tee Dub - I returned that iMac because they released a new product line like a week later.  I just got the replacement. 

Still a 27" @ 2560x1440.  Specs: Core i7 @ 2.93GHz.  8gb of memory @ 1333MHz (4x2gb).  250GB SSD + 2TB SATA drive.  Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB video memory.  Windows rates it as a 7.0 with the lowest subscore still being the primary hard drive; processor and memory get 7.5, both graphics scores get 7.2.

Are you running Windows in a VM? If not is there a reason you're spending all the money on an iMac just to install Windows on it? If it's the monitor you want you can buy their bad ass monitor.

I got that same i7 processor + mobo combo at Fry's Electronics as a packaged sale deal not long ago for ~$300. Basically a free mobo. Buying a 250GB SSD separately would be pretty expensive - not sure how much you paid for the iMac but I'm guessing near $2000. Could probably have save $500-800 building that same machine on your own. (without the expensive monitor included, which is kind of the clincher for iMacs, i guess)

Edit: Ok, after looking at the new iMacs, I'm going to raise my estimated cost of that iMac to closer to $3000, :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:59:59 am by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:53:08 pm »
Grrrr, tried to spend $2300 on a MBP today online and it happens that debit cards have a stupid transaction limit so it got denied.  Lame.

Had to cancel order.  Guess I'll try again but use two debit cards.  Lame.  Sucks that I don't have a credit card with a high credit limit.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »
Are you running Windows in a VM?
No.
If not is there a reason you're spending all the money on an iMac just to install Windows on it?
Boot Camp.  I want the ability to run OS X when I need to.

If it's the monitor you want you can buy their bad ass monitor.
That's part of it.  Monitors by themselves are super expensive, but the whole computer is in that little giant space.

I got that same i7 processor + mobo combo at Fry's Electronics as a packaged sale deal not long ago for ~$300. Basically a free mobo. Buying a 250GB SSD separately would be pretty expensive - not sure how much you paid for the iMac but I'm guessing near $2000. Could probably have save $500-800 building that same machine on your own. (without the expensive monitor included, which is kind of the clincher for iMacs, i guess)

Edit: Ok, after looking at the new iMacs, I'm going to raise my estimated cost of that iMac to closer to $3000, :P
Yeah, with the education discount it was about $3000.  I could have saved that money, but I have had really bad luck with my last 2 desktops that I've built (I've built my last 6 or so desktops).  With this, I get peace of mind that it'll work right, plus I get to save all the space (since it's just the screen) AND it's silent.  It makes no noise.

Drawbacks were that it didn't include USB3 or the new FireWire version, but I can live with those things being missing.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:25 pm »
The Apple Cinema Display 27" is either $799 or $899. Can't remember.

Someone suggested Dremelling an eSATA port onto the back. :P

If I could afford a high-end Mac, it'd be a Mac Pro. I hear PowerPC G5's still out-benchmark the new MacBooks.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:08:47 am »
Grrrr, tried to spend $2300 on a MBP today online and it happens that debit cards have a stupid transaction limit so it got denied.  Lame.

Had to cancel order.  Guess I'll try again but use two debit cards.  Lame.  Sucks that I don't have a credit card with a high credit limit.
I don't know about the US, but when that happened to me here I just called my bank from the store and they upped my daily transaction limit for 24 hours.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:37:47 pm »

I don't know about the US, but when that happened to me here I just called my bank from the store and they upped my daily transaction limit for 24 hours.

Cool.  I'll have to give the bank a call Monday and ask.  I've been procrastinating buying a new laptop for over a year, same with building a new desktop... the fact that yesterday I finally motivated myself to spend that much money, and the attempt failed miserably, only gives me an excuse to procrastinate some more.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org